Favorite Wooden Snare You Have Ever Played or Heard

Targalx

Reaction score
Mine isn't vintage or any kind of specialty drum maker. My favorite wood snare is (shockingly) NOT a Yamaha snare. One of the few non-Yamahas I have, and that I will not part with, which is a 1998 DW Satin Oil Maple 6x14 snare. It's a standard-issue DW wood snare that I bought brand new. I have used it on countless recordings and performances, and it's always my go-to for wood snares. (Photo is not my snare, it's from Reverb):

My second favorite is my Yamaha 8x14 Recording Custom piano black lacquer from the mid-1980s with the black plastic snare gate (photo also not my snare, also courtesy of Reverb):

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have many snare drums and was interested in knowing what you thought was the best wood snare you have ever played along with whatever heads. There is no time period on this so you can go back as far as you like.
I have wooden snares from the 30's. When I say "best" I am referring to warmth, response, whatever you feel makes a snare sound great.
My favorite is probably a Cleveland Rogers Dyna.

If you have more than one you can list them in order.
I have two faves; 30's RK and 20's Ludwig.
Both solid shell drums.
RK was 7" of pure Maple.
Ludwig was 5" of Honduran (or possibly Cuban) Mahogany.
Both sounded and played beautifully.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
My best is a Slingy Artist single ply 5.5X14. I have other good wood as well. A Montineri 5X14, a School Festival 6.5X14 and a Luddy standard 1940 7X14.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's the one you connect with on any given date and time and circumstance and period of time. You are an integral part the snare is probably less than 50% of it. Even after you find your favorite one.. They don't play themselves.

It's whatever achieves what you are attempting to achieve. You have to have that in your head first. Or discover that first. Settle on that first. Discover it the rest follows. You're putting the egg before the chicken or looking thru the wrong end of the telescope.

The drum is you. Minor differences in the drum are sorted out fairly easily and quickly. You are the drum first. If you happen to be not a very good drummer or not very-seriously into it (music)- you'll never find the drum.

It's as if the drum makes the sound and what the player does has absolutely no role what so ever in the final outcome. Or everyone here, just likes masterbaiting their favorites to every ones eyes .

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Craviotto snare drums. I have four. 6.5" Maple, 6.5" Birdseye Maple, 6.5" Euro Beech and 5.5" Mahogany. All 14" in diameter.

If I had to narrow it down I'd say:
#1 5.5 Mahogany [with my name on the inside!]
#2 6.5 Euro Beech or Birdseye Maple

Stretch

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So. Hard. To. Pick.

Off the top of my head, my 60's John Grey Broadway; 14x5, beech shell, no re-rings, 6 lugs, die cast hoops (different then modern versions, lower profile, they're in between normal die casts and triple flange, same on 60/70's Premier - love them).

I honestly believe the hoops are a big factor in the sound. I've owned many 6 lug, wood snares, and none have this sound. It has a wide tuning range, but I love it in the higher range, has a awesome 'pop'. I've tracked a lot with this snare. Engineers request it back, time and time again. Best part, got it for near nothing.

John Grey Snare.png

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
who can forget. Sum Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts