Favorite drum hardware.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I love the look of the Premier Lokfast hardware. Nothing else looks as cool for sure!

For weight, function, looks, packing small, new, etc. I like the new Tama The Classic stuff. Vintage look without the rust, stripped bolts, etc. The only issue I've found with this line is the bass pedal has a hoop clamp adjustment that will strip.

However my favorite single piece of hardware, and I have way too much hardware, is an old Olympic flat base hi-hat stand. Very lightweight, simple, great chrome, and feels very quick even with no tension adjustment. I picked up this up from forum member Trilock_Gurtu.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought my first Tama Stage Master stand back in 1997. It was back when that was a great lightweight boom stand; only a single tier with single braced legs but it has the same hideaway boom design that they still use today. I've been hooked ever since. Every cymbal stand I own is a Tama and I use Tama pedals exclusively as well. I actually went to DW pedals for a bit but came back to Tama after a short period of time. Once Tama came out with their gear less tilter I was doubly hooked, it's such a great design and I actually prefer it to DW even though they kind of pioneered the gear less tilter (as far as I know). The only thing I will say about Tama is I wish they had as many accessory options as DW does. That company really puts a lot of thought into all of those little arms and mounts.

As far as drum mounts are concerned I was never really sold on any one system but always wanted to check out the Tama stuff (obviously) but have never owned a Tama kit. I own an INDe kit now and those BR mounts are legit as far as I'm concerned.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically speaking - Swivomatic.

Incomparable even with the inherent metal-on-metal slippage over time.

Others have adapted and tried to improve on that design but lost the elegance.

Targalx

Reaction score
I bought my first Tama Stage Master stand back in 1997. It was back when that was a great lightweight boom stand; only a single tier with single braced legs but it has the same hideaway boom design that they still use today. I've been hooked ever since.
Yeah, I had a bunch of Stagemaster stuff back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Those were some nice stands in their day. I still have a Stagemaster snare stand from over 20 years ago, and it's held up pretty well.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl, because they have a broad product line, it works well, looks good IMO, and holds up to years of use.
I'm sure all modern gear is pretty good, but I started with Pearl over 25 years ago and have used their stands and pedals regardless of what drums I played.

Targalx

Reaction score
Pearl, because they have a broad product line, it works well, looks good IMO, and holds up to years of use.
I'm sure all modern gear is pretty good, but I started with Pearl over 25 years ago and have used their stands and pedals regardless of what drums I played.
I can vouch for this. I just sold a Pearl hihat stand (single braced) that I bought brand new in 1991. It was not treated very nicely, got thrown in the back of my truck hundreds of times, knocked over by rowdy idiots more than I can remember. It was working perfectly when I sold it nearly 30 years later!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still using snare, cymbal and HH stands that are 60s
Ludwig flat based. And a Jo Jo Meyer Sonor pedal. If I were to buy new hardware, (not likely) I would probably choose Yamaha.
I'm back to Ludwig flat based cymbal stands + L-arm & a "Spur-lock". Last week I took out a kit for a rental with all the triple-braced stuff & hefty hi hat stand. My hardware case nearly killed me.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama, Gibraltar, Yamaha.
But I swear my Yamaha toms sound changes, by how I position them on the hex arm.
Some positions sound dead and others are lively.

Targalx

Reaction score
Tama, Gibraltar, Yamaha.
But I swear my Yamaha toms sound changes, by how I position them on the hex arm.
Some positions sound dead and others are lively.
I noticed the same thing here. For YESS mounted Yamahas, I do not push them all the way to the felt on the shell; I let them hang a little before the shell. For non-YESS toms, I get them to just before they start poking into the shell.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha - Simple , straightforward and they don't change models every year (unlike some) so you can get replacement parts for them easily if needed.

Mick

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1st reaction...TAMA! Yamaha is a very close 2nd. There are many companies that have great individual products, but IMO TAMA wins. Why not Yamaha you ask? Their boom cymbal stand arms are a deal breaker for me...

bfulton

Reaction score
Current favorite pedal is a Yamaha 9000something direct drive. Favorite hi hat is the Yamaha 1200t, with the li’l toggle link.
But the 1200 weighs a ton, so for most gigs it’s a Gibraltar direct drive flat based hi hat.
And I really like the Gibraltar. It feels both solid and light.

A classic: Ludwig Spur Lok! 1124 .. the tension adjustment wheel actually works, but only with modifications!

Last edited:

ellaguru

Reaction score
DW 6000 lightweight stands all around. if they're too wobbly and falling over, then Im the problem, not the stand.

Rick

Reaction score
I’d like to find light but sturdy stuff. For now, I have Yamaha single braced, and that seems pretty good. Also have the ultra light DW cymbal stands.
I have a couple of Tama's "Roadpro Light" straight cymbal stands. Love them! They are very well made, sturdy, and, yes, light!

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have hardware from Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, DW, Gibraltar, Ludwig, and North.
If I were starting fresh I would buy all Tama or all Yamaha hardware. I like the design and quality of those two best.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I've gotten older, my hardware has gotten lighter! I have 4 kits and each is self contained with all its own hardware in its own cases, all the way down to the pedal and drum rug.

Two are equipped with the Gibraltar light weight flat base hardware with the other two use Tama Road Pro series. One is the single braced version while the bigger set uses the double braced model. I like the Tama RP series as it gives me pretty good bang for the buck. I also like the Rogers swan style legs, it just looks graceful.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m lovin’ the new Rogers stuff. Light weight, single braced. I have the cymbal stands, snare stand, and throne. Still using oldRogers supreme hi hat stand

musicman64

Reaction score
I've been happily satisfied with my combo of single-braced Gibraltar & Yamaha hardware for over 20 years.

Many hundreds of gigs and never a single issue with any of it.

I'll do a clean/lube/inspection ritual on the stuff every 3 years or so as preventative maintenance, So far so good.
EGGS ACKLEY !!!perfect trio...Yamaha...Gibraltar...Maintenance

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Who's your favorite drum and cymbal mounting hardware maker and why?
I don't know about a particular maker, but I've always had a soft spot for a Rail Consolette...especially the style where the tom just clipped on.
Just so easy to attach the tom and they've always worked for me.
As for a cymbal stand maker, whoever makes those thin cheap little straight cymbal stands (sold under a number of "makers", such as Percussion Plus or CB-700).
You can get them pretty cheap, they do the job and I can carry 2 or 3 in one hand (one hand!).
I've owned a bunch of different hardware over the years but I'm going back to the generic cheapie "ROC" stands. Like the Rail Consolette tom holder, they've always worked for me.
...also, while not a tom or cymbal mount, I've always preferred my Camco by Tama Chain Drive bass drum pedal. The one I have now, I've had since 1990 and it still works like new.
Can't beat it.

Elvis

Last edited:

Latest posts