FedEx billed me more than what they originally quoted!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Online pricing estimates/ and pre-paid labels are not " dimensionalized"...{ new screw you word for shipping companies}, because most shipping offices are franchises, not owned by the actual company. Therefore, they allow them to add whatever they want to your charge. I took a snare drum to ship, in the factory box it came in{ 16 x16 x6} at 12 lbs}, to all big 3 in my neighborhood. All were at least 20-40% above the online estimate. UPS was the worst, they dimensionalized my box to 22x 22x8, and up to 18 lbs, and said $88 { online estimate was $32 }..so as previous poster stated, take it in for a real cost estimate.
If you go to the ups or fedex.com web sites, the prices DO use dimensional weight. If you print the labels through them, or through PayPal or ebay, you usually will get billed the amount quoted. If you get a price quote from those sites but pay for it a pack and ship place or a ups store, you will always pay more. (You can drop your packages off there, but pay for and print your label beforehand.)
Correct measurements and shipping to a residence instead of a commercial building will affect price.
I bought a bunch of 22x22x4 boxes to ship cymbals, but the actual measurements are closer to 25x25x5. I got a couple up charges before I realized this.
BTW... UPS Stores are not UPS; they're franchises and usually overcharge for shipping, supplies and packing.

musicman64

Reaction score
That was/is just based on shipping experiences I had, in the small, retirement based town i live in { 22k..when snowbirds are here, half that now}. All the big shippers here add a bunch to the online quotes I get , every time. Even USPS. BUT, again, maybe it's just my location.

NewBeat

Reaction score
Whenever you have an account with the major shippers, the deal isn't final until they say it is, even when going through the physical shipping desk. You get a discount with an account, and that's at least partly the reason why.

I dispute dimensions with the FedEx people at the shipping desk all the time (which rarely if ever happens at USPS). If you cross the line into an oversized box, the price can skyrocket, but even an extra inch of height on a largish, square box can impact the price by several dollars or more.

There are many other factors which can affect pricing. For example, if you say (guess) the destination is a business and it turns out it isn't, FedEx will probably upcharge your account.

Another is what I call the "boondocks" charge. That's not it's real name, I can't recall what it is, but if the package needs to go into a remote area for delivery, there's an upcharge for that as well. You'd think this would be programmed into the pricing algorithm, but what they consider to be the boondocks changes from year to year. So, most of these remote destinations are coded, but not all of them.

I've been hit with both of these charges, but on the other hand, I've received credits for destinations that I assumed were residential that turned out to be a business address.

I recall phone disputing something with FedEx (weight, I think) that was easily rectified, as there was no way the box gained several pounds on its journey.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unless you shipped the cymbals in a refrigerator box, something is terribly wrong.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I've had this happen before, but with UPS. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that they randomly upcharge people and see if they complain about. If not, hey, free money.

I complained (after they put me through voice mail hell) both times and they said "Oh, this was a mistake" and took it off. I think it's a major scam.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never do a pricing estimate, but rather build a shipment. Bring it to the end but stop short of processing and you will have accuracy. As someone mentioned, dim weight likely got you.
I build the shipment before submitting. I've got a FedEx account. I doubt it's weight since I use a digital postal scale and I purposely always enter a couple of ounces above the actual weight.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Online pricing estimates/ and pre-paid labels are not " dimensionalized"...{ new screw you word for shipping companies}, because most shipping offices are franchises, not owned by the actual company. Therefore, they allow them to add whatever they want to your charge. I took a snare drum to ship, in the factory box it came in{ 16 x16 x6} at 12 lbs}, to all big 3 in my neighborhood. All were at least 20-40% above the online estimate. UPS was the worst, they dimensionalized my box to 22x 22x8, and up to 18 lbs, and said $88 { online estimate was $32 }..so as previous poster stated, take it in for a real cost estimate.
I used my Fed ex account, accurately measured & weighed it, printed my own label and dropped it off at a FedEx center. They even put it on the scale in front of me when they scanned the label and have me a receipt. Bottom line is that someone at FedEx screwed up!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whenever you have an account with the major shippers, the deal isn't final until they say it is, even when going through the physical shipping desk. You get a discount with an account, and that's at least partly the reason why.

I dispute dimensions with the FedEx people at the shipping desk all the time (which rarely if ever happens at USPS). If you cross the line into an oversized box, the price can skyrocket, but even an extra inch of height on a largish, square box can impact the price by several dollars or more.

There are many other factors which can affect pricing. For example, if you say (guess) the destination is a business and it turns out it isn't, FedEx will probably upcharge your account.

Another is what I call the "boondocks" charge. That's not it's real name, I can't recall what it is, but if the package needs to go into a remote area for delivery, there's an upcharge for that as well. You'd think this would be programmed into the pricing algorithm, but what they consider to be the boondocks changes from year to year. So, most of these remote destinations are coded, but not all of them.

I've been hit with both of these charges, but on the other hand, I've received credits for destinations that I assumed were residential that turned out to be a business address.

I recall phone disputing something with FedEx (weight, I think) that was easily rectified, as there was no way the box gained several pounds on its journey.
My measurements & weight were accurate and the thing was delivered to an apartment in Downtown Phoenix. No boondocks!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most effective thing besides getting your credit card co. involved is persistence. Or both. Call, call, call until they do something. Be ready to spend time waiting for them to make it right. They all have a point where they’re going to get fed up with a “problem” customer. Either that, or you get someone different the next time, who recognizes that you were ripped off and has the conscience and time to make it right. They almost always keep a case record of previous calls about the matter and the longer the list gets, the more likely they’ll want to see it taken care of.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
The most effective thing besides getting your credit card co. involved is persistence. Or both. Call, call, call until they do something. Be ready to spend time waiting for them to make it right. They all have a point where they’re going to get fed up with a “problem” customer. Either that, or you get someone different the next time, who recognizes that you were ripped off and has the conscience and time to make it right. They almost always keep a case record of previous calls about the matter and the longer the list gets, the more likely they’ll want to see it taken care of.
I just got off the phone with Fedex. I shipped 2 cymbals in a standard size box. The guy looked it up and he says that my 17 Lb. box got reweighed by them to 56 Lbs, HAHAHAHA!!
So they said they are filling out some credit form that has to be approved and that I should hear from them within 5 business days with the outcome. Whatever! We'll see what the end result is!

NewBeat

Reaction score
FedEx has a complicated query system online for shipper accounts. You can look up your last billed shipments and actually see what they're charging and why. It's all coded with abbreviations and whatnot, but at least one can determine what the deal is and go in armed ahead of time before picking up the phone to initiate a dispute.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Fedex. I shipped 2 cymbals in a standard size box. The guy looked it up and he says that my 17 Lb. box got reweighed by them to 56 Lbs, HAHAHAHA!!
So they said they are filling out some credit form that has to be approved and that I should hear from them within 5 business days with the outcome. Whatever! We'll see what the end result is!
You can dispute it with your CC co., and withdraw your dispute IF they timely credit your account.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent! You're probably getting the overcharge money back. What, did someone lean on the scale while they were weighing it? Sheesh.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow 56 pounds for two cymbals? No wonder you sold them manhole covers :) seriously hope you get it sorted out, sounds like someone didn't clear a scale before weighing a package, they should have double checked the weight before charging you, would assume most people can tell the difference between 17 and 56 pounds.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been told by both Fedex in store and Customer Service reps that the weight in store is nearly irrelevant because their numbers come from the laser and weight scan during the shipping process. I’ve had packages scanned in store without the scale for this reason. I requested they do it simply for a record to protect me. Of course the initial weight is important for managing truck weight when moving to the local distribution center yet they don’t seem to focus on that via front counter weight, especially during the holidays. When I’ve been erroneously charged it been because of the readings during the shipping process and not at the store.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent! You're probably getting the overcharge money back. What, did someone lean on the scale while they were weighing it? Sheesh.
I’ve been told by both Fedex in store and Customer Service reps that the weight in store is nearly irrelevant because their numbers come from the laser and weight scan during the shipping process. I’ve had packages scanned in store without the scale for this reason. I requested they do it simply for a record to protect me. Of course the initial weight is important for managing truck weight when moving to the local distribution center yet they don’t seem to focus on that via front counter weight, especially during the holidays. When I’ve been erroneously charged it been because of the readings during the shipping process and not at the store.
I guess the laser they used for my box wasn't very calibrated, LOL I dropped it off at a Fedex center and they reweighed it and I got a receipt same way that you've done. My home weight & Fedex centers weight at 17 lbs. vs. a possible laser at 56 lbs? Somethings wrong there and I've got the Fedex center supporting the 17 lbs. that I had weighed at home. This is Fedex ground though, I see Fedex express possibly using high tech laser equipment but Fedex ground? The Fedex ground service centers look very different than the ones from Fedex express. They look like they've got zero technology inside.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess the laser they used for my box wasn't very calibrated, LOL I dropped it off at a Fedex center and they reweighed it and I got a receipt same way that you've done. My home weight & Fedex centers weight at 17 lbs. vs. a possible laser at 56 lbs? Somethings wrong there and I've got the Fedex center supporting the 17 lbs. that I had weighed at home. This is Fedex ground though, I see Fedex express possibly using high tech laser equipment but Fedex ground? The Fedex ground service centers look very different than the ones from Fedex express. They look like they've got zero technology inside.
I gather the lasers are for dimensions and a typical scale is likely used for weight. The Rep created a visual as to indicate these measures are taken somewhere during the package movement on a conveyor belt. With that concept it’s entirely likely two packages would have slipped onto a scale or something like that. As a side, these boxes are actually handled by belts more so than humans so apparently companies find it humorous that we sometimes write “fragile” on a box as if someone actually has eyes on the package.