Favorite Ludwig Wrap

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I figured this would be a fun question to ask, so here it goes. What’s your favorite vintage Ludwig wrap? Maybe your favorite wrap isn’t typically seen on a vintage ludwig kit... whatever it may be, Im curious to hear about everybody’s favorite vintage Ludwig wraps. I’ve gotta go with the classic sky blue pearl and blue sparkle. Let me know about yours!
In order:
-Vintage Black Oyster Pearl - Ringo
-Green Sparkle-John Bonham
-Marine Oyster Pearl-Buddy Rich
1603191143000.jpeg

Topbnanna

Reaction score
I figured this would be a fun question to ask, so here it goes. What’s your favorite vintage Ludwig wrap? Maybe your favorite wrap isn’t typically seen on a vintage ludwig kit... whatever it may be, Im curious to hear about everybody’s favorite vintage Ludwig wraps. I’ve gotta go with the classic sky blue pearl and blue sparkle. Let me know about yours!
Burgundy Sparkle and Champagne Sparkle

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I also vote for mid-60s Oyster Blue. When the bowling ball version was later introduced, I about threw up, and I'm not crazy about today's attempt. I also liked their re-issue of Pink Oyster, a few years ago, which wasn't around very long. One critic said it looked like wrapped bacon!
pink oyster.jpg

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Obviously the Ringo but I have these two that are modern reissues of vintage and I love them both. Pink Oyster Pearl and Salesman.

Attachments

m.clover

Reaction score
Do you guys remember the 50s duco wrap ? Not necessarily my favorite but brings back many happy memories.

1603203658292.png

MidiFinger

Reaction score
I used to have Black Diamond Pearl... honestly, I hated it. I ended up ripping it off and refinishing my drums with thermogloss... I love the natural woodgrain look.

rcopo69

Reaction score
Man, that's a hard question !! In my case it would be easier to answer the ones I dislike the most, because it would be a much smaller number.
One group of Ludwig wraps that more then likely will not be mentioned here, are the Standard Line wraps that were produced from May, 1968 & discontinued on March 1, 1974.
I think they were right up there with some of the most beautiful wraps that Ludwig every produced !!
I enjoyed all 4 of the Gold, Silver, Red & Blue Mist Wraps. The small flakes just made the colors pop more, that made the color much more vivid then the Classic Line Sparkle Wraps with the larger flakes.
I enjoyed all 5 of the psychedelic style Gold, Silver, Red, Blue & the hard to find Charcoal Astro Wraps. You more then likely had to grow up in the 1960's to get the Astro Wraps.
And last, the 6 ripple style Gold, Bronze, Lemon, Ruby, Blue & Avocado Strata Wraps, I was drawn to these, because of the ripple pattern, like the Classic Line's Oyster Pearl Wraps.
These Standards are getting harder to find anymore. Through the 70's & 80's they were a dime a dozen, & because of that, you could pick them up at a good price.
It was a big thing through those years for drummers & drum builders (the unsung heroes in the drumming world) to buy those kits & say it's only a Standard Line Wrap, so they would toss the Standard Wraps & re-wrap then in a Classic Line or Custom Wraps. And as all know here, the shells where Classic Line shells, so there was no problem selling them. They sounded as good as a Ludwig Classic, because they were, just different wraps, lugs & P-83 strainer, unless you had a pre-1968 Classic Line snare, because they had P-83 strainer too. I knew many people that changed out those Standard Line Wraps over the years, & also watch them disappear, & I walked in a small footprint on this planet. Just like the Volkswagen Beetles. They were a dime a dozen in the 60's & 70's too, & now of days you say, L@@k, " There's a Volkswagen Beetle " !!