Favorite groove drummers.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John Tempesta, Jean-Paul Gaster, Tommy Lee (especially Dr. Feelgood), Vinnie Paul of course, William Calhoun, Gene Hoglan, Shannon Larkin is an underrated groovecentric drummer.

Drm1979

Reaction score
John Tempesta, Jean-Paul Gaster, Tommy Lee (especially Dr. Feelgood), Vinnie Paul of course, William Calhoun, Gene Hoglan, Shannon Larkin is an underrated groovecentric drummer.
Awesome another JP Gaster fan. I dont think that he gets enough credit for his style. Clutch rules.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He's a really great guy as well. He treated me like family when he was on the podcast...

Johnny K

Reaction score
For me groove is less about being all flashy and just coming up with parts that compliment the riffs being played. Lately a lot of the drummers I've been listening to have some groove but they're doing a lot of flashy stuff in between which i love but for the project I'm in right now flash and chops aren't extremely complimentary as we're more inspired by older metal stuff. So just looking for those drummers that really lock on to the riff and are still playing something tasty without going into triple ratamacues and crazy stuff like that. The earlier mentions in this post like Vinny Appice, some of vinnie Paul's stuff and bill ward is more what I was looking for.
In that case one of my favorites is Chad Smith of RHCP. Steady and solid. Dood really holds down the pocket without having to wow with chops. They would be just another rapmetalfunk band without him.

Drm1979

Reaction score
In that case one of my favorites is Chad Smith of RHCP. Steady and solid. Dood really holds down the pocket without having to wow with chops. They would be just another rapmetalfunk band without him.
Funny you should mention that as I just put rhcp back on my ipod to listen to.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yuval Gabay - check out his grooves with Soul Coughing. Some of the best groove playing ever - regardless of genre...

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your hard rock/metal threshold is, but Morgan Rose of Sevendust and early Korn with David Silveria is pretty groovy.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim Christie , Al Jackson jr. , George Rains , Gene Chrisman , Greg Errico , Art Blakey , always in the pocket .

Drm1979

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think Neil Peart has a nice groove ..
He can definitely groove. Especially on animate and driven but his chops almost always make an appearance in almost anything he does. And dont get me wrong he is probably hands down my favorite rock drummer. But for what I'm doing it's not something where a lot of flash is complimentary. So far Dio, Aerosmith and the 1st audioslave record has been the most helpful to what I'm trying to do. But I have been listeningto some rush as well.