Favourite Canadian drummers

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Andrew Scott- Sloan = good feel
And Chris Murphy too!

Sloan....one very exceptional band/highly under-rated. 4 great singers/song-writers/multi-instrumentalists.

Aside from their style/flavor - I don't understand why this band isn't one of the biggest in the world. From a musician's point of view, they earn huge respects.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't possibly mention all the great drummers that are Canadian, but Jeremy Taggert is one that doesn't get mentioned enough and most people don't recognize his name.
Yeah, I am going to hear how he may not be as good as whoever your favorite drummer is, but he was solid.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun jamming to Guess Who tunes back in the day …..

And I still listen to April Wine on a regular basis .

Always enjoyed Triumph

And Rush were my total heroes .

I dig Canadian music a lot …

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I was glad to see Paul DeLong mentioned early on - love his work with The Code.

I didn't see Vito Rezza mentioned - phenomenal drummer with 5 After 4.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think some of the good and great Canadian drummers seem to fly under the radar.

I will start with a few names to get the ball rolling.

Neil Peart - Rush

Jerry Edmonton - Steppenwolf

Garry Peterson - The Guess Who

Graham Lear - Gino Vanelli, Santana. REO Speedwagon

Steve Negus - Saga

Randy Cooke - Lee Aaron, Ringos All Star Band, Alanis Morissette, Dave Stewart,Five for Fighting, Kelly Clarkson, Hilary Duff, Smash Mouth, Natasha Bedingfield, Ian Gillan, Pointer Sisters, Colbie Caillat, Mick Jagger, Ashley Tisdale, David Archuleta, The Veronicas, K'naan, Mandy Moore, and Taylor Hicks and lots of session work.

Jerry Mercer - Mashmakhan and April Wine.

Gil Moore - Triumph

Mark Kelso - http://groovydrums.com/about/resume/ played with many heavy hitters in all genres see resume.

Paul DeLong - Tom Scott, Domenic Troiano, David Blamires, Lawrence Gowan, Carlos Del Junco, Carol Welsman, Dave Restivo, Nick "Brownman" Ali, Colm Wilkinson, Doug Riley, Hilario Duran, David Clayton Thomas, Roger Hodgson

Paul Brochu - UZEB

Al Webster - Amanda Marshall, Colin James, Big Sugar, Zachary Richard, Long John Baldry, Jaco Pastorius, Robben Ford, Edgar Winter, Mavis Staples, Jim Belushi, Jeff Healey, Michelle Shocked Also on tours with Whitney Houston, Ja Rule, P. Diddy, Simply Red, Los Lobos, Lyle Lovett, B.B. King
For me its Murat without a doubt though I guess technically he can qualify as my favorite Turkish drummer too.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was glad to see Paul DeLong mentioned early on - love his work with The Code.

I didn't see Vito Rezza mentioned - phenomenal drummer with 5 After 4.
Paul is with Brass Transit now, touring all over. They are a Chicago clone band, hard to tell the difference!

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I caught Loverboy a while ago, and Matt Frenette blew me away, he kicked that band, super solid.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... this Zombie has been resurrected twice now!

Since I'm a pop player, I will put in Tyler Stewart from Barenaked Ladies!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think some of the good and great Canadian drummers seem to fly under the radar.

I will start with a few names to get the ball rolling.

Neil Peart - Rush

Jerry Edmonton - Steppenwolf

Garry Peterson - The Guess Who

Graham Lear - Gino Vanelli, Santana. REO Speedwagon

Steve Negus - Saga

Randy Cooke - Lee Aaron, Ringos All Star Band, Alanis Morissette, Dave Stewart,Five for Fighting, Kelly Clarkson, Hilary Duff, Smash Mouth, Natasha Bedingfield, Ian Gillan, Pointer Sisters, Colbie Caillat, Mick Jagger, Ashley Tisdale, David Archuleta, The Veronicas, K'naan, Mandy Moore, and Taylor Hicks and lots of session work.

Jerry Mercer - Mashmakhan and April Wine.

Gil Moore - Triumph

Mark Kelso - http://groovydrums.com/about/resume/ played with many heavy hitters in all genres see resume.

Paul DeLong - Tom Scott, Domenic Troiano, David Blamires, Lawrence Gowan, Carlos Del Junco, Carol Welsman, Dave Restivo, Nick "Brownman" Ali, Colm Wilkinson, Doug Riley, Hilario Duran, David Clayton Thomas, Roger Hodgson

Paul Brochu - UZEB

Al Webster - Amanda Marshall, Colin James, Big Sugar, Zachary Richard, Long John Baldry, Jaco Pastorius, Robben Ford, Edgar Winter, Mavis Staples, Jim Belushi, Jeff Healey, Michelle Shocked Also on tours with Whitney Houston, Ja Rule, P. Diddy, Simply Red, Los Lobos, Lyle Lovett, B.B. King
Garry Peterson is one of my favorite drummers of any genre. He uses his formidable skill to make beautifully tasteful music.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are tons of awesome, just blow your mind good, not widely known drummers in Montreal.

One of them is super soulful and funky Max Bellavance from The Brooks.

The guy played for years in A Sly & the Family Stone tribute band with one of my good friends. Man, the dude knows how to funk a place up....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Also Nova drummer Michael LaChapelle! I’m excited to see this 10-year-old thread hit 100 responses.

Last edited:

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, I will make it 100 responses and mention educators Roger Flock (preceded Mark Kelso at Toronto’s Humber college), and Jack Broumpton, (Cambrian College, Laurentian University), who I took lessons from long ago.

Since 1976 I’ve seen at least 15, (and met a couple) of the drummers mentioned in this thread,

looking forward to being impressed and entertained by the next generation…