Favorite cowbell?

mebeatee

Reaction score
My fav cowbell is the one the singer forgot at home along with the tambourine......

However if I'm the one with the cowbell I have a big old LP Mambo, and a smaller JCR...
bt

Reactions: egw

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I keep one LP Mambo bell in a gig bag, and one lives on the kit at my big band's rehearsal space. I also have a smaller LP whose model I've forgotten that works in some situations when I want two bells. Mambo is always #1.

bonzo60

Reaction score
If you can ever find one, Zildjian made a cowbell in the 90's. It was listed under the zil-bel category but it was almost impossible to get one for some reason even if ordered. It's similar to an LP Cha Cha but a bit lower in pitch.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In previous threads on this topic, the LP Rock Ridge Rider got a lot of positive comments. However, this time around I don't think it has been mentioned. I don't have one but like the OP, I am currently looking into getting a cowbell for my drum set. Is the Rock Ridge Rider no longer a favorite among many on this forum? The red plastic strip does seem to mute it a bit but from the videos I've watched, it seems to nicely replicate many of the cowbell parts on popular recordings (e.g. We're an American Band).

egw

Reaction score
In previous threads on this topic, the LP Rock Ridge Rider got a lot of positive comments. However, this time around I don't think it has been mentioned. I don't have one but like the OP, I am currently looking into getting a cowbell for my drum set. Is the Rock Ridge Rider no longer a favorite among many on this forum? The red plastic strip does seem to mute it a bit but from the videos I've watched, it seems to nicely replicate many of the cowbell parts on popular recordings (e.g. We're an American Band).
If you're not really a snob, I don't see why you wouldn't like the Ridge Rider cowbell(s). As a lot of people tape up their cowbells anyway, it'll save you from having to do that as the ridge mutes it. And they chew up sticks much less than a regular bell. Sounds like a no-brainer.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was scrolling down to mention 2 simple, affordable cowbells that have always worked for me. Yup, the LP Rock Ridge Rider. Just the right "thunk" for R&R. But the one I've used longest is a red Meinl cowbell I picked up around 1990, That looks very much like the LP pictured. Like the Ridge Rider it's "thunk" seems to magically work in most keys & both work well together.

Attachments

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Ludwig gold tone, it’s got me through good times bad times