Favorite Zappa Album

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard indeed...

Probably "We're Only in it for the Money" because it was the first album I can remember hearing. Just a really "fun" album to listen to. Better than "Freak Out" and early enough that it wasn't over my head...at least at age 14. lol
Those records probably made you a BETTER 14 year old! Think about it. Especially because that's the era when the spectrum of thought and personalities in his tunes was much more varied and interesting than it would become. And I loved the guy throughout his entire career.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
What's the least noodly-doodly album?
Reminds me of...

But if I were to honestly answer this I'd say listen to Zoot Allures. I love that album, and it is pretty much straight-ahead rock band format, but there are still some great Zappa instrumentals. Let us know what you think after you listen to it!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I could "Like" every single one of the posts in this thread. Well, except any talk of "noodly doodly and all that. One of his most under rated albums was one of his FU albums to Warner Brothers. Sleep Dirt has some incredible playing on it. I'm talking about the one he put entirely instrumental, not the one he released years later with vocals added back in. I don't care if he had originally intended to have the vocals in there, I much prefer that first rendition. Terry and Chester again pulling up the drum chair and doing it in classic fashion.

lamartee

Reaction score
Apostrophe'. If all Zappa had ever recorded was "St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast" and "Father O'Blivion" it would be enough to ensure his eternal greatness as a composer.
"....Where I 'stol the margereen....."

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No matter which studio album I listen to, I always fall back to his "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series. The editing and compiling the music of those discs is nothing short of genius level. Who else would think to record pretty much every live performance they gave, in crystal clear sound? Vol 1 is my all-time favorite, Vol 2 is a close second.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I could "Like" every single one of the posts in this thread. Well, except any talk of "noodly doodly and all that. One of his most under rated albums was one of his FU albums to Warner Brothers. Sleep Dirt has some incredible playing on it. I'm talking about the one he put entirely instrumental, not the one he released years later with vocals added back in. I don't care if he had originally intended to have the vocals in there, I much prefer that first rendition. Terry and Chester again pulling up the drum chair and doing it in classic fashion.
Completely agree. The vinyl is a masterpiece. Interestingly that's when he released Lather as an "Edison" bootleg, which had all of those albums (Studio Tan, Live In New York, Orchestral Favorites, and Sleep Dirt) in a boxed set apparently as he had intended to release it to WB, then went on a progressive California radio station and played all of it asking listeners to record it instead of buying the vinyl because they weren't paying him anyway. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Dirt

I can only imagine what would've happened if WB had actually released the 4 record set Läther. It is a true masterpiece epic work. I found a copy a few years ago, the order of songs is different and there are other takes, Warner edited Live in New York without Franks' permission, etc.

I also don't like the later CD version of Sleep Dirt with vocals added, although Zappa had Thana Harris put them on there, as they were part of an opera he wrote years earlier; I think they detract from the instrumental magic that was already there.

Supernoodle

Reaction score
Don't listen much to Zappa nowadays but loved him when i was younger. So many great albums and playing.

Put on his later "Civilization phase 3" about a month ago and found it quite an emotional ride that stayed with me for a few days.

Death, personal isolation, stupidly,modern civilization are just some of its hefty themes. I think he foresaw where humanity is hurtling towards and its not pretty.

The level of disgust and resignation towards humanity is really palpable on that one. That record gives me the shivers.

PS "Live in New York" and "make a jazz noise here" were also some of my favorites.
^Just got this. Thanks for mentioning it!
Zappa on Synclavier, recording some impossible-to-play music. E.g. CD 2 track 8, sounds like strumming on 20 strings...

The dialog in between is a continuation of Lumpy Gravy ("I remember when I was a.... no I don't remember") silliness, but the music is great and recorded in super quality.