Favorite Wooden Snare You Have Ever Played or Heard

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So far the best sounding wooden snare that I've played personally doesn't belong to me but a fellow DFO member, Nacci. He was gracious enough to let me try it out for as long as I wanted and I put it through it's paces. This 14x8 Tama Mastercraft blew me away right out of the box and I'll never forget the sound of this 80's Birch shell. It's going to be hard to top this one for me.
IMAG1314.jpg

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easy answer. 1941 Ludwig & Ludwig in white lacquer. 7"X14" solid maple shell with maple re-rings. Gifted to me by my drum brother and fellow DFO'er, Renoroger. I'm a pop/rock guy and unfortunately the hardware on this drum isn't designed for that kind of impact. She comes out occasionally on sessions. My 1988 N&C SS Maple handles the dirty jobs where a deep, solid maple shell drum is necessary, but the Luddy is the one all others aspire to be.

whitey.jpg

Last edited:

m_anderson

Reaction score
Great thread! Lots of fantastic drums, and nice to see many favorites are vintage. Appears to me the Rogers Powertone is in the lead.

There's a reason I made this my avatar. 13x7 Starclassic Bubinga. I made an immediate lasting connection with this drum.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So. Hard. To. Pick.

Off the top of my head, my 60's John Grey Broadway; 14x5, beech shell, no re-rings, 6 lugs, die cast hoops (different then modern versions, lower profile, they're in between normal die casts and triple flange, same on 60/70's Premier - love them).

I honestly believe the hoops are a big factor in the sound. I've owned many 6 lug, wood snares, and none have this sound. It has a wide tuning range, but I love it in the higher range, has a awesome 'pop'. I've tracked a lot with this snare. Engineers request it back, time and time again. Best part, got it for near nothing.

View attachment 415425

Same as this one?

They don't look die cast, to me...

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Same as this one?

They don't look die cast, to me...
^that drum has flanged Stick Choppers -you can see that DB

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Black Label

Reaction score
My favourite is a 1947 Ludwig and Ludwig 14 x 6.5 snare that I recently scored. It looks a but grubby but I think it sounds damn fine. It is certainly my favourite (although I mainly own metal snares though)

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I don't generally gravitate towards wood snares nowadays. I had a Sonor Delite 14x6 in in natural Birdseye Maple though, which was lovely. No pics unfortunately. Curious about trying an 80s Tama Superstar or similar.

I tend to like a fair bit more of high-end definition in drums/cymbals nowadays - hopefully not a sign of lesser hearing!
I remember the monster Sabian ride that Joe Morello used towards the end of his career..

Alperen Alkan

Reaction score
Yamaha Birch Custom 14x5.5
It is really deep, full and sensitive for every stroke

Last edited: