Favorite Hand Drum?

ATLdrummer

Reaction score
Hey guys! One of my favorite things to do besides play drum set is play my collection of hand drums. I love congas a djembe but my favorites are my doumbek and udu drum. They both have the very different feel and are just so much fun to play! Whats yours?

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bodhran has been my obsession for the last 7 or 8 years

I have a set of tables but havent put any real work into them

love bongos!
Portable and they speak quickly

Also love doumbek,Darabuka
I have a ceramic drum w fish skin head and an aluminum drum w plastic head as well

Udu drum as well....

I've got djembe, congas, ashikos, and others, but for hand drums that I play ..bongos and doumbek

For hand drums that I own..tabla

TRstix

Reaction score
I like playing conga. Lately, I have been playing a cajon instead. I play these more than I play set. So, set is more of my "other" instrument.

I have also picked up a pair of tablas - about a year ago. Still haven't started to learn to play them. But, that is rising on my list of priorities.

Have bongos, djembes, doumbek, but just play them for fun - not much gigging.

waynerouse

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the cajon. I have a Kopf S-Series Snare cajon. I like how the cajon can be a stand alone percussion setup. Great instrument.

ATLdrummer

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the cajon. I have a Kopf S-Series Snare cajon. I like how the cajon can be a stand alone percussion setup. Great instrument.
Man that looks nice! I always think about buying a canon but tell myself I'll make one but then I'm too lazy...a friend of mine and his dad made about 10 for a percussion ensemble and sold a lot of me off afterward. They were great and only cost about $50 to get good wood and supplies to make them with.

jaybeez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My son and I were playing around with one of these at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood. Never saw one before. I bought plans online, but haven't gotten around to making one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

olmanbenny

Reaction score
The Hadgini is pretty cool. Made by Jamey Haddad and Frank Giorgini, it's an udu...but with internal mics and a volume pedal turned up and your amp eq set a certain way, you can control the feedback from it, getting billows of bassy feedback as you raise your hands off of the drum. A very dynamic and tonally diverse instrument. Jamey plays the hell out of this thing, of course. They're not that expensive either. Can't believe I haven't bought one yet.
Here's Jamey playing it and describing it. What a neat guy.

AmateurMax

Reaction score
My favorite hand drum that I own would be the Cajon that my dad and I made. But, my all time favorite is the hand pan! It's just amazing!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I like my djembes, got several from 8" and 11" African rope tuned and 16" Remo key tuned. A close second is my congas, which I find myself playing more and more for fun. I can't walk by them without stopping for a few minutes of play. As for cajons, I don't have one and haven't tried one. I can't get past a mental block I have that they don't look like drums. I might like them one day if I try one.

10thAvenueDrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Bodhran today, and I'm kind of getting the hang of it. Not really a hand drum per se, but it's the closest thing I've got :)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My doumbek gets the most use, and I love my djembe, but my favorite is my ibo (Meinl udu drum). LOVE the sounds it produces. Not able to use it too much live except in more acoustic settings, but it records fantastic and it's just a really relaxing instrument to play on my own at home.

ibo.jpg

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The Hadgini is pretty cool. Made by Jamey Haddad and Frank Giorgini, it's an udu...but with internal mics and a volume pedal turned up and your amp eq set a certain way, you can control the feedback from it, getting billows of bassy feedback as you raise your hands off of the drum. A very dynamic and tonally diverse instrument. Jamey plays the hell out of this thing, of course. They're not that expensive either. Can't believe I haven't bought one yet.
Here's Jamey playing it and describing it. What a neat guy.
Thanks for posting that video. That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while!

Latest posts