FedEx delivered my C&C kit to the wrong address! UPDATE: They found the kit but the bass drum is cracked

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dan, I’ll be interested to hear how you make out for the insurance claim.

My understanding is Fedex requires at least 3” of bubble wrap/peanuts around a loose object or 2” around a double boxed object. So if this was a 22” bass drum (about 24 actual inches) the box would need a 30” X 30” dimension if not double boxed, in which case 28” to make the insurance applicable. If the box is smaller they will likely dismiss the insurance claim.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We read these stories time and again which makes “ local pickup only” or “I’ll drive 200 miles...” more understandable. Obviously sometimes this is not possible. I shipped a drum to Finland last year. I was so nervous until the buyer had it in his hands. I really overpacked it but I had no idea what would be sufficient. I was glad when it arrived safely and the buyer was happy with the packing. I rarely ship things. I imagine if it was more frequent my luck wouldn’t be so great. Sorry that this had to happen to such a wonderful drum.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
What do y’all think the diminution of value amounts to?
A good outcome might be if that after contacting C&C with a link to this thread they said 'yes' to reusing the parts from the damaged BD and building the buyer another one to match. Whatever that cost is, and maybe a little something on top for the wait and inconvenience, seems fair.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe not all FedEx drivers are contract drivers. I think it's only FedEx Ground/Home delivery. The FedEx express drivers are actually FeEx employees. The ground guys just work for whomever owns the truck & route. I think that's the way it works. I get FedEx ground stuff all the time and the guy never knocks and throws the package wherever with no care at all. At least the UPS guy is usually the same person and he at least knocks and leaves my stuff in an inconspicuous spot in the front of the house. Anyways, sorry for the derailing. Back to talking about Dan's C&C kit!
I think your right, when working for the state, I helped on the the dock at times (I had previous experience from other jobs) and the FedEx driver was a contract driver at the time and he had two sons that subcontracted from him. But I'm not sure they were all contract and had a friend that worked in the warehouse for FedEx.

Dan, sorry for your misfortune, you keep after those guys and don't let them drop the ball.

sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new owner has said Tommy from Fibes can fix but will put in re rings for $550. A new bass drum is at least double that. We’ll see what FedEx says...BTW, he set them up and played them. He loves them!
That's good to here, if you go that route Tommy will do a good job. BTW: I purchased my Ludwig's from him.

sherm

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
And I see DanRH hasn’t commented on the packaging, but I’m sure he KNOWS how to pack a drumset. He’s sure done it enough!!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
The new owner has said Tommy from Fibes can fix but will put in re rings for $550. A new bass drum is at least double that. We’ll see what FedEx says...BTW, he set them up and played them. He loves them!
Dan did you box them up or did Fedex ?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I did. I wouldn’t trust FedEx.
The other question is did you you use new boxes or used ones.
My guess is the fact that you boxed them up, as well as they might be packed, fed ex will deny the claim.
Hopefully not, and if you boxed them up in used boxes, would probably seal the claim being denied.
Again hopefully not, any info from fed ex ?

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good practice to document the packing process well with pics to show the various layers of protection and adequate spacing from walls etc. Fed Ex might scrutinize the packing method details to deny a claim, so best to cover those bases well.

I had a kit from Jenkins-Martin/INDe that was handled very roughly by Fed Ex. Bent a tension rod on the bass drum, damaged a hoop and head - same with a floor tom. If the shells had not been J-M's spun glass, I'm certain shells would have been cracked.

I lost claim with Fed Ex years ago and it was costly. I hope Dan's claim goes well for him - I am aware he has a great reputation for packing well.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The other question is did you you use new boxes or used ones.
My guess is the fact that you boxed them up, as well as they might be packed, fed ex will deny the claim.
Hopefully not, and if you boxed them up in used boxes, would probably seal the claim being denied.
Again hopefully not, any info from fed ex ?
New FedEx boxes
5E2865C5-E069-4660-8F24-6ADEF868B8A5.jpeg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Also here’s the packing. This is the 16 nested in the 22. Five levels of cardboard on the bottom and bubble wrap so the shell isn’t touching the bottom of the box.
419714CC-55EA-4066-813F-1B8237EFB549.jpeg

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
New boxes, thats a good thing and clearly the box was biffed, hope it goes your way.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Not wanting to be difficult, and I hope everything turns out for the best, but I've never seen a new box look like this right after packing.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I box stuff up like they’re trying to break it, but halfheartedly. Nothing I can do to protect from a forklift spearing, or being backed over by a truck.
I think that's because, to modify box height, sometimes you have to cut at the edges and make new folds yourself, so not a factory fold.