Favorite Zappa Album

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Current favorite is "One Size Fits All". I go through phases where I hone in on Bozzio, or Wackerman, or Colaiuta, or Humphrey... Lately it's been Thompson. That cat is BADASS!

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Desert island Zappa would have to be Hot Rats. Tougher call would be the next one on the list. Maybe Uncle Meat for the sheer variety. The Roxy/Road Tapes live material is great. Another compilation of live recordings that doesn't get mentioned as often is the excellent Imaginary Diseases featuring the "Petit Wazoo" lineup.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zappa was my musical & intellectual god when I was in my musically formative years. He was obviously a genius at all levels, even when difficult to fathom, and he stretched my mind in all directions and on all kinds of topics, musically and otherwise.

Like most others here, I can't narrow it down to just one: the ones that had the biggest impact on me were We're Only in It for the Money, Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie Sandwich, and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. On the "just for the fun" side it'd be Hot Rats, Chunga's Revenge, Just Another Band, Zoot Allures, Roxy (with the famous drum break that got Chester Thompson his gig with Genesis), and the specific songs Apostrophe & Tinseltown Rebellion.

When it came to percussion (drum set & orchestral), Zappa's music was always nifty, tough & bitchin' but the really great drumming didn't begin until Frank hired Anysley Dunbar - he was the first of the long line of great Zappa drummers/percussionists.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I already gave my thoughts on greatest album but I was listening to the soundtrack of 200 Motels (vinyl format) and I have to say there is some pretty amazing rock and roll being played on that album by Aynsley Dunbar. I'd say he may be one FZ's most underrated drummers. He may not have had Vinnie's chops but he brought taste and groove to that era.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I'm pretty partial to the Terry Bozzio era of Zappa with Adrian Belew. Sheik Yerbouti and Baby Snakes are what turned me on to Zappa when I was in HS. After that I really got into Weasels Ripped My Flesh and We're Only In it For the Money.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Waaaay too many to narrow down....what a body of work!!! Although there is a period that I did not quite enjoy FZ's recorded works at all.....the potty humour years....
My fav band is the Humphrey/Thompson/Underwood era as to me they were they tightest and the melodic percussion interplay is astounding....as is the stuff on Uncle Meat era bands....urghhh.!!!! Again too many....
Having said that I'm going to cheat and digress as this lot here cover a whole range of FZ.....it's one of my favs because there are no drums on it.....
This...Inca Roads....and Uncle Meat variations are....while I'm typing this anyway...my fav toons.....
bt

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Did you see the abruptly cut-short Blossom show? How about the next one, at the Front Row? I loved his stage setup concept there. No one else took as much advantage of the rotating round stage!!

I also saw him at Public Hall twice. Once with Bozzio and once with Vinnie.
Yes, I was at all those shows. Public Hall twice, The Richfield Coliseum (awful place for FZ), Blossom, The Front Row (fantastic show!), and his final performance in greater Cleveland at the Music Hall (behind Public Hall).

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I was at all those shows. Public Hall twice, The Richfield Coliseum (awful place for FZ), Blossom, The Front Row (fantastic show!), and his final performance in greater Cleveland at the Music Hall (behind Public Hall).
Well, now I feel like I must have seen you at least once! :)

That Front Row show was so cool. He really seemed to enjoy it.

I played the Music Hall stage (which is also the Public Hall stage) with my high school alumni band maybe 10 years ago - it felt so awesome to be on that stage!

Browny

Reaction score
I alternate... but it's probably out of Hot Rats, Bongo Fury, Overnite Sensation, Apostrophe, Grand Wazoo...

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Indeed, a special nod to Dunbar and his work on Apostrophe...also a cameo appearance on Cosmic Debris/Excentrifigul Force?? by the inimitable Jim Gordon!

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard indeed...

Probably "We're Only in it for the Money" because it was the first album I can remember hearing. Just a really "fun" album to listen to. Better than "Freak Out" and early enough that it wasn't over my head...at least at age 14. lol

Latest posts