Favorite Wooden Snare You Have Ever Played or Heard

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
One owned and one not owned:

My 5x14 2017 Classic Maple with a wrap to match my kit. Took me a while to dial this one in but with some Puresounds and a Vintage Ambassador and fiddling with higher tuning its voice was found. Articulate off center and a fat crack of a backbeat hit right in the middle. I also really like the solid feeling of the P88 throw.

Best wood snare that I don’t own was a 5x14 DW at a corporate store that won’t be named. I assume it was maple. I don’t know which series but it was a naked blond sort of oiled finish. Wonderful midrange pop with lovely tone and presence. An Ambassador batter and when I turned it over to the examine the reso and snare wires I was quite surprised to discover one tension rod missing. Not loose. Just completely gone! And yet the drum sounded fantastic.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
For me, it’s my Recording Custom birch 8x14 and my Gretsch Broadkaster 6.5x14. Pretty great wood snares! And yeah, my Rogers Powertone 5x14 is pretty fricken great as well.

05CEA664-D001-4CF7-9BC8-F23ECC53C8E8.jpeg
447DAC12-F8CF-4528-8B63-B2C97FBC2AC9.jpeg
569C57D3-B4FD-408D-AF44-7A38F4C75019.jpeg

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It used to be my Hayman Vibrasonic snare... a pleasant surprise when I bought my Hayman kit. A fabulous wood snare drum. I also have a couple of great sounding wood Gretsch snare drums.

View attachment 415416View attachment 415417

But my Rogers Powertone is the winner now :)

View attachment 415418
I'm really digging my Hayman Vibrasonic! Years ago I picked up a Ludwig Barrett Deems in BOP. I basically sold it the next day for financial reasons. I took it out for a gig that night before I mailed it the next day. Still kicking myself!

IMG_2664.jpg

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Noble & Cooley Nov 2019.JPG

Honestly, all three of the wood ones here are incredible (so is the alloy, but we're talking wood and unlike a lot of you jamokes I stay on-topic), but if I had to grab one drum and use it for the rest of my life it'd be the 14x7 SS Maple. But man, I could fall equally in love with any of those snare drums. I've been using the piccolo lately and wow-- just wow. My most recent acquisition is the walnut ply drum, and I'm kinda afraid to use it too much because then I'll get very attached to it. Do I really need to own this many wood drums? I know that I could safely take any of these drums on any gig at all and get a great sound, which is a remarkable thing for such a wide array of sizes and materials.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another one I love is the 14x7 Pork Pie Cherry Bubinga. It's one of the "woodiest" sounding drums I've played and sounds great tuned low and high. And they're screaming deals for around $200 on the used market.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have many snare drums and was interested in knowing what you thought was the best wood snare you have ever played along with whatever heads. There is no time period on this so you can go back as far as you like.
I have wooden snares from the 30's. When I say "best" I am referring to warmth, response, whatever you feel makes a snare sound great.
My favorite is probably a Cleveland Rogers Dyna.

If you have more than one you can list them in order.
I dont own any wooden snares but the favorite I've ever heard was the ludwig piccolo rocker elite. Rdavidr on YouTube restored on that was sent to him from a guy that found it in a dumpster and it sounds amazing. Just look up rdavidr on YouTube for it.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I came across a Gretsch Nashville once somewhere that was incredible. I'm in love with my Edge but that doesn't technically fit the criteria.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing crazy exotic, and I don't own one, but the Tama Star Reserve Bubinga was by far the best sounding wood snare I ever played/heard.

sammy123

Reaction score
Mapex Saturn

I was just thinking about this today. Picking from my snare drums I'd have to say the Mapex Saturn is the best I've heard. This snare drum just always sounds good to me. Maybe I just have the right combo of snares and heads tuned up perfectly. But I love it.

I have other news ones I like and it's possible once I get the right head combo on them that they could surpass the Saturn.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favourite snares in wood are..
Ludwig classic maple... 6.5x14" and my adored black panther " Memphis" model.. Which was a limited edition.. Maple/walnut/maple 7.8mm shell with cast hoops and i have never messed with anything on it.. How it came was as is and is total magic!!!

Attachments

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
My favourite snares in wood are..
Ludwig classic maple... 6.5x14" and my adored black panther " Memphis" model.. Which was a limited edition.. Maple/walnut/maple 7.8mm shell with cast hoops and i have never messed with anything on it.. How it came was as is and is total magic!!!
That Ludwig is super sexy. I would love to hear it. Very nice!