Favorite Drummer/Bass Player Combos

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always admired Jeff Simon and Billy Blough as role models for my aspirations.
Paul Chambers with Jimmy and/or Elvin as most influential to the whole of music
There are so many to admire! I really really want to see the Wooten Brothers Roy and Victor.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Abe & Bill, or whover is playing with Abe for that matter.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bruford / Squire came first to mind. They sound like no one else.

Mingus / Richmond also came to mind, since that was such a special musical relationship (Mingus trained Richmond so that he could have a drummer to suit his music)

Bonham / Jones, Peart / Lee, Baker / Bruce, McCartney / Starr. Of course.

No one has mentioned Moon / Entwistle (although in terms of "rhythm" section, you really need Townshend's guitar style to really make the unique who sound, although this observation might be made for Led Zeppelin as well, since Bonham tended to synchronize with Page; I think this is why both bands have a special something that is hard for casual listeners to define, but that makes them want more.)

Others that immediately came to mind that haven't been mentioned yet:

Phil Collins / Mike Rutherford (early Genesis)

Christian Vander / Jannik Top (Magma)

Jaki Leibezeit / Holgar Czukay (Can)

Bruford / Wetton (King Crimson mk II)

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mingus / Richmond also came to mind, since that was such a special musical relationship (Mingus trained Richmond so that he could have a drummer to suit his music)
Mingus apparently had a thing for alto saxophonists :) Richmond was formerly an alto saxophonist, and Byard was known to be pretty good too. One time Paul Desmond and someone (I forget who) was listening to Byard who was playing piano, but then picked up an alto and killed it. Desmond quipped, "He ought to mind his business."

Mingus on Richmond:

Richmond on Mingus: