Favorite Odd Meter song/piece/recording/performance

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
So I've been asked to do a clinic/master class on odd meters by a local college. And am kind of deep into prepping for it... what to present, how to present it, etc. And while I'm fairly well-versed on the subject, I really don't want to leave anything important out. So I thought I'd turn to the group here and ask for your favorites with the hopes you all might catch what I might be missing...

Thanks in advance for any and all input you feel like offering - David
David - So, how did your clinic go? I'm more interested in hearing about that!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Grateful Dead have played a lot of music in odd meters, and for odd meter, it's always got a very natural feel. Estimated Prophet is great, you can think of it in 7/4 or a larger 7/2, sort of a box inside a box, which Jerry loved.

Playing in the Band is in 10

Another fun one from a Jerry Garcia record, Reuben and Cherise, kinda tricky, Ron Tutt on this session

Even songs you might have heard a million times, like Uncle John's Band and Loose Lucy, have fun tricks and turns in them.

Lastly, Unbroken Chain from Mars Hotel

This page lists a lot of Dead tunes in odd meter and breaks it down.

Forgot about Lazy Lightning and Supplication as well...

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, and probably too late to contribute to David's project, but my favorite: "Mixing" ("Misturada") by Airto.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Listen to the Head. The First six measures.
It's 5 cut in half. Briefly. But it's there - the first six measures- and then some measures of 3- and repeats every time the Head (melody) is played.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hung my head. Vinnie.

Also, here's Vinnie on how he approached Seven Days. Fascinating.

Yep, you beat me to it! While I play a great deal of material in "odd" signatures and like even more, these two are my favorites to play for sheer fun. I tend to lean on 5/7 over say 7 or 9, but thier all fun.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Bout ready to say there's no such thing...

just grouping numbers together
stopping and starting
chopping or adding
At a drum clinic about 20 years ago, Chester Thompson told us that every odd-time signature can be made easily doable, if approached as playing various combinations of 2 beat measures and/or 3 beat measures.

Best advice I ever got on playing odd time, from a man who built his career on it.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At a drum clinic about 20 years ago, Chester Thompson told us that every odd-time signature can be made easily doable, if approached as playing various combinations of 2 beat measures and/or 3 beat measures.

Best advice I ever got on playing odd time, from a man who built his career on it.
Definitely! That's pretty well the same comment I mentioned a few pages back. Eastern Europeans translate "2 beat measures and/or 3 beat measures" (or groupings within a phrase) into simply "short"(2) or "long" (3), which makes sense considering the speed at which some of their songs are played. I'd never be able to count 8th, let alone 16th at those tempos. My brain wants numbers, but once I got used to this method it helped me with really fast, syncopated odd times.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 9.35.16 AM.png

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've posted this one before. Cult of Luna, I the weapon. The middle bridge is alternating 6/8 5/8

And then this little diddy from Converge. This is the song Dark horse with a blisteringly fast 5/4 main riff.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry so long between replies. Thanks for all the input....

A few call outs -

tempobob - The 7/8 in "Anyone Who Had a Heart" is particularly weird. As the rest of the song is a slow 4/4 felt in triplets - except for the 1st bar of the verses- which is in 5/4. But... the 1/8th notes in the 7/8 bar don't equal 1/8th notes... they equal the triplets from the preceding bar. Which is just notationally wrong. But to make it right would've required writing the whole song in 12/8 - which wouldn't be weird, but that 1st 5/4 bar written as 15/8 sure would've been back the early 60's. After orchestra's have heard it once (during the first near train-wreck run though) they just take it in stride.

funkypoodle - I'm kind of a "ta ki ta ta ka ta ka - ta ka ta ka ta ki ta ta ka ta ka" guy myself. I started doing it that way really early on, so my tongue can kind of blaze through those pretty darn fast.

erict43 - love the Nate Smith stuff... thanks

logan@nc.rr.com - Gov't Mule plays that so nonchalantly - very impressive

To all debating what is or isn't an odd time - my take on it.... I like to think of "odd meter" as mainly an odd top number, but also thinking in terms of "odd" meaning "unusual". So for me - 3/4 isn't. And 10/4 is.

bigbonzo - The clinic hasn't happened yet... it's Friday afternoon March 6th - at Cal Poly Pomona (east of Los Angeles) 2-4pm. It's open to the public for anyone interested and in the area. So I'm still prepping - I've been thinking about this for a long time - and then of course, procrastinated way too long. So I'm deep into putting it together - lots of new play-a-long material (for me to play along with), building a big powerpoint presentation (actually Keynote - I' a mac guy) with lots of audio examples, audio play alongs, notation, some video. It's being really fun to put together... but I have SO much still to do... :)

DrummerJustLikeDad - when you get right down to it, that really is the heart of it... it's not always exactly measures of 2 and 3 (though you could look at it that way) but also measures that contain beats of different lengths - some beats containing 2 eighths mixed with others with 3 eighths or with 4 sixteenths and 3 sixteenths and 2 sixteenths. But yes, it really is all - 2's and 3's... and counting...

Anyway - thanks again all!!

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Eastern Europeans translate "2 beat measures and/or 3 beat measures" (or groupings within a phrase) into simply "short"(2) or "long" (3), which makes sense considering the speed at which some of their songs are played. I'd never be able to count 8th, let alone 16th at those tempos.
This.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider might be an ordinary 4/4 song where all of a sudden one measure of odd time is thrown in there. Have a Cigar from Floyd is like that. There are a few places where 5/4 bars are thrown in. Did they do it to make it harder for people to copy them? Haha. Barracuda was another song mentioned that does this. There are plenty of them.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
One of the most ambitious young talents of the 2000s, Sufjan Stevens. This tune starts in 5 with an eventual transition to 6/8

A catchy XTC tune in 5/4 with a challenging intro and alternating sidestick pattern from bar to bar