Favorite song your playing out right now.

dambugg

What?
Reaction score
What is your favorite tune your band currently has on the set list? I would say that right now I am having a lot of fun with " I got a line on you babe", by Spirit. It's just a blast to play. I am also grateful for talking my band into never playing "sweet home Alabama" ever agian. No dis on the tune I am just sick of it.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'd have to say "Baby One More Time" originally by Britney Spears, but we do it more like the Fountains of Wayne version, which is slower and not Britney Spears! I really like the simple drum fill when the drums come in and in between the verses and choruses. We get a lot of looks when we start playing it, but then everyone sings along.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Aint it Funny How Time just Slips Away. Close seconds: Sultanas of Swing (heh heh) and Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy. BennyK.

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
This Thelonious Monk tune called "Bye Ya." I've actually only played it out once with this band that was a one time gig... But I love that tune and I'd love to be playing it more. My regular jazz combo doesn't know it though, and apparently it isn't in any of the books that they have.

It's got a really neat structure, that tune- the way that it goes back and fourth from a latin type feel to a swing. It's an AABA form and the A parts are with the latin feel, except for the last bar of each where it changes to swing.

tomtomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
johnlamond said:
One Way Out by the Allman Brothers Band.
I agree with that as my favorite (didn't Sonny Boy Williamson write it?)

Or perhaps "Day of the Eagle" by Robin Trower.

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
With the straight-ahead jazz quintet: "Softly as a Morning Sunrise". Beautiful melody, nice medium swing feel, a great framework to play a solo chorus on brushes.

With the harder jazz/funk/R&B outfit: a tossup between "Land of Make Believe" and our arrangement of "Free Man in Paris" by Joni Mitchell, both good blowing tunes.

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
5 Style said:
This Thelonious Monk tune called "Bye Ya." ...It's got a really neat structure, that tune- the way that it goes back and fourth from a latin type feel to a swing. It's an AABA form and the A parts are with the latin feel, except for the last bar of each where it changes to swing.
+1 on that - we do it too. Most any Monk tune offers ample opportunities.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The keyboardist in my duo worked up a brilliant soul version of the old BREAD hit, "I'd Like To Make It With You"...It brings the chills whenever he sings it.

We just learned Sam Cooke's version of "Basin Street Blues".
With it's slow deliberate tempo, it can be quite a challenge for me to sing and play, but after a couple more run-thrus we'll be ready to debut it at our next gig.

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
5 Style wrote:
This Thelonious Monk tune called "Bye Ya." ...It's got a really neat structure, that tune- the way that it goes back and fourth from a latin type feel to a swing. It's an AABA form and the A parts are with the latin feel, except for the last bar of each where it changes to swing.

+1 on that - we do it too. Most any Monk tune offers ample opportunities.
Yea... although I'm getting to the point where I can play a pretty good variety of jazz tunes, I still have trouble with the phrasing on a lot of the Monk stuff. Like I still haven't quite got "Straight no Chaser" together to my satisfaction. Charlie Parker tunes can be real challenging too. I do like playing that "Softly" tune though. I played it with some folks where we'd change it up from a swing to a bossa nova feel in and out of the bridge. With a melody like that it seems that you can make it work with just about any rhythm underneath it.

j.edgarwarthog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Happy Time" from the Buddy Rich cd "Keep the Customer Satisfied". The number is not on the original lp album. This is one of those numbers that starts out hot and the horns layer it and just keep taking it up and up. No drum solo on this. This one is for the horns to show off.

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would have to be "All Right Now" by Free, or "Jealous Again" by The Black Crowes. I play open G guitar on the Crowes tune, and am having a ball with that tuning. I'm also a huge Free fan lately.

dambugg

What?
Reaction score
DrumBob said:
It would have to be "All Right Now" by Free, or "Jealous Again" by The Black Crowes. I play open G guitar on the Crowes tune, and am having a ball with that tuning. I'm also a huge Free fan lately.
This just reminded me of how bad I've always wanted to cover "Sister Salvation" by the Black Crowes. Good stuff