Favorite use of Octobans?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree, well done. I am building a set of Octobans right now and was inspired by the recent Simon Phillips thread as well as my love for smaller, higher tuned toms and how they cut through the music. I feel what you are saying, so often Octobans feel like an after thought, like the drummer remembers they have them, rips into them for a fill then goes back to playing. I really like what Jansen did here and am also impressed with his accuracy, the sweet spot of a 6" is not easy to hit and he was spot on.

I don't have a video to post right now but will keep my eye out for one that inspirational.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always liked how Bruford used them during the King Crimson "Discipline" era. Not sure if they were actual octobans or his own version of them, but he'd use them in place of a ride cymbal.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jansen...is just great...Octabons...meh...not a fan....give me a timbale

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bleen said:
Steve Jansen is one of my favorite drummers and this is just a perfectly understated use of Octobans as part of the rhythmic foundation of a song:

I'd love to hear others' favorite uses of Octobans!
Love me some Japan!

Last edited by a moderator:

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
beat me to it with Steve Jansen! One of my favs. His approach with Japan, and later was life changing for me.

Bruford w the Discipline Crimson as well.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lot of people don't like him. Mike Portnoy used the octobans pretty tasteful with Dream Theater.

My opinion, he made them more noticeable in the last 15-20 years as well.

spelman

Reaction score
All examples above are great!

For me: Simon Phillips, Bill Bruford and Tim Alexander.

Also Danny Carey's octoban samples with Tool. It is my understanding that he owns and sampled Cobham's old acrylic octobans.

jamesgdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Polska said:
I always liked how Bruford used them during the King Crimson "Discipline" era. Not sure if they were actual octobans or his own version of them, but he'd use them in place of a ride cymbal.
Love Bruford and love that album!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
+1 for Tim Herb Alexander on the Primus Seas of Cheese album.

stubility

Reaction score
All examples above are great!

For me: Simon Phillips, Bill Bruford and Tim Alexander.

Also Danny Carey's octoban samples with Tool. It is my understanding that he owns and sampled Cobham's old acrylic octobans.
I am lovin this thread!

I was wondering, what Tool tunes use octobans - even if they are samples? I have seen images of danny and octobans (below) but don't know what tunes they are on.

For my own contribution perhaps pink floyd's 'time,' and Dream Theater's 'Awake' although they have been mentioned many times, as has tim Alexander.

Image result for danny carey octoban

Last edited:

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am lovin this thread!

I was wondering, what Tool tunes use octobans - even if they are samples. I have seen images of danny and octobans but don't know what tunes they are
The long instrumental break on Rosetta Stoned features Octoban samples--or possibly real Octobans, not sure. That's the first one that comes to mind, but there are others.

Last edited:

mesazoo

Reaction score
I am lovin this thread!

I was wondering, what Tool tunes use octobans - even if they are samples? I have seen images of danny and octobans (below) but don't know what tunes they are on.

For my own contribution perhaps pink floyd's 'time,' and Dream Theater's 'Awake' although they have been mentioned many times, as has tim Alexander.

Image result for danny carey octoban
Time is a set of Roto Toms not octobans.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also a big Japan fan... not a lot of drummers can incorporate Octabons...including me....

Latest posts