Favorite Drum Stick?

MICHAELT

Reaction score
I’ve been drumming with Promark 5A select balance rebound wt hickory for the last year or so and really like them. Consistent from pair to pair and durable , in my experience ,and they just feel good to me.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been drumming with Promark 5A select balance rebound wt hickory for the last year or so and really like them. Consistent from pair to pair and durable , in my experience ,and they just feel good to me.
Makes your cymbals sound better, too. :thumbup:

Browny

Reaction score
The classic Vic Firth 5B wood tip.
  1. I like how they sound on my drums and cymbals.
  2. They feel pretty much 'right' in my hands. Thinner sticks make my hands choke up and grip harder while thicker ones I struggle with actually getting them moving, especially anything upbeat that needs some kind of finesse. Similar story with shorter or longer lengths; the 5B has a nice happy medium that isn't weird or cumbersome.
  3. They last a fair while before I've blown the middle out from rimshots. I rarely have chipped tips or anything else.
  4. I've only found one store down here that doesn't always have them in stock.
I've got a bag full of old sticks I used to use, or tried. Vater NO Jazz, VF Xtreme 5A, Vater 3A, VF Steve Jordan, etc. They're all now future kindling for the fire pit.

I'll have my stack of VF 5B wood tips and one pair of VF 5A & 2B wood tips that just sit on standby (alongside brushes, rods, mallets) if I need to go for something different at a particular moment, but that's more of a 'one off' thing with an alternative music opportunity.... I ain't bringing those to my regular band's practice or gigs.

Reaction score
I'm still looking, but Pro-Mark's Firegrain sticks are absolutely the best smelling sticks (bar none).

IVER

Reaction score
Hello all!

My favorite drum stick is the Vic Firth 2B in Hickory. I hit HARD so I need hickory sticks so that my sticks last longer. I tried SD1 generals, but I shattered them within a few hits on an acoustic kit.

Post your favorite drumstick and why below!\/
I play mostly jazz and funk, and always use Pro-mark American Hickory 7As. When I play rock I use Vic Firth American Classics. They are also 7A, but are much thicker with larger tips.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to play the Fusions, still have some but I found I can't get enough power out of them on my heavy crashes. I love them otherwise.
That seems surprising, but I play pretty thin cymbals and have to watch my volume with the people I play with.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to play the Fusions, still have some but I found I can't get enough power out of them on my heavy crashes. I love them otherwise.
Just a guess here, but have you ever considered Promark?
Maybe a pair of Forward Balance Select sticks?
They're a little skinnier (.565"), but the weight of the stick is biased towards the tip, so it might give you the extra power you need for those heavy crashes.

CigarScott

Reaction score
Just a guess here, but have you ever considered Promark?
Maybe a pair of Forward Balance Select sticks?
They're a little skinnier (.565"), but the weight of the stick is biased towards the tip, so it might give you the extra power you need for those heavy crashes.
I'm not a fan, I've had too many problems with Promark's tips, wood and nylon, break in a short period of time. A pair of Vater's last longer for me than a brick of Promark's. Mike Mangini's Wicked Piston has the forward weight like the Promark's but are too thin for my ogre hands and don't have a nylon tip option.

That seems surprising, but I play pretty thin cymbals and have to watch my volume with the people I play with.
They're great for everything but my heavy crashes and heavy china's. If I was playing with lighter crashes and chinas, I'd definitely would use them.

JMS

Reaction score
My favorite drum sticks are BOSO bamboo sticks, they have all the basic shapes, they come in three different weights ... light, medium & heavy and they are very durable

pjmariner

Reaction score
I'm not a fan, I've had too many problems with Promark's tips, wood and nylon, break in a short period of time. A pair of Vater's last longer for me than a brick of Promark's. Mike Mangini's Wicked Piston has the forward weight like the Promark's but are too thin for my ogre hands and don't have a nylon tip option.

They're great for everything but my heavy crashes and heavy china's. If I was playing with lighter crashes and chinas, I'd definitely would use them.
The Vater Los Angeles 5a is just a touch thinner then the fusion, but it has a shorter taper, thicker neck and larger tip. This is my weapon of choice and I find them very durable
https://www.vater.com/#!/product/3

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite drum sticks are BOSO bamboo sticks, they have all the basic shapes, they come in three different weights ... light, medium & heavy and they are very durable
which one do you use?

JMS

Reaction score
Mostly 5A & 5B medium weight, the Strata

The solid Natural bamboo is the light weight sticks
The solid Dark bamboo is the heavy weight sticks
The half light and half dark Strata bamboo is the medium weight sticks

Attachments