Favorite Odd Meter song/piece/recording/performance

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I've been asked to do a clinic/master class on odd meters by a local college. And am kind of deep into prepping for it... what to present, how to present it, etc. And while I'm fairly well-versed on the subject, I really don't want to leave anything important out. So I thought I'd turn to the group here and ask for your favorites with the hopes you all might catch what I might be missing...

Thanks in advance for any and all input you feel like offering - David

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh gee.

Happiness is a Warm Gun, to show that odd meters can show up when you least expect them.

Any Alex Lifeson riff, because it's easy to play odd meters when the riff is so strong.

"Supper's Ready Apocalypse in 9/8" section because a slow odd meter has a lot of room to live in.

An entire Vijay Iyer Trio record, because sometimes you have to give up counting and just listen to music.

Eric Dolphy "Hat and Beard" as a reminder that you can still be loose and odd.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Can't forget the standards:
Take 5 - Brubeck
Money - Pink Floyd

Pick any Rush song.

You might also want to visit a simple piece in 3/4 time (REAL 3/4) as it is becoming rare to hear. Everything I've been hearing lately has been "Bass,tap,tap, Snare,tap,tap" Sounding more like a slow 6/8 rather than 3/4.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
always liked
Joe Farrell " Follow Your Heart" (J. McLaughlin) Jack D. on drums.
Pretty simple (easy going. slow temp )
5 1/2 - 4 all the way (11/ 8 thru..
I like counting it 5 1/2- 4:
1 2 3 4 5+6 1 2 3 4 5+6

11/8 .... 5 and a half/ four.

Last edited:

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't forget the standards:
Take 5 - Brubeck
Money - Pink Floyd

Pick any Rush song.

You might also want to visit a simple piece in 3/4 time (REAL 3/4) as it is becoming rare to hear. Everything I've been hearing lately has been "Bass,tap,tap, Snare,tap,tap" Sounding more like a slow 6/8 rather than 3/4.
Manic Depression

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt Cameron. I love how he makes odd time feel not so...mechanical.

5 - My Wave
6 - Fell on black days
7 - Spoonman
9 - Black hole sun

Note: Most of these also include sections of 4. I love how Soundgarden mixed 4/4 with odd time sections.

These were all radio songs. Impressive. There's lots of prog guys that do the odd time thing, and it generally turns into a math tutor session (first one to find "1" gets a piece of carrot cake). I'm more moved by a drummer (and band, for that matter), that can make odd time accessible.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back on something in 3/4, The Drum Also Waltzes (if drum set only is okay).

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I don’t know if this will suit your academic purposes, but this is one of the most treasured from the Genesis catalog. 7/8 time, and some of the happiest, most exultant music I know.

I certainly recommend the studio version off Selling England by the Pound, but this gives you a live version of just the 7/8 portion. Obviously produced for television, so don’t mind the silent movie antics.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Matt Cameron. I love how he makes odd time feel not so...mechanical.

5 - My Wave
6 - Fell on black days
7 - Spoonman
9 - Black hole sun

Note: Most of these also include sections of 4. I love how Soundgarden mixed 4/4 with odd time sections.

These were all radio songs. Impressive. There's lots of prog guys that do the odd time thing, and it generally turns into a math tutor session (first one to find "1" gets a piece of carrot cake). I'm more moved by a drummer (and band, for that matter), that can make odd time accessible.
Don't forget Outshined!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
--Eruption section of Tarkus (ELP)
--The Star-Spangled Banner
--Take it to the Limit (actually goes back and forth between 3/4 & 6/8 to allow you to point out the differences)
--In the Dead of Night (UK)

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
One tune that has always fascinated me is the hymn "Oh Worship The King". It's a March in 3/4. Plain as day. It's not exactly a 'retreat march' like 'The Green Hills of Tyrol". I mean how you count it might be the same, but it has an anthemic feel to it. I don't know how to characterize the difference.