Favorite Jack DeJonette cymbal set?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jack has played (to my count) at least 7 sets of cymbals over the years.
K's
602's
Sound Creations/2002s
Istanbuls..in the video
Sabians 1st generation JDs
Sabians Encores
Sabians Current Cymbals

The ones in the video were my favorites. Would have been fun to hear/watch him just stay with these Istabuls over the years

What was your favorite set/sound?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Came across this Recent recent; (2014)..seems to be having a Good Time...

looks like 3-Points all around and a treasured oldie for China

Last edited:

toddbishop

Reaction score
I've never really been that into his cymbal sounds for their own sake. They sound like Dejohnette. I probably like the 602s best.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
My favorite is from the Trio Beyond Saudades album (‘06) - but admittedly I’ve never been able to nail down what he was using there. The way he works that ride (... and the rest of the kit, of course) is incredible.

Anyone have some inside knowledge on which set up version that was?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He makes all kinds of cymbals sound great. In general I prefer the heavier rides. The early Ks/602s whatever with Miles are too crashy to my ear, as are the latest Sabians.
Some favorites off the top of my head:
Gnu High, 80/81- Paistes, SCDR?
Keith Jarrett: Standards Live - Istanbul
The Cure - 1st gen Sabians?
Standards in Norway sounds good, too.
Michael Brecker: Tales from the Hudson - Encores?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was just going to post a thread about him and Paiste. Any good videos/albums during that era? I'm particularly interested hearing him with Swiss pies.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think he sees it drums/cymbals as 50/50.
Here's about the burning'est he recorded ever:

It's got it all his technique everything
in spades

the hi hat left foot and right hand interplay here is incredible his trademark one of them.
likely his 1978 Sonor dbass set with the Paistes 2oo2s similar to pic above post

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was just going to post a thread about him and Paiste. Any good videos/albums during that era? I'm particularly interested hearing him with Swiss pies.
his CTI sideman recordings
probably earlier Zildjians here;

His ECM early mid 70s stuff is mostly marked premium only on youtube
" Gateway"
~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

paulwells73

Reaction score
I love Jack - all eras, and all cymbals. The first time I heard him was on the first Keith Jarrett ’Standards" video, so his Istanbuls were an early favorite:

The first time I saw him live was at the Modern Drummer Festival in 1989, when he first got his 1st generation Signature line, and I loved those. Then the trio came out with “Bye Bye Blackbird" in 1993, I noticed he was using a riveted ride cymbal. Later that summer, he came through Pittsburgh with his band Special Edition, and I got a chance to meet him and chat a bit at his sound check. He had just received prototypes for his “Encore" series cymbals, and he Showed those to me. I’ll never forget standing a few inches from him as he played some time on the Encore hi hats - incredible to hear and feel that beat so close up! I asked him about the riveted cymbal and he pulled it out of his case - it was his previous generation Signature 22" with rivets added. He’s using it here, and it looks like someone has hammered it a bit as well:

These days, I tend to prefer his Old K sound:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I asked him about the riveted cymbal and he pulled it out of his case - it was his previous generation Signature 22" with rivets added. He’s using it here, and it looks like someone has hammered it a bit as well:
This is a great sounding ride as well.

TrickRoll

Reaction score
I love Jack's sound with the cymbals from the 70's - 2002 and Sound Creation and the sound of his rosewood Phonics.

I had the chance to play that kit and it was wonderful in terms of the 'cymbal set' - nice pitch and timbre relationships. And the drums - to die for.

The ECM sides from that era remain some of my favorites.

Reaction score
I was there when Jack got his first 3 point ride sent to him from Sabian. We both played it, and Chick, Jack, and I talked cymbals with for a while. And when HE played it, it was wonderful. I never really dug any of the Sabian's, but man did they sound great when he played them. He invited me to sit next to his HH for that entire gig, behind the stage curtain.

I like the Sabian's the best when he just used his signature rides, and combined them with normal crashes. Like this (I was at this gig in Philly.)

I have to say his ECM "Pictures" is a record that I wore out as a kid, I didn't "get it," but it just fascinated me. That was a primarily solo record, with a lot of cymbals, it was recorded in what, 1976? The Sound Creations were released in what, 1975? I always wondered if those two "occurrences" could have been slightly "related."

I listened to that record and Abercrombie's "Timeless" a lot early on. Timeless was recorded in 1974, so I wonder if those could have been Sound Creation "protos" or just 602's on that record. They sounded really good! So those sounds are indelibly ingrained upon my brain.

But then the Jarrett "Live" videotape, and I saw those Istanbuls (before I even knew what they were." They sounded GREAT!!!!

When I was introduced to the Charles Lloyd stuff, I fell in love again. (By the way, nice find on that above clip of Jack with no rack tom Paul!!! I've never seen that. BURNIN!!!!!) But I never knew what those cymbals were (pre-internet,) but I assumed K's.

So I guess my order of preference would be this: Paiste, Sound Creation, 602; Istanbul's; and old K's.

The Sabian's never made me not want to listen to Jack (nothing could,) but I never really dug them when played the complete set. But DAMN HE could create some great music on them, that's fer sure! I have an entire DVD of this gig, Jack and Dave are hilarious (and so inspiring!) to watch together.

This goes into orbit!

I just remembered that I saw Jack and Dave together on NYC Blue Note after he second (90's) Gateway (John Abercrombie) recording came out, and purposely sat on Jack's left so I could watch Dave and Jack interact visually. He was playing the Encores and they were better than the originals (I guess.) The whole band was just exploring and laughing the whole gig. Jack kept trying an idea and screwing it up. They just laughed, and Jack kept trying it, until it worked, Dave and Jack both burst out in joyous laughter.

I know it's going to sound nuts, but I am just remembering gigs that I heard Jack do that I had (almost) forgotten about. With Special Edition in the 80's, with Jarrett in the 80's, the Parallel Realities band in the 90's, Gateway in the 90's, with Keith in NYC when the recorded The Cure, with Herbie's New Standards band at Carnegie, Brecker Tales From The Hudson Band, with Chick playing trio with McFerrin. With his own quartet at school......

Like I said, NOTHING could make me not want to see and-or hear Jack play!!!!
MSG

ZiggyM

Reaction score
My favorite is from the Trio Beyond Saudades album (‘06) - but admittedly I’ve never been able to nail down what he was using there. The way he works that ride (... and the rest of the kit, of course) is incredible.

Anyone have some inside knowledge on which set up version that was?
I was at the gig when it was recorded. Still don't know, although looked for photographs of the gig.

Latest posts