Favorite rush song.

Drm1979

Reaction score
While we all realize the hurt that each of us who looked up to Neil Peart is feeling I feel we should celebrate the amazing musical and drumming contributions that Neil made in his 40 years in Rush. So what is your favorite song by Rush. Mine's Freewill. The way Neil played the bridge with Alex and Geddy's guitar and bass work blows me away everytime I hear it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that's a tough question to answer. Rush has so many amazing songs and are my favorite band of all time. But if I had to pick just one it would be Freewill as well. It's a masterpiece in every sense. After hearing it thousands of times I still get goose bumps (especially in that very special bridge that everyone knows). Best song ever to go out for a drive! Now I will really miss Rush. I looked forward to everytime they released a new album because every single one was different. I had high hopes of another one eventually until I heard the news today. I guess now it's officially over! Without Neil their is no Rush!:(

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that's a tough question to answer. Rush has so many amazing songs and are my favorite band of all time. But if I had to pick just one it would be Freewill as well. It's a masterpiece in every sense. After hearing it thousands of times I still get goose bumps (especially in that very special bridge that everyone knows). Best song ever to go out for a drive! Now I will really miss Rush. I looked forward to everytime they released a new album because every single one was different. I had high hopes of another one eventually until I heard the news today. I guess now it's officially over! Without Neil their is no Rush!:(
I knew there would never be another Rush anything . That’s just who Neil was . He said he was done and that was it .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
So many great songs and albums.....Neil was brilliant not only as a drummer but as a lyricist. But song wise, La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, Camera's Eye, By Tor, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions, Freewill, The Trees, Fly by Night, Hemispheres, Cygnus X, Necromancer, Working Man, and especially 2112 stand out for me. In grad school, before EVERY test, I would put my tape of Moving Pictures in my 1988 Mustang GT and CRANK YYZ......I got a lot of dirty looks in the parking lot but EF everyone.....what a motivating song!

I remember seeing them for Test for Echo in Sacramento at the Arco Arena in 1996. They were doing the full 2112 on that tour. We were quite pre-partied up and they did the whole song and nailed - it was just the ultimate freakin' rock symphony. And I remember at the end, "Attention All Starships of the Solar Federation....we have assumed control!", I could swear the roof was going to open up and a big UFO was going to suck all of us up!!!! They ended the first set with it and I swear one of my buddies went into a seizure! It was a crazy good time......I remember the parking lot had thousands of cars all trying to leave and none were moving. The four of us were just sitting at the car and continued the festivities until we realized we were the only car left.......

Also saw Counterparts, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows & R30.....they blew me away each time.

I had to work in Fresno today and went over to Bentleys and hung out there afterwards. Dana had Rock in Rio playing on the TV, we chatted about Rush, Neil, DW, etc. Got to see some vintage goodies, too, but a pretty somber mood all around. I then popped into the Fresno GC and there was nobody in the drum dept, so I sat down still in a suit and played YYZ and Tom Sawyer as loud and best I could from memory on a blue Ludwig Breakbeats kit with no hats, just a ride and 2 crashes, and it was freakin' perfect!

My soul is just crushed tonite.......

Last edited:

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Counterparts was the first Rush album I bought when I was a freshman in high school. The first song on that album is still my favortie Rush track - Animate.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hemispheres
The song is the whole side 1 of the album. I loved it when it came out in 1978 and still do.

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
I didn't fully appreciate Neil's lyrical prowess until high school, but the song that really stands out for me, both musically and lyrically, is "Freewill".
After that I have to say the "The Pass" from Presto (one of Neil's favorites) and "Nobody's Hero" are two of their most underrated songs.
I also have to mention that "The Garden" from Clockwork Angels was a really difficult song to get through last night after I heard the news, but it was actually the first one that came to mind and I had to listen...

gbow

Reaction score
ALL OF THEM!!

Including newer ones like "Main Monkey Business" although I hate to point out any single one, they are ALL great.

I have a huge Rush Spotify playlist that I've worn out for as long as I've had spotify... maybe 8 years or more.

I've worn out albums back in the day, CDs until they wouldn't play any more, DVDs until they were good for nothing but frisbees and oh I almost forgot about the old cassettes.

When I met my wife in the mid-90s, she wasn't a Rush fan. Now it's her favorite band!

I just can't get over that Bubba is gone..... ARRGH!!

gabo

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Running thru the entire Rush catalog this morning with tears in my eyes...Rest easy Neil Peart

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
My favourite piece of Rush music is " La Villa Strangiatto"
My favourite song would be "Limelight" - the lyrical content, musicianship and flow - perfection!

Living in the limelight
The universal dream
For those who wish to seem
Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation
The underlying theme

Latest posts