Favorite song meant for drum solo

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to some drum solo songs today, and it struck me that there have been very few rock songs written expressly as a vehicle for a drum solo. Maybe in jazz, but I'm not counting jazz because of the focus on solos in general. I don't count songs where the band decided to have the drummer take a solo during live shows - I'm looking for songs that have a solo on the studio version, or where they never played it live without a drum solo (so, YYZ by Rush or Working Man don't count here).

So, here are my favorites:

1. Moby d**k (Led Zeppelin) - I just love the riffs here, and of course, Bonham's solo rules.

2. Man With The Golden Arm (The Sweet) - I love this song, too - a great nod to the big band era, and Mick Tucker makes the most of it with his incredible solo.

3. (Honorable Mention) - The Mule (Deep Purple) - OK, so this didn't have a drum solo on the studio version, but wow, I just think it was made for Ian's solo when played live.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)
Radar Love (Golden Earring)
Voodoo Chile (NOT slight return) (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Losing You (Rod Stewart)
I'm A Man (Chicago)

Maybe not "drum solos" in the strictest sense but....

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mongrel said:
Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)
Radar Love (Golden Earring)
Voodoo Chile (NOT slight return) (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Losing You (Rod Stewart)
I'm A Man (Chicago)

Maybe not "drum solos" in the strictest sense but....
How could I forget about Frankenstein? That definitely makes my list - love the whole thing.
Voodoo Chile - that is a cool extended break for Mitch. Jimi loved Mitch's drumming; you can tell.
And....I'm a Man - I guess that counts for Chicago, but not for Spencer Davis...so that makes the list on a technicality. And I love that one too!
Kenney Jones takes enough bars on Losing You for it to count as a drum solo, to me, anyway - and they did the drum break live and in the studio - nice catch.