Favourite Canadian drummers

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drumaniac said:
Ian,

I think Jeff Salem is playing in a Journey cover band.

Rick
Yes I talked to him a few weeks ago and he mentioned that. I was honored last year to be asked to judge the drum of with him at last years Rhythmfest in Barrie.
3rd or 4th time I have had time to hang with him for extended periods. Just an all round nice guy and very willing to share his passion and knowledge of drums and drumming. It was Jeff that introduced me to Dom Famularo

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
For the uninitiated... some Christian Dugas. This is his own band (Rudimental) when he was still a teenager. Groove to die for. Oh man does this guy drive the band! Super funky stuff! I listen to this when I'm in a bad mood and need a pick-me-up. This fixes my mood every time. Genius drummer with a raw yet simultaneously controlled and refined feel.

Rudimental (Live) - At The Factory
https://soundcloud.com/rudimentalwinnipeg

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
TDM said:
For the uninitiated... some Christian Dugas. This is his own band (Rudimental) when he was still a teenager. Groove to die for. Oh man does this guy drive the band! Super funky stuff! I listen to this when I'm in a bad mood and need a pick-me-up. This fixes my mood every time. Genius drummer with a raw yet simultaneously controlled and refined feel.

Listening to it now. Smokin, I figure Winnipeg bands are so good because they have 9 months a year to practice . Too cold for anything else :)
Seriously though TDM, great call. My kind of music and a fantastic drummer. Funky in the truest and best meaning of the word.

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
currently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Can
TDM said:

wow...that's some funky stuff to counteract the raw Winnibush taste in your mouth of Guess Who...thanks!

reminds me a little of Ego Spank

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jerry Mercer was mentioned earlier he retired from April Wine in 2009 and is now in his mid 70's.

Loved his work with Mashmakhan

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like mike sloski,
Gotta mention Gary Craig, and Rick Gratton.
I shared a rehearsal space with Troy Feener in the early 90's and he was / is a great drummer. He subbed alot of jobs for randy cooke back then.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
a few years ago, my friend adam hay arranged to have a picture taken of some of the drummers currently working in Toronto. it just so happens that a few of the drummers that have been mentioned in this thread are in the pic. see if you can spot them!

Attachments

• TO drummers.jpg
    TO drummers.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 32

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stan Perry ( longtime drummer with Phil Nimmons and my drum teacher)

Seppo Salminen owner if TRS drums and a fantastic player

Graham Lear of Santana fame

Charlie Cooley

Tyler Stewart ( Barenaked Ladies )

Johnny Fay (Tragically Hip)

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Voivod...

I'm trying to remember what I was doing when this thread was created.

My old pickup truck was brand new at the time and I think I was living in New Hampshire.

:p

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In no particular order:

- Chris Sutherland (Kim Mitchell, Sass Jordan, etc)
- Grant Taylor (The Salads)
- Ray Garraway-RIP (Salvador Dream, K-OS, etc) - Also a former teacher of mine. Huge influence on me.
- Jordan Pratt (Mystery Machine, Darkest of the Hillside Thickets)
- Dave Clark (Rheostatics)
- Skye Brooks (Veda Hille, Fond of Tigers, etc) - Also a friend since high school. I'm biased, but Ski is a great drummer (and singer).
- Nick Yacyshyn (SUMAC, Baptists, etc) - I've known Nick since he was 14 - awesome player. Dave Grohl even stated Nick was one of his favourite new drummers.

I know I'm forgetting others...

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clayton Hill (Trooper)
Garry Peterson (The Guess Who)
Skip Prokop (Lighthouse)
Robbie Bachman (Bachman Turner Overdrive)
Bobby Colomby (Blood Sweat and Tears)
Rick Belanger (Five Man Electrical Band)
Peter Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)