Favorite Odd Meter song/piece/recording/performance

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Playing 2 measures of odd time makes it even (sorta) makes 5/4 seem like 10/8?
I use this bare bones beat in one of my 5/4 originals

CYM {1*3*5 ][ *2*4*}
K {1**** ][1****}
SN {***4* ][***4*}

Last edited:

PaulD

Reaction score
Playing 2 measures of odd time makes it even (sorta) makes 5/4 seem like 10/8?
I use this bare bones beat in one of my 5/4 originals

CYM {1*3*5 ][ *2*4*}
K {1**** ][1****}
SN {***4* ][***4*}
What tempo do you typically play that at? Putting the hi-hat on {*2*4* ][ 1*3*5} would add to the mental exercise.

Last edited:

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The album that got me really interested in odd meters is "Extensions", by the Dave Holland Quartet. The entire band is so fluid and improvisatory within the various structures, and the drumming of Marvin "Smitty" Smith is particularly stellar. For a specific tune, "Nemesis" is killing from the first note, in 11/8.

There is a burning drumming performance by Gene Lake on the album "The Tao of Mad Phat", by Steve Coleman and Five Elements.

Narada Michael Walden on Mahavishnu’s “Eternity’s Breath (Part I)” is another great one.

EDIT: Simon Phillips' monumental 7/4 double kick shuffle on "Space Boogie" by Jeff Beck is simply jaw dropping.

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
Personally I get a kick out of Moon Dog's orchestral material and narratives. I also liked Don's stuff back when it was happening...can't name the tunes though.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s all in 7 but the the subtle accents and interplay creates some really interesting textural stuff. And it’s Jaki Liebezeit so it ain’t gonna be sloppy, ever.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty much anything that Danny Carey, Bill Bruford & Vinnie have had a hand in.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
What tempo do you typically play that at? Putting the hi-hat on {*2*4* ][ 1*3*5} would add to the mental exercise.
170 bpm, I like that reverse and now I'll break up that beat with a 2 measure thang, thanks.
The main beat in that tune is based on this 'moodiment' RLLRLRRLRL, rights are ride notes, lefts are between open or closed hat and snare (hat LL snare L, ghosting the next 2 Ls) , kick plays first two Rs then first R and double RR in alternating measures. The 'bare bones' beat is in an interlude quiet section.

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally I get a kick out of Moon Dog's orchestral material and narratives. I also liked Don's stuff back when it was happening...can't name the tunes though.
Yeah, about 75% of Moondog's tunes are in 5/4. And then in rounds. I'm on a sort of Moondog kick right now. Just finished writing a big band arrangement of "Dog Trot".

chrismroz

Reaction score
So I've been asked to do a clinic/master class on odd meters by a local college. And am kind of deep into prepping for it... what to present, how to present it, etc. And while I'm fairly well-versed on the subject, I really don't want to leave anything important out. So I thought I'd turn to the group here and ask for your favorites with the hopes you all might catch what I might be missing...

Thanks in advance for any and all input you feel like offering - David
You can't get more odd than this... Harry Partch Ensemble. Heard them live last Friday. Electrifying percussions. For academics only.

logan@nc.rr.com

Reaction score
Thorazine Shuffle by Gov't Mule is 5-5-5-4-3 which makes for a pretty odd meter. As a bonus you get a cowbell solo from Matt Abts.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lots of great posts! Thanks for starting this! Comes to mind Zappa/Roxy& Elsewhere, Zappa moves in and out of various times but my favorite side is the medley with Village of the Sun and Echinida's Arf which moves in and out of odd times but the cool section at around 3:09 mark (probably in 5/16, and returns in Don't you Wash..)

Tanabata

Reaction score
The Grateful Dead have played a lot of music in odd meters, and for odd meter, it's always got a very natural feel. Estimated Prophet is great, you can think of it in 7/4 or a larger 7/2, sort of a box inside a box, which Jerry loved.

Playing in the Band is in 10

Another fun one from a Jerry Garcia record, Reuben and Cherise, kinda tricky, Ron Tutt on this session

Even songs you might have heard a million times, like Uncle John's Band and Loose Lucy, have fun tricks and turns in them.

Lastly, Unbroken Chain from Mars Hotel

This page lists a lot of Dead tunes in odd meter and breaks it down.

audiophile

Reaction score
Pretty much anything Danny Carrey does. Especially tracks like "Stinkfist" & "Sober" I have always enjoyed TOOL if for no other reason than Danny's playing.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Grateful Dead have played a lot of music in odd meters, and for odd meter, it's always got a very natural feel. Estimated Prophet is great, you can think of it in 7/4 or a larger 7/2, sort of a box inside a box, which Jerry loved.

Playing in the Band is in 10

Another fun one from a Jerry Garcia record, Reuben and Cherise, kinda tricky, Ron Tutt on this session

Even songs you might have heard a million times, like Uncle John's Band and Loose Lucy, have fun tricks and turns in them.

Lastly, Unbroken Chain from Mars Hotel

This page lists a lot of Dead tunes in odd meter and breaks it down.

Agreed! Huge Dead fan here...BUT...Playing is not in an odd time. 10 is an even number. Unless you count it in 5/4 but that feels very weird--actually it's more like 4/4 for 2 measures followed by a single measure of 2/4. Also, Estimated is only an odd time if you count it in 7/4, but I've always felt it as alternating measures of 4/4 & 3/4. And if you count it in 14 it's STILL even. I always have trouble with Comes a Time...what is going on with that one?? Very strange feel on it imho.

Latest posts