Favorite live album

kevinyarger

Reaction score
Livecopper.jpg

This is my favorite Live album. Oh, you meant in concert....:p

Well there is a Live live concert cd but it's a toss up on that one or John Mayer's Where the light is as my favorite concert recording.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of great answers so far! I love a good live album, including many mentioned, but also:
Parliament Funkadelic - Mothership Connection Live
Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove
Jimmy McGriff - Live Where The Action's At!
Jimmy Smith - Root Down
James Brown - Live at the Apollo 1 & 2
Grant Green - Live at the Lighthouse
Jack McDuff - Live!
Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club
Marva Whitney - Live And Lowdown At The Apollo
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Live In Louisville 1978
among others.....

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was extremely jarring to me the first time I heard it, still is.

This was also very powerful and deep. Got into this and worked on it, trying to get into the feeling of playing in that band. Must have been a really wonderful thing to experience that, with the volume and ESP of all the players.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Chuck Mangione - Live At Hollywood Bowl (This one still gets put in the rotation)
The Kinks - One for the Road
Rush - Exit, Stage Left
Diana Krall - Live In Paris

KingLudwig

Reaction score
Miles Davis - Four and More
Frank Sinatra at the Sands with the Count Basie orchestra
Chicago at a Carnegie Hall
Cheap Trick Live at Budokan
Dixie Dregs - Bring them back alive

Cheap Trick - Music for Hangovers.
Aka; Live @the Metro. I was there all 4 glorious nights! I ever got an autographed dbl cd of the weeks live music. Definitely a fun time!
51KJ9BM83RL.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hendrix Woodstock, Fillmore (Band of Gypsies) and Atlanta Pop 7/4/70. SRV Live at the El Mocambo. Too many Dead shows but 6/18/74 Louisville and 8/27/72 Veneta, OR. Miles Live at the Plugged Nickel v.1-4. Miles Live Evil, Jazz at Massey Hall, Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard Again. Who @Leeds no doubt. Lou Reed R&R Animal, Exit Stage Left, Corea Akoustic Live and Trilogy, Johnny Cash @Folsom, James Brown @Apollo, Deep Purple MIJ, Cheap Trick Budokan, Doors In concert, Nirvana & Clapton unplugged, but Allman Bros. Fillmore has gotta be the ultimate live album.....twice!

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
We should do Best Live Albums Less Than 50 Years Old since that would remove 99% of the responses on this thread.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Before I get to my favorite, over the past week I've been enjoying a new one from Neil Young called "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" (released in late February). The album was recorded on November 13, 1990 at The Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA, where the band was warming up for their upcoming Ragged Glory tour. The show consisted of three sets and an encore, featuring most of recently released Ragged Glory, as well as older fan favourites and deeper cuts.

A little like KISS, Thin Lizzy had recorded five albums before really finding their sound with "Jailbreak," but had a great set of tunes and ferocious energy when they recorded the double-live "Live & Dangerous" in 1978. It's a monster, and I never get tired of it.

This one is another deadly live album by Thin Lizzy!

Attachments