Favorite stand for tom

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I'm getting closer to completing my Ludwig trans badge kit I realize that I will need a way to mount the 13" tom. I have used snare stands in the past and they work ok. So the question is, what stand do you find that works the best?
Thank you!

Jeff C

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased one of the Tama tom stands and like it a lot. Its light weight, sturdy has all of the adjustment features i need. The only thing is that it doesn’t fold all the way.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The pearl stands with the suspension rubber arms are the best for not choking your Tom on a stand

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the DW Ultralight snare stand for my tom. It doesn’t choke the drum at all. I use the Tama classic stand for my snare, and I LOVE that stand. But I tried the Tama tom stand and it was too tall. It put my 13” Tom in an uncomfortable position.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does the flat base design seem to be a problem with the positioning of the stand around other stands or does that design help that situation?

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I second the DW. Also dig the Sakae flat based stand if you can still find one. I did have to cut the Sakae down a little.

Cheers and blessings, Trey

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also use the DW Ultra-light. I don't like it for snare drums (another story), but it's great for a mounted tom. I A-B'd it with a "regular" basket-style double-braced stand and it difference was actually shocking. The tom SANG on the DW stand and was completely choked on the heavy-duty stand.
The flush-base makes positioning easy. The legs fit under BD spurs allowing one to snuggle the upright post right up next to the BD. They also easily fit under other stands.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Depending on where you are, I found the best way to pick a stand was by bringing my tom to the music store. I was surprised by how the different types
of material the drum sits on in the basket changed the sound. I don't tighten the basket all the way but I noticed the softer or more rubbery the material was
the less it choked the drum. I use older DW 7000 series stands and I've also used the DW ultalight and Yamaha cross town stands. All three work very well

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Axis Vortex tube and swivel with a Gauger flex frame can't be beat, IMO. I have them clamped to cymbal stands.

This allowed removing the tom mounts from my Renown and now the whole shell can be seen. Here's a pic from when they were on my Sonor Phonic kit. I can setup the toms anywhere above or around the bass drum with this combo. The lack of a deep snare basket makes it happen.

sonor axiz gauger mount 1.jpeg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All great suggestions, thank you very much for taking time to help me out. I will consider all of these and make a decision.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the DW stand that is popular?

That's the stand I would've started with had I known about them. There is no deep basket and the angle can be sharp enough for what I'm doing. Cheaper than the Axis/Gauger thing, too (by about $100!).

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the stand I would've started with had I known about them. There is no deep basket and the angle can be sharp enough for what I'm doing. Cheaper than the Axis/Gauger thing, too (by about $100!).
Thank you so much for your time! Now, to get those drums finished!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.
It is a phenomenally useful stand. It sits the tom in the perfect position. It doesn’t choke it ... providing there is a good INDE mount attached.
Just a great little bit of engineering.

BBC49FC3-C14A-4F82-A973-1556DF132C0B.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Classic tom stand. Works like a charm, doesn’t choke the drum and looks cool.

View attachment 494076

+1 on the Tama Classic tom stand. I have been using one since they came out. It replaced my DW Ultralight snare stand. The DW was not as sturdy as the Tama and had a tendency to collapse when played heavily.
The Tama has been flawless and so good, I am purchasing a second.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this Tama Titan tom stand in 1985. It held two of these 3 toms > 10x14,12x15,12x16 < all these years and is as tight as the day it was new and the chrome looks new.

TAMA3.jpg