header.nohb.html

Favorite Drum Stick?

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main sticks are Ahead classic 5A's

I also use the Promark Shira Kashi Oak 5As with the wood tip.

And I sometimes practice with Zildjian Laminated Super Heavy 5As.

gabo

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These just arrived. I have a pair of Mel Lewis, but I fell in love with these when I first tried them when they were the Gene Krupa signature model. I am getting ready to order two pairs each of the Art Blakey and West Coast models (I believe the latter is based on Shelly Manne's preferred size).

Here is a link to the Bopworks page that compares their various models:

The reason why I love the ones that just arrived is their feel. Nice balance, great rebound characteristics and they sound equally good on drums as they do on cymbals.

As an aside, had I ordered five pairs instead of four the shipping would have been free. With that in mind I am getting ready to order the other models that I mentioned.

View attachment 537432

Their shipping is insane.

Over 8 bucks to ship one pair. It's kept me from trying a set.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Their shipping is insane.

Over 8 bucks to ship one pair. It's kept me from trying a set.
That 8 bucks covers up to fifty bucks worth of sticks, then shipping is free. I purchased the ones I recently received and pair the 8 bucks total. Had I ordered one more pair of sticks the shipping would have been free and that would have brought down the cost of the fifth pair to something like three bucks.

EDITED TO INCLUDE INVOICE
bopworks-order.jpg

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
looks like the "Memphis R & B" model would be me.
At .570" you must have better appetite control than I have. I'd be at least a 2S, maybe an indoor marching stick. Trying to work my way back down to 2B.
(wocka wocka)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

the two ^ I been using for awhile +/-
I'd be at least a 2S
what

and

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vic Firth 3a wood tip, but recently I've been using the VF Matt Greiner signature sticks, and I like them a lot.

towndog

Reaction score
Vic Firth Omar Hakim Signature Sticks with Nylon round tip. Tried a bunch of sticks over the last decade or so and I keep coming back to these.

Reactions: JDA

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

the two ^ I been using for awhile +/-

what

and
I was just goofing on a literal interpretation of your post:
"looks like the "Memphis R & B" model would be me"
If you're that model, you must be slimmer than me, because even my high metabolism can't keep up with the amount of food I'm driven to devour, which means I'm at least a...

On second thought, disregard the comment.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vic Firth Extreme 5As in both wood and nylon tip and I recently discovered the Zildjian Roy Haynes sticks and love them too.

Morello Man

Reaction score
I ordered my first few items from them a couple months back. Really like their brushes. I also bought the Blakey Signature sticks and the Memphis R&B models. The Blakeys are light, feel good in the hand, but I'm not a fan of the tips. Makes for a slightly harsh cymbal sound to my ear (just my take). The Memphis R&B stick is a trip. Weight is in the back, and it's a bit thicker with a lighter shoulder/tip area. For me, that makes the balance a bit trippy, but I'll have to try it in a more backbeat-oriented situation and see how that goes. The Memphis sticks also have a glossy feel which takes some getting used to. Just my 2¢!
Bopworks Shelly Manne model. Love 'em.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the Vic Firth AJ4 and AJ5 models and some of the smaller bopworks sticks, but have recently really been liking the Pro Mark Hickory "el negro" sticks.

They're beautifully balanced and incredibly articulate. They're also one of the few sticks I've played that give me an equally great sound out of both drums and cymbals.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It has been the Jeff Porcaro signature from Regal Tip since as far as I can remember but now that Regal Tip is, well, Regal tip, I am always looking for the closest thing with no firm favorite yet. Gadd is close with the barrel tip and all...It is fun experimenting with other stuff though.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The maple stick is lighter and is actually a quieter stick. I use it when we play inside a medium to small place.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The maple stick is lighter and is actually a quieter stick. I use it when we play inside a medium to small place.
Thanks for the info, that’s kinda surprising. I thought the maples would be louder and heavier..