Favorite Drum Stick?

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Hello all!

My favorite drum stick is the Vic Firth 2B in Hickory. I hit HARD so I need hickory sticks so that my sticks last longer. I tried SD1 generals, but I shattered them within a few hits on an acoustic kit.

Post your favorite drumstick and why below!\/

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regal Tip 8a maple currently but with the unreliability of Regal Tip’s production I have been looking for a new stick .

I did just order two bricks that Jeff Rich is reproducing of the Regal Tip Billy Martin stick.
I like these for louder gigs

If Vic Firth would make the Peter Erskine Big Band stick in double glaze that would be the only stick I would ever use . I have asked many people at Vic Firth and that just refuse to do it .

Last edited:

pjmariner

Reaction score
I just tried out a bunch of pairs that looked like what i wanted. My basic parameters were essentially a shorter taper, thicker necked 5a with a larger tip wood tip. My winner was the Vater Los angels 5a in hickory. a bit slick when cold, but once warmed up the grip is about perfect. Funny enough I am about 15 mins from Vater and Zildjian.

Sweetwater is selling 4packs right now for $25.

Last edited:

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I just tried out a bunch of pairs that looked like what i wanted. My basic parameters were essentially a shorter tapper, thicker necked 5a with a larger tip wood tip. My winner was the Vater Los angels 5a in hickory. a bit slick when cold, but once warmed up the grip is about perfect. Funny enough I am about 15 mins from Vater and Zildjian.

Sweetwater is selling 4packs right now for $25.

Thanks for the suggestion, Although i might like 5A's I prefer the weight of the 2B's. They are also thicker which I like. .630" for the 2B's VS .565" for the 5A's.

greegor

Reaction score
Trying out some Vater American Hickory Power 3A wood tips. A little bigger than 5A's and round tips. Not bad but tip is a little large, but at least they don't explode on impact :)

pjmariner

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Although i might like 5A's I prefer the weight of the 2B's. They are also thicker which I like. .630" for the 2B's VS .565" for the 5A's.
Sure, makes sense. if you have never played a vater stick, try one in a 2b. Generally they are denser/heavier then VF and Promark in the same size stick, their dowels have a higher moisture content. For me at least, they are extremely durable.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Sure, makes sense. if you have never played a vater stick, try one in a 2b. Generally they are denser/heavier then VF and Promark in the same size stick, their dowels have a higher moisture content. For me at least, they are extremely durable.
I might as well try some. I am running low on sticks as is. I got one pair for my e-kit and another 2 pairs for band rehearsal.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try some!

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

My favorite drum stick is the Vic Firth 2B in Hickory. I hit HARD so I need hickory sticks so that my sticks last longer. I tried SD1 generals, but I shattered them within a few hits on an acoustic kit.

Post your favorite drumstick and why below!\/
The reason you shattered SD1s is they're made of maple, which is less resilient than hickory. Hickory is harder (and heavier) and will absorb the shock better than maple. Maple sticks are typically for delicate playing. The SD1 was designed for Orchestral playing. Stick with hickory sticks and you'll get a longer life from them.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
The reason you shattered SD1s is they're made of maple, which is less resilient than hickory. Hickory is harder (and heavier) and will absorb the shock better than maple. Maple sticks are typically for delicate playing. The SD1 was designed for Orchestral playing. Stick with hickory sticks and you'll get a longer life from them.
Yeah, I know that. Maple sticks used to work for me when I was 11-12 years old. Then I hit puberty and got WAY stronger. Now I can barely play a measure without shattering maple sticks. Still confuses me why places like Guitar Center and Music & Arts still sell them. I hate it when I accidentally buy pairs of SD1's because they're put in the rack where the 2B's are supposed to be.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I'm a 5A user - After Silverfox went under I searched for something to replace them and landed on the Los Cabos line.
I've used all three 5A versions, red hickory, white hickory and maple and they all feel good, the maple being a little
lighter in weight.

CigarScott

Reaction score
The first pair that I bought on my own as a kid when taking lessons were Vic Firth 2B. I experimented with other brands:

Zildjian - Eric Singer's - broke like pencils - went through a brick in no time
Promark - Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy's - tips broke too easily on Neil's and nylon tips on Promark must not use any kind of glue, they come off if you breath on them.

Then I discovered Vater and ever since then, I play them loyally (other than the occasional Vic Firth Danny Carey stick). Their sticks last forever. I played different versions of 5a and 5b for years, never found a version that I was in love with. Played Fusion's for a long time but realized that I need something thicker and longer. I love Mike Mangini's model, just wish it was a bit thicker and with a nylon tip option. I am currently playing the Vater Rock Nylon. Hard stick to find but it feels good in my hands and feels well balanced for my hand size and the way that I play. It seems that a lot of people like playing thinner models as they age but I've had to go bigger due to my carpal tunnel. My hands are far less fatigued playing with bigger sticks now.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pro-Mark's Hickory Micheal Carvin 733 model. I like the small ball tips that really sweeten up my jazz cymbals.