Favorite cowbell?

gmiller598

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up the LP Steve Gadd signature bell and I have an LP ES-5. Just curious if everyone has their favorite "go-to" cowbell that they like and prefer.

egw

Reaction score
My LP Timbale cowbell has been my go-to for 25 years now. It's covered in duct tape and has a fair amount of rust, but sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LP Mambo...which is the same cowbell as the Steve Gadd model, with a different mount.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
My dream cowbell is a Paiste/Ludwig cowbell very hard to acquire, But I've been using an LP Black beauty. fantastic sounding cowbell, it's starting to get some rust spots on it now.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Mine would be my JCR, sadly stolen.

I am pity that tragic thief’s soul, as he may sadly find a day when his wicked life has caught up with him, and he is going to fear the reaper.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My #1 is an LP from the 70's, and I think what sets it apart from the newer ones isn't some mystical vintage mojo but the fact its sheet metal is much thicker than modern LP bells. One of my other top faves, a "Striker" (their last inventory was sold here on the forum a couple years ago) is also thicker sheet metal. I also love JCR, I have a few, and their sheet isn't necessarily thick but it has a really resonant quality. So these are not useful recommendations exactly, BUT if you keep an eye out for bells that have more thickness and heft, or steel that doesn't sound thin or "cheap" (in the quality sense), you will be on the right track.

Iristone

Reaction score
I've a no-name timbale cowbell that just has a nice resonance. I've heard samples of some Meinl black steel cowbells and these sound good too. I feel it's okay as long as it's not an LP RRR.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got the Meinel Mike Johnston Groove Bell for Christmas. I like it alot. It has a nice "thunk" compared to the 'tink" the small LP Black Beauty I have. I got needs for both in what I play.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm not a cowbell aficionado but do like the Pearl PCB6 Primero cowbell. I removed the foam that's inside as it damped it too much for my tastes. It has a pretty clean tone that sounds, to my ears, a little deeper than the one on Low Rider but not quite as deep as Mississippi Queen. I don't play it too often; really just for the interlude on "Stuck in the Middle" and "Honky Tonk Women"

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love Ritmo cowbells, as well as JCRs. I've heard Ulipercussion makes good bells, but I've not tried them. Generally, once you venture beyond the typical LP/Meinl/Pearl world, it's hard to go back. Not that those brands don't also make good bells.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My #1 is an LP from the 70's, and I think what sets it apart from the newer ones isn't some mystical vintage mojo but the fact its sheet metal is much thicker than modern LP bells. One of my other top faves, a "Striker" (their last inventory was sold here on the forum a couple years ago) is also thicker sheet metal. I also love JCR, I have a few, and their sheet isn't necessarily thick but it has a really resonant quality. So these are not useful recommendations exactly, BUT if you keep an eye out for bells that have more thickness and heft, or steel that doesn't sound thin or "cheap" (in the quality sense), you will be on the right track.
I've got one of those old LP's. It's long and heavy, about a half and half mix of black paint and rust. Thing's a sound beast.

Latest posts