Favorite drum hardware.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've been happily satisfied with my combo of single-braced Gibraltar & Yamaha hardware for over 20 years.

Many hundreds of gigs and never a single issue with any of it.

I'll do a clean/lube/inspection ritual on the stuff every 3 years or so as preventative maintenance, So far so good.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mapex Hardware, and DW racks for the win. Can't stand the textured finish Yamaha uses on their stands, and those Shazam thumb screws.

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
DW 6000 flush based cymbal stands (standard Not ultrashite)
Gibraltar snare stand.. For my mounted Tom..The one with the hard resin ball for sheer flexible position.
Yamaha for snare, the 6 series..stellar!!
DW 5000 pedal and have brand new Rogers dynamatic pedal.. Amazing!!
I may buy the matching rogers hi hat stand..
After I save up for my new record Issie dynasonic gold sparkle 6.5 snare!!!

Gerry
I've been eyeing all the new Rogers hardware; single braced, swan leg goodness!

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a mix of different brands I’ve accumulated over the years just because it all works, and I’m not picky — Yamaha, Tama, Gibraltar, Pearl, Ludwig, Sakae, DW... I think that’s it.

But no question, if I were starting from scratch/replacing all my old hardware with new stuff, I would go with Yamaha. And honestly, I’d probably be fine with just the 700 series stuff. No need to get fancy.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d like to find light but sturdy stuff. For now, I have Yamaha single braced, and that seems pretty good. Also have the ultra light DW cymbal stands.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm curious... Excluding Yamaha, are most other major companies' hardware pretty much made in the same factory/ies overseas? It seems to me like most everyone else's stuff is kind of like a modified version of whatever Gibraltar makes. Is a company like Gibraltar (or its parent company) the OEM of hardware to most of the other brands?
A company called RELIANCE was the actual hardware manufacturer for many well-known drum brands - and may still be, for all I know.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tama for me.

i also have a $10 sunlite straight cymbal stand i have used for 20 years now. It is light, sturdy enough, and sets up in 30 seconds.

Targalx

Reaction score
Rogers (1849) and Ludwig (founded 1909) were two of the larger American companies that survived the 60s and made hardware into the 80s. Ludwig survived the 80's and continues to make hardware to this day. Rogers was just rejuvenated and is now making some hardware in 2019. Slingerland (founded 1913) and Gretsch (founded 1883) made hardware but I am unfamiliar with their stuff so I will defer to 'others' regarding that.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I'm just curious as to which of the current major brands are actually making their own hardware, and are not relying on third-party companies or private-label OEMs to handle their hardware manufacturing.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I'm just curious as to which of the current major brands are actually making their own hardware, and are not relying on third-party companies or private-label OEMs to handle their hardware manufacturing.
You asked\stated\suggested that it all looked the same....like it came out of the same factory and was designed by Gibraltar.

Every one of those makers developed, and at least at one time, manufactured, their own unique hardware.

As far as "today", while I have no firm evidence to prove it, I truly doubt that Tama, or Ludwig, for instance, would be having their hardware made in the same factory as Gibraltar, but As I said, I have nothing to prove that.

Even if they did share the same factory, they look nothing alike, at least to me.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha, since 1983, almost exclusively. I use little bits from other manufacturers, but no one does it like them.

Dan

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I echo a lot of the sentiment above. I have a zillion different parts and stands that are all cobbled together into what I need. But... of all my hardware my old Tama stuff has never failed me and my DW snare stand is almost perfect.

Targalx

Reaction score
The new lightweight Yamaha hardware is a life saver!
Yes, I got the Yamaha Crosstown hardware right when it was introduced. I have owned primarily 700-series hardware, which is fairly light compared to its counterparts, but the Crosstown setup is nothing short of revolutionary. I cannot believe I pick up all of my stands, in the custom Yamaha bag, with probably 2 fingers!

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, I got the Yamaha Crosstown hardware right when it was introduced. I have owned primarily 700-series hardware, which is fairly light compared to its counterparts, but the Crosstown setup is nothing short of revolutionary. I cannot believe I pick up all of my stands, in the custom Yamaha bag, with probably 2 fingers!
Have you pinched your finger yet under any of the u channel legs, when closing your stands.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A company called RELIANCE was the actual hardware manufacturer for many well-known drum brands - and may still be, for all I know.
Got me curious, so I have been looking into this... Can't find anything linking "Reliance" to any hardware other than the Dixon brand.

Any clues where to verify Reliance's link to any major brands?

Thanks!

Latest posts