Favorite Drum Stick?

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up, Ludwig's original Morello 11A was my favorite. (NOT the ill-fated LAMO version, one of the most accurate unintended puns of all marketing - LAMO was Ludwig's attempt to build, basically, a ply stick - thin layers glued together. LAMO = laminate. Outcome: predictable. see p. 77: http://www.drumarchive.com/ludwig/1967_LUDWIG.pdf

Kind of like when Chevy sold their Nova in Mexico, where no-va in Spanish meant "doesn't run."

These days, Vic Firth's Steve Jordan model works just fine.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Bopworks West Coast and Art Blakey models came in on Saturday. I played around with them, but not enough to commit to a review. I do love the West Coast model because it's thinner, very light, and is absolutely great on cymbals. On "thinner"; it's thicker than the .512 Promark Elvin Jones model that I normally use, but I truly did not notice much difference, and this is [to me] a much lighter stick.

The surprise was the Art Blakey model. It has a much larger diameter than I normally use, measuring a whopping .540. Interestingly, it is a press roll machine. I was not expecting this stick to be especially adapted to that style (even though Blakey was renown for his press rolls.) The tip is almost triangular and that is one of the reasons why I would have never guessed that it would have such excellent rebound characteristics. It's decent for cymbal work (but does not really stand out in that role for me), and is THE stick I plan to use for my kit outfitted with calf heads.

I was impressed enough to order more of each of the above, and also added a Birdland model to that order. Honestly, Bopworks is now my stick brand of choice. They do have a few models in their line that I will probably never try based on their diameters, but the models that I have tried have sold me. And to be sure, they are not for everybody. If you love lighter, thinner sticks, though they are worth checking out.

Hugh Jass

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

VIC FIRTH STEVE JORDAN SIGNATURE DRUMSTICKS​

Catalog # SJOR.
  • Hickory
  • Medium Tapers
  • Barrel-Shaped Beads
  • Length: 16 1/2"
  • Diameter: 0.525"
Lighter and longer than a 5A and a liitle meatier than a 7A. I’d perfer tear-drop to barrel-shaped beads.

TorchmanRG

Reaction score
Vic Firth MJC4. It's a 5B diameter, but lighter because it's maple. Long taper and small barrel tip. Really good for jazz, but I find that it still works well when I have to play louder. Really great stick!

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right now my favorites are the Promark Elvin Jones stick (hickory) and the Vic Firth SD2 Swizzle stick (maple, I guess it’s just an SD2 bolero stick with a mallet on one end). As far as the Elvin stick goes, I just ordered another pair and I’m a little worried that the sticks aren’t the same as the ones I bought 20 years ago because someone in the reviews section said the formula is different. We’ll see I guess.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a kid, I was about Regal Tip 5a's. That ain't happening anymore, and it's too bad, because I'd use them now if they existed. Currently using VF 5a and 7a, and I like them fine, but I thought there'd be a bigger difference with wood vs nylon tips on cymbals. I seem to remember Regal Tips have a more striking difference than the Firths. Not a big issue, though I do want to see if Pro Marks have a more pronounced difference in their nylon tips than Firth.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I seem to change sticks over the years as I move from years long project to project, mostly because my playing style would morph:

Greasy soul funk band: Vic Firth Steve Gadd nylon. Worked well holding them far back because they are shorter. This somehow felt “right” playing loping grooves. The nylon tips gave articulation on faster hi hat patterns.

Cover band: Vic Firth 5A nylon. Some heft for noisy bars with nylon for cut on cymbals. The narrow shoulder seemed to flex and my hands wouldn’t get tired.

Originals rock/country/ urban: Promark Shira Kashi 5A wood tip. Love the feel, durability, cross stick, and sound of oak in my Ks.

Soul/Funk mashup: Promark Shira Kashi Jazz wood tip. The thinner diameter combined with long shaft feels right and fine for ghost notes. Easier to play at softer dynamics as well. Despite the lack of flex I’d get with hickory, they seem to have good rebound.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Jeff Rich copy the Regal Tip Bob Gatzen /Billy Martin signature stick for me and He lacquered them for me as well Z they came out well and should keep me for awhile for my Pop/Rock gigs .

Like other Regal Tip fans I have been searching for another stick to use and have settled on a couple Vic Firth Models - The Peter Erskine Big Band and the original Peter Erskine signature stick with the small round bead . I may apply some bullseye shellac to them to see if that will improve the grip and feel .

petereather

Reaction score
Pro Mark Finess 5a acorn tip But for some reason cant find them any more

Attachments

• 20220118_085518.jpg
    20220118_085518.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 11

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had Jeff Rich copy the Regal Tip Bob Gatzen /Billy Martin signature stick for me and He lacquered them for me as well Z they came out well and should keep me for awhile for my Pop/Rock gigs .

Like other Regal Tip fans I have been searching for another stick to use and have settled on a couple Vic Firth Models - The Peter Erskine Big Band and the original Peter Erskine signature stick with the small round bead . I may apply some bullseye shellac to them to see if that will improve the grip and feel .
Jeff does excellent work. I had him replicate some Promark Elvin Jones signature sticks and they were exact. The reason I had him make them instead of purchasing the Promark ones is Jeff's tips do not easily chip because of some extra steps in his process.

Now, if only someone would step up to the plate and start making custom brushes so I can get replicas of some of my favorite Regal Tip models ...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
just arrived yesterday

1pr- Vic Firth American Heritage 5A
1pr - Vic Firth American Heritage 5B

2 pr- Promuco 5A maple
2 pr- Promuco 5B maple

traditional shapes; all maple;

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
just arrived yesterday

1pr- Vic Firth American Heritage 5A
1pr - Vic Firth American Heritage 5B

2 pr- Promuco 5A maple
2 pr- Promuco 5B maple

traditional shapes; all maple;
How are the promuco's?

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the promuco's?
I like em now I'm gonna tell ya. I've had the 2B maple (for about 3 months..) And I like them. I switch between Vic Firth mostly the MJC4 (maple right I'm a maple feller..)... and the 2B Promuco mape.
I'm going to admit the Vic Firth is a "higher" quality stick but... there's a playful, rough "let's attack this" quality to the Promuco's. There's a Rough and ready - Feel- to them; not quite- as refined as a Firth.
But I can't wait to get the Promuco's out on a stage (anywhere/anyhow..) they have a slightly less refined..
Of course the price is a Gem. I like em. Go back and forth tween Firth and Promuco.

I'm holding the 5B Maple Promuco right now and they're killers. I have the Vic Heritage (maple) 5B (same shape) right over there.
They're different (not in shape tho) Firth seems to have a stiffer 'center' core but the Promuco can get "fun'..both maple.
(it's $9.99 vs $3.50) Promuco's are a bargain (shh don't tell anyone).

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Update on my Bopworks sticks: I used the Art Blakey and West Coast models at a rehearsal yesterday. Loved the feel, balance and how well both rebounded. Unfortunately, since I depend on rebound and hold my sticks very loosely, I had issues hanging on to either pair. Worse, the left stick would creep (I play traditional grip.)

The cause is these sticks are exceptionally well finished. I have never seen sticks with such smooth, non-porous, finishes. The beautiful craftsmanship worked against me. I just ordered some bees wax to remedy that so I can make the stitch from my current Promark Elvin Jones model to a few of my favorite Bopworks models. Aside from the issue I mentioned these are the best sticks that I have ever used. Your mileage may vary, though, because I favor small diameter sticks.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I'm going to admit the Vic Firth is a "higher" quality stick but... there's a playful, rough "let's attack this" quality to the Promuco's. There's a Rough and ready - Feel- to them; not quite- as refined as a Firth.
That's an interesting observation.
I got some Promuco Bonham sticks a couple of months back in a shirt/stick "special" from LIDrum. I don't have the sample size you're working with, but the Promuco sticks actually seem higher quality than the VF's I have.
Don't get me wrong, the VF's I have aren't bad, but the Promuco sticks seem finished to a higher degree. These Bonham sticks are basically hickory 5B's. I really didn't expect to like them as much as I do.
At some point I will probably try some other Promuco models that are closer to what I usually play, and I'll be interested to see how their quality compares.

Reactions: JDA

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
I like em now I'm gonna tell ya. I've had the 2B maple (for about 3 months..) And I like them. I switch between Vic Firth mostly the MJC4 (maple right I'm a maple feller..)... and the 2B Promuco mape.
But I can't wait to get the Promuco's out on a stage (anywhere/anyhow..) they have a slightly less refined..
Of course the price is a Gem. I like em. Go back and forth tween Firth and Promuco.

I'm holding the 5B Maple Promuco right now and they're killers. I have the Vic Heritage (maple) 5B (same shape) right over there.
They're different (not in shape tho) Firth seems to have a stiffer 'center' core but the Promuco can get "fun'..both maple.
(it's $9.99 vs $3.50) Promuco's are a bargain (shh don't tell anyone).
They have a Bonham model. I'm not a Bonham fanatic. I'd like to try them.