Favorite Sizzle

drummingbulldog

Reaction score

These two recordings made me invest in my first sizzle cymbal which was an Zildjian A Custom 20" Sizzle Ride. I still have it along with a recently acquired Sabian HH 18" Ed Thigpen Crystal Ride. What are some of your favorite examples of sizzles on record or cymbal in your collection?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips (couldn't listen to the first one).
Recordings: Bill Evans w/Paul Motian, here played with sticks, but my favorite sound is single hits with brushes:
Favorites from my colelction include a 20" 60s A around 1830g and a Mehmet Trad. Original around 2000g, very flat profile, which reminds me of the Paul Motian A.

The Gadd sizzle sound might be a small crash; makes me want to take the drill to one of my 16"ers :)

marc3k

Reaction score
Recordings: Bill Evans w/Paul Motian, here played with sticks, but my favorite sound is single hits with brushes:
Favorites from my colelction include a 20" 60s A around 1830g and a Mehmet Trad. Original around 2000g, very flat profile, which reminds me of the Paul Motian A.
Oh cool, you think your mehmet traditional sizzle sounds somewhat similar? Is it also a 20"? I love the sound of the sizzle in the "sunday at village vanguard" album:

I first bought a 20" A custom sizzle ride (2266g) after reading somewhere that Mitch Mitchell used one. For jazz I find it too heavy and I don't like the sound too much (maybe too bright?). I recently bought a 21" Agop Mel Lewis (2158g) which I really like!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh cool, you think your mehmet traditional sizzle sounds somewhat similar? Is it also a 20"?
I first bought a 20" A custom sizzle ride (2266g) after reading somewhere that Mitch Mitchell used one. For jazz I find it too heavy and I don't like the sound too much (maybe too bright?). I recently bought a 21" Agop Mel Lewis (2158g) which I really like!
I've heard and played quite a few Mels (Mehmet Legend). The Mehmet Trad. (yes, 20") is stiffer, with a slightly higher bell, so it's a bit more A-like. Similar to the Paul Motian A in that it stays out of the way of the piano, but a different flavor.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first time I ever heard a "sizzle" cymbal was at my high school's senior prom (not my year - I was simply there hanging out). I stayed with a couple of friends of mine seated in the bleachers just behind the bandstand, and the drummer had one of those Camco sizzle arms on his ride cymbal.
1586545920870.png

I was entranced by the sound of that thing and kept on wishing that the drummer would hit it again and again.

Music for me has always been rock or pop, so hearing a sizzle cymbal on record was rare, but the first time I recall hearing one that featured prominently was on (I think) Mitch Mitchell's kit on The Wind Cries Mary.

My favorite personal sizzler is my 20" Sabian HH Medium Ride. I have four rivets in that one, and this cymbal has lived up to all expectations.

GeeDeeEmm

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^Supposedly the same cymbal as with Bill Evans. You can see the low profile and large bell in some spots (4min in).

MrYikes

Reaction score
I had a camco sizzler and used it often. I liked that I could easily lift them to stop the sizzle for some songs. To make a sizzle so that I could see if I wanted rivets on a cymbal, I cut a strap of plastic from a jug (gallon milk jug or similar), made a hole in one end and three holes in the other end for rivets. It worked.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
My A Custom Sizzle ride is great for the brush hits or rods. Sounds good with mallets too. The Sabian Crystal ride sounds great but since it's small & flat it only does with woody stick thing quietly with hiss. But I kinda knew that.

SKINZ

Reaction score
MY OWN FAVORITE SIZZZZZZZLES
20 OLD A ZILDJIAN 6 RIVETS
20 A CUSTOM FLAT RIDE 2 RIVETS STEREO
18 2002 MED CRASH 4 RIVETS -RIDES AND CRASHESSSSSSSSSS
20 BOSPHORUS TRADITIONAL THIN CRASH 2 RIVETS STEREO
PRO MARK RATTLERS BIG N SMALL
PLUS A FLIP UP SIZZLER LIKE ABOVE AND VARIOUS BEADED CHAINS SMALL MED LARGE

Browny

Reaction score
I’ve currently got a Pro-Mark sizzler chain on a 22” 2500g 60s A... does that count?

Latest posts