Favorite Wooden Snare You Have Ever Played or Heard

Rick

Reaction score
Tama Starphonic Bubinga with a medium/high tuning. I use Aquarian Texture Coated for the batter and Aquarian Classic Clear snare side head for the reso. (Those are the only Aquarian heads I use on my kit.)

Tuning with the Tunebot, for this drum I like:
Fundamental pitch G/G#. Batter lugs are at 298hz and snare side lugs are at 398hz.

It does everything I play well. Very versatile... I play a lot of different styles of music in my regular gigs and it always measures up to everything I need it to do.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 14x8 Gretsch USA Custom snare is a lifetime keeper for me. Tons of tone from the deep shell, yet as sensitive/responsive as anything else I use.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers Powetone 14x5

Yamaha Maple Custom 14x 5.5 , 25th Anniversary model .

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Early 60’s 5x14 Slingerland artist solid maple. And what did I go and do.....sold it on eBay years ago.....and had the guy that brought it ask me why I sold it.....and told me over & over how it was the best snare he’d ever heard

Reaction score
I'll break it into two answers, one vintage and two new-er.
Vintage, a refinished (but all original parts) Cloud Badge 7" Radio King
IMG_0576.JPG

And a tie in the Modern Wood Faves, first my go-to 6" Longo Solid Walnut with a Trick 3 Point Strainer.
warwick 2015 side.jpg

And my 7x14 Noble and Cooley SS Maple.
IMG_0176.JPG

Nobody makes solid snares like Longo and Noble and Cooley!!!! NOBODY!

But oh those Brady's (4.5" Jarrah Ply, and 7x13" Sheoak Stave) and my Yamaha 8" Recording Custom are GREAT too. I have also really fallen in love with the Yamaha Bamboo, and the snare mechanism on the Pearl Orchestral, and my 4.5" Cherry Solid, and...
IMG_0872.JPG

But I don't buy and keep anything that isn't a favorite!
MSG

andlours

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of nice snares, but one of my all times favorites is a 6.5" x 13" Yamaha Musashi oak snare I got for $100. It makes no sense, but I like the yamaha better than the craviotto I owned.

dingaling

Reaction score
For pop: Eames 5.5x14 (12 ply)

For jazz: Sonor hilite 7.25x14

Overall: Sonor phonic 6.5x14

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know.... I have not found the "right" one! I've always been a metal snare guy (brass, copper, etc.) but I keep looking for the right wood drum. Right now I own 7 wood shelled snares with 2 more on the way and have owned countless other wood drums, but the perfect one has eluded me.

Right now this Acacia George Way is my favorite wood snare....

image009.png

Latest posts