FedEx billed me more than what they originally quoted!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this happen ever? I sold something and got a quote for $45.59. thru FedEx.com
I paid and printed the label and shipped it. Today I checked my bank account and FedEx charged me $104.49. They also sent me an email today saying that the rate changed because of pieces, weight etc.. compared to the original quote. It was 1 piece which I measured & weighed in order to get the original quote of $45.59. What the heck is this all about?
Anyone have this happen?
If FedEx doesn't refund me the difference, I've definitely lost money on this sale!

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I never use any method but to go into the store to ship. If you read there online fine print they reserve the right to up charge and because most people are not honest with weights and measurements they check every single package sent through online shippers. They round everything thing up to there favor. It may be a mistake or they may have rounded up putting it into an oversize category making the large price jump?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is why I never use any method but to go into the store to ship. If you read there online fine print they reserve the right to up charge and because most people are not honest with weights and measurements they check every single package sent through online shippers. They round everything thing up to there favor. It may be a mistake or they may have rounded up putting it into an oversize category making the large price jump?
It wasn't anything oversized. It was 2 cymbals in one box. And I was totally honest with the size and weight. This is not true!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone have this happen ever? I sold something and got a quote for $45.59. thru FedEx.com
I paid and printed the label and shipped it. Today I checked my bank account and FedEx charged me $104.49. They also sent me an email today saying that the rate changed because of pieces, weight etc.. compared to the original quote. It was 1 piece which I measured & weighed in order to get the original quote of $45.59. What the heck is this all about?
Anyone have this happen?
If FedEx doesn't refund me the difference, I've definitely lost money on this sale!
What was the size and weight of the package? What were the from and to zip codes? Was it being shipped to a residence?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a message for the grammar police:
Be nice and stop pointing those things out. Some people in our world actually have disabilities. Those people are entitled to use the forum as well and you are putting them down by doing that. You don't know if the incorrect writing was an error or a handicap on the part of the writer!
Be productive and focus on the topic instead!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From my experience FedEx does this more than UPS. I’ve had it happen 2-3x however the labels were through eBay and Reverb. I took my grievance to them and they made accommodations. As you may know, shipping companies use lasers to measure dimensions and have formulas to determine standard vs freight prices. My dilemma was similar in that a cymbal box got bumped into a freight category because of the formula they use. I believe the freight weight to size ratio/formula is available on their site.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
What was the size and weight of the package? What were the from and to zip codes? Was it being shipped to a residence?
All standard sizes, weights & zip. I've done this many times before and never had this issue. All standard stuff!

musicman64

Reaction score
Online pricing estimates/ and pre-paid labels are not " dimensionalized"...{ new screw you word for shipping companies}, because most shipping offices are franchises, not owned by the actual company. Therefore, they allow them to add whatever they want to your charge. I took a snare drum to ship, in the factory box it came in{ 16 x16 x6} at 12 lbs}, to all big 3 in my neighborhood. All were at least 20-40% above the online estimate. UPS was the worst, they dimensionalized my box to 22x 22x8, and up to 18 lbs, and said $88 { online estimate was $32 }..so as previous poster stated, take it in for a real cost estimate.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never do a pricing estimate, but rather build a shipment. Bring it to the end but stop short of processing and you will have accuracy. As someone mentioned, dim weight likely got you.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't anything oversized. It was 2 cymbals in one box. And I was totally honest with the size and weight. This is not true!

Two cymbals in one box should never ever cost $104! Even $45 sounds out of line. Yeah, something really went wrong here. Good luck...