header.nohb.html

Favorite drum fills

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Just had to learn this song for a new tribute and I fell in love with the fill at 1:51 (Stan Lynch). Simple, but beautifully placed.

Of fills I've played on albums, the fill at :50 here was really fun. There had to be 2 fills during the stop and I knew what I wanted for the first one. For the second, I came up with it in the studio...it just came out, and that's what you hear at :50.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It starts at 4:08

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four fills from ELP's Karn Evil Nine 3rd Impression. The fourth fill one stands out with the huge off-beat big Paiste cymbal choke. I was thrilled as a kid when it came out.
cued at 27:40 something

and live
cued at 7:04 something
Those are my favorite fills within the framework of one song... absolutely classic Carl Palmer. I never get tired of hearing him play those, even after 45 years.

WLVN

Reaction score
It starts at 4:08

Good memories. I bought that album upon release. Really liked them and that brand of meat and potatoes rock. Very tasty drumming on all of their albums. Curly Smith is with Boston now.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don’t know if this qualifies as a fill. But, within this extended solo Philly Joe plays many of his signature “Philly Joe” licks.

One of my favorites is the combination stick shot-bass foot followed by stick shot-buzz flams that he plays at about 3:10 of The Miles Davis Quintet cover of “Salt Peanuts.”

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a fill by Larnell Lewis on the Snarky Puppy album We Like It Here that actually brought tears to my eyes the first time I'm heard it. The whole band and all the in house audience (it was video taped live) are dumbfounded with their jaws on the floor.

I've been trying to find the song and video on YT but not having any luck. Eventually I'll find it.

That first Snarky Puppy album is a real gem and I don't generally care for fusion music, which is what it mostly would be. They branch out into so many different forms that it's a compelling work of music but sometimes I want more 4/4 and ditch the 70's fusion cliches. Other than that, bravo.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a fill by Larnell Lewis on the Snarky Puppy album We Like It Here that actually brought tears to my eyes the first time I'm heard it. The whole band and all the in house audience (it was video taped live) are dumbfounded with their jaws on the floor.

I've been trying to find the song and video on YT but not having any luck. Eventually I'll find it.

That first Snarky Puppy album is a real gem and I don't generally care for fusion music, which is what it mostly would be. They branch out into so many different forms that it is a compelling work of music but sometimes I want more 4/4 and ditch the 70's fusion cliches. Other than that, bravo.
Some artists don’t allow their music on YouTube for instance Jimi Hendrix. That last post of mine I was surprised I found but it was on SoundCloud. I had to first Google it and then search through the results and there it was.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not exactly a Fill.
But I like the deceptive groove in
the verses (between the kick thumps
and the 16th hihats) in this here
classic Stevie Nicks song...

I've tried to count where the measure
begins in those verses, but I'm
distracted by the bass plucks and
Stevie's vocals.
That's the beauty of the groove!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some artists don’t allow their music on YouTube for instance Jimi Hendrix. That last post of mine I was surprised I found but it was on SoundCloud. I had to first Google it and then search through the results and there it was.
I know, but Snarky Puppy use YT and social media greatly to their advantage. They have 100M+ views on their material and a lot of people discovered them that way.

I’ve seen them twice. Usually when I look at their tour schedule they’re sold out everywhere. Europe really likes them even more than the US (not surprising to me).

BTW, Larnell Lewis taught himself the material for that album on the plane ride over to record with SP, which is another level of drumming genius.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
No video available of my fav fill. It’s a fill on King Crimson’s live album “USA” from the song “21st Century Schizoid Man” Bruford just killing it. This album is by far my favourit recording of Brufords drumming, ever.

Here it is on Spotify. Fill starts at 5:37

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Not exactly a Fill.
But I like the deceptive groove in
the verses (between the kick thumps
and the 16th hihats) in this here
classic Stevie Nicks song...

I've tried to count where the measure
begins in those verses, but I'm
distracted by the bass plucks and
Stevie's vocals.
That's the beauty of the groove!

The great Russ Kunkel. I play this in my tribute. The kick is on the & of 1 and 3 in the verses. The riff and drums were "inspired" by The Police: