Favorite Hand Drum?

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
Hand drum would be bodhran / tar. I'm also interested in acquiring a good riq.

On hand percussion, I really dig shekeres. I'm about to release the next batch of shekeres by the weekend; new designs are forthcoming. :)

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got a Tabla pair and will be getting into playing them. I'm spoiled by the greater volume of the congas and djembe.. I am planning on putting a Djembe drum set together (Remo) but I may try to arrange the Tabla into the mix. I love playing hand drums but most of my time is spent drum-wise on the drumset.

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been into vintage congas for about 10 years or so, I've owned many Gon Bops, and some awesome sounding Cuban made drums, but I'm currently playing on a set of Valje Oak congas from the 70s. By far the best sounding drums my hands have touched, they are the holy grail of the vintage conga world for a reason!

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
My favorite hand drum is usually the one I'm playing at that moment. Pandeiro is incredibly versatile. Check out Airto's solos. I've seen him live where with his tuning and mic technique he's bass, toms, snare and beyond with everyone mesmerized for 10-15 minutes or more. I have one I modified so it also covers riqq, tar, bendir and daf territory in one small drum. Doumbek is another drum where finger technique possibilities are endless beyond the traditional ways of playing it. I'm a woodworker and play cajons that I build for myself and others that make sounds way beyond the typical thump and slap. I also play conga, djembe, Nigerian talking drum and anything else I can shake, squeeze, rattle and rub. IMG_2372.JPG

xipa4

Sister Cool
Reaction score
My favorite hand drum is cajon.
I usually played it during acoustic gigs (also with cajon pedal when playing bass guitar simultaneously).

JamisonS

Reaction score
I haven't had extensive experience with many hand drums, but I enjoy the no-fuss nature of congas. I've always loved miked Udu drums, but for me, as Polska and olmanbenny's posts may have alluded, the magic really happens with mics and amplification. Unlike many others these days, I'm not much of a cajon fan. They're convenient and can sound nice, just not a fun play for me.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say one of my favorite hand drum is my DG Siroco cajon; the cool thing about this cajon is the ability to fold up.

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A djembe hands down for me. I'm not a 'qualified' hand percussionist, but I like to pretend I can get down on a djembe. It's like a drum set on a single playing surface. You've got boom in the center, rim shots on the edge, you can play it open or muted. Very dynamic and expressive.

Last time my brother in law was in town we had our typical living room family jam and I brought my brushes to try on the djembe. Excellent instrument for a train shuffle. :)

Even better that my djembe was a gift from my wife's family on our wedding day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Riq, after seeing Glen Velez's performance at the 1998 MD festival.

Also intrigued with the Wambooka.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a slap-drum from www.slapdrum.com, a few year ago ....they sell it as a "lap top" but I installed the guitar-strap buttons and strap, myself.... sort of a portable, wearable cajon ...many sounds from this baby,including nice bass by striking dead center with the heel of my hand. I use it in our bluegrass band.

Attachments

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
olmanbenny said:
The Hadgini is pretty cool. Made by Jamey Haddad and Frank Giorgini, it's an udu...but with internal mics and a volume pedal turned up and your amp eq set a certain way, you can control the feedback from it, getting billows of bassy feedback as you raise your hands off of the drum. A very dynamic and tonally diverse instrument. Jamey plays the hell out of this thing, of course. They're not that expensive either. Can't believe I haven't bought one yet.
Here's Jamey playing it and describing it. What a neat guy.
Frank Giorgini is a neat guy too. And talented !! He & his wife own a funky & friendly restaurant in Freehold NY (Ruby's Hotel). I will be playing there this Saturday [7/11/5] starting 7pm; if anyone lives in Greene County / Albany County area, please stop in. 4-piece with accordion, tuba and 2 percussionists. Always a wild time ! (Good food, too.)