Favorite Gig

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Indoor or outdoor? Recording session? I love recording. My favorite was probably a session I did in Athens, Ga at a studio called Elixir for a band called Tibbets Street in 2000. While we were overdubbing & listening back to the days work, someone broke out the good stuff. The engineer said he had a surprise for me. He put on a 2" reel and we were treated to a master copy of Aja by Steely Dan. The whole album. I thought what I played was really cool & then I heard Aja through those great sounding monitors. The guy that ran the studio had access to equipment used in the old Rolling Stones mobile truck. That's where he said the master copy of Aja came from. I don't know if it's true but it sure was fun soloing the drum tracks and hearing Gadd solo & then drop the stick. The music we recorded was really cool & was never completed. We did 8 songs in a week & the producer tried to screw us with a b.s. record contract. Another really cool album shelved because of some backstabbing prick.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
That would be my Petty band in Truckee, north of Tahoe a couple of years ago.
502E46F3-0D84-4E24-8846-D971D3F4BB03.jpeg

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Must be some of my later gigs, when I've reached the maturity to get relaxed enough to enjoy playing - probably one of my latest festival gigs, like Gutter Island Festival in Denmark. The gig, the place, the people.
They even miked my gong!

Rehearsing and recording is boring, imo... like Charlie Watts said on playing with the Stones, 3 years of playing and 60 years of hanging around (or something like that)
Playing live is great!! Meeting the audience and seeing their reactions still give me the chills after more than 40 years of playing live!
The adrenaline and excitement of the live situation, the "right here, right now" feeling. Even when working as a promotor or with stage tech stuff, those seconds before it all starts - if you feel that electricity going through your body, it's something everybody should be allowed to feel sometime in their life!!
When that feeling isn't there anymore I'll quit playing. Period!

Attachments

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
My blues trio had an invitation only jam at a bar in Old Sacramento. Bruce Conte and Roger Smith came several weeks in a row. They were not in T O P at the time, Roger was in Bruce's band Power Play. The jams were off the chart,some of the best players in the area. After the extended jams, the crowd would clap and scream for minutes.
I learned a lot jamming with those guys and Bruce told my leader 'when I get up, use your drummer'. I gained confidence and authority from this experience.

(honorable mention, opening for Elvin Bishop at Keystone Korner when the Pointer Sisters were singing backup with him. 2 nights at Fillmore West on local band night, playing Larry Blake's in Berkeley)

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
We've been fortunate to support and headline at quite a few festivals, but the one that stands out the most was in 2015 when we played at the Tempe Town Lake 4th of July festival. I haven't been nervous before a gig in a long time but I definitely had some nerves going on before we started playing.

The two in front are the MCs making announcements.
IMG_20150704_202157.jpg

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favourite gig was one of my first. An original rock band at a sold out club (one of "thee" places to play in Copenhagen) with a stage tall enough for the drummer to see the whole crowd.
2nd favourite. Montlucon, France. 15 years old playing at a city festival type thing. My first, and likely only, time playing in front of a crowd of 10.000.
3rd. Same band as number one, terrible performance (due to drugs, alcohol, or both). But some guy from the audience told me we sounded like Guns N' Roses on the fake live EP.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I have had stadium and arena and theater gigs, but the one that stands out for me was a dance we played at the conclusion of the Special Olympics at Fort Lewis WA. Four bars into the first song and the floor was filled with ecstatic dancers who didn't stop until the last note of the evening.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most memorable perhaps was a Royal Command Concert for the then H.M The King of Thailand many years ago with our dixieland band. His Majesty was a fine clarinet player in that genre and seemed to enjoy it.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the early 80's I played in a big band that had a regular Monday night riverboat cruise gig during the summer. 3 hours, 7 - 10. It was a negotiated union contract so it wasn't the pay you would get on a Friday or Saturday, but for a Monday night cruise on the river playing with a big band it was great. Oh, and the bartenders would sell us beers for a quarter.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the 80s I was in my 20s and living in Ft. Lauderdale. My band would play beach bars from Key Biscayne to West Palm Beach. As the drummer I would stay on stage and provide rim shots during the wet t-shirt and teenie weenie bikini contests that would be held during band breaks. THOSE were my all time favorite gigs. :D

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many memorable, and at least something special remembered from each one, not based on size or high exposure, but emotional content. That’s what gigs are for me—a moment carved into permanence.

But if only one—my bassist’s sister’s wedding. First dance: The bride and groom are slow dancing, and everyone is ooohing over something stage right... and I look to the side of the stage and there’s my wife and 4-year-old swaying and he’s standing on his mom’s feet and looking up at her, and she looks over to me and she’s crying.