FedEx delivered my C&C kit to the wrong address! UPDATE: They found the kit but the bass drum is cracked

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The other question is did you you use new boxes or used ones.
My guess is the fact that you boxed them up, as well as they might be packed, fed ex will deny the claim.
Hopefully not, and if you boxed them up in used boxes, would probably seal the claim being denied.
Again hopefully not, any info from fed ex ?
I would believe that from UPS. If you take something in there and they don't like the box, they won't even ship it. From there I took the same package to FedEx. They approved the box/packing shipped fully insured and here I am no worse the wear. I gained a happy recipient, and repeat buyer, as well.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I think that's because, to modify box height, sometimes you have to cut at the edges and make new folds yourself, so not a factory fold.
You are correct sir, I modified the 28x28x28 to 28x28x22.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good luck, Dan! I hope it works out. I'm sure you know how to pack a box, having boxed and unboxed so many over the years.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I should clarify that I'm not calling the OP a liar. I just don't see a new box when I look at that picture, so maybe it's my old eyes with the problem. I haven't shipped all that much, but I do know what a brand new box looks like because that's what I began using after Fedex wouldn't insure one of my packages because the box wasn't new. The agent explained that stored boxes soften as they age, usually from ambient moisture, and especially the edges. And as this occurs the level of protection they provide diminishes.

This is a crisp new box:

If you look at the slightly enlarged screen grabs of the boxes used to ship the drum you'll notice a few things not on the new box, such as striations in the cardboard that don't normally appear after a single shipment with a new box. but do after a few shipments or storage. There's also water staining along the bottom, with soft, ragged tearing indicative of such damage, where the unwrapped floor tom legs are poking through. I can't speak definitively to whether those are witness marks of old removed tape, but it looks like it. To me, and I'm not a box expert, this doesn't present anything like a new box (as pictured above), and I'm only pointing this out because Fedex will surely see the same things.

However, if the claim is denied and the agent at Fedex didn't advise the OP that the box wouldn't qualify for a claim, then a good deal of fault is on the agent for allowing a relatively large insurance amount on a used box when their policy - from what I was told - only covers new boxes on insured items.

From Fedex (link): https://www.fedex.com/downloads/shared/packagingtips/howtopack.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

mesazoo

Reaction score
I should clarify that I'm not calling the OP a liar. I just don't see a new box when I look at that picture, so maybe it's my old eyes with the problem. I haven't shipped all that much, but I do know what a brand new box looks like because that's what I began using after Fedex wouldn't insure one of my packages because the box wasn't new. The agent explained that stored boxes soften as they age, usually from ambient moisture, and especially the edges. And as this occurs the level of protection they provide diminishes.

This is a crisp new box:

If you look at the slightly enlarged screen grabs of the boxes used to ship the drum you'll notice a few things not on the new box, such as striations in the cardboard that don't normally appear after a single shipment with a new box. but do after a few shipments or storage. There's also water staining along the bottom, with soft, ragged tearing indicative of such damage, where the unwrapped floor tom legs are poking through. I can't speak definitively to whether those are witness marks of old removed tape, but it looks like it. To me, and I'm not a box expert, this doesn't present anything like a new box (as pictured above), and I'm only pointing this out because Fedex will surely see the same things.

However, if the claim is denied and the agent at Fedex didn't advise the OP that the box wouldn't qualify for a claim, then a good deal of fault is on the agent for allowing a relatively large insurance amount on a used box when their policy - from what I was told - only covers new boxes on insured items.

From Fedex (link): https://www.fedex.com/downloads/shared/packagingtips/howtopack.pdf
He already said he trimmed a new box to reduce the dim weight. Good thinking on his part.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
He already said he trimmed a new box to reduce the dim weight. Good thinking on his part.
Yup. $16 for two new FedEx Boxes. 28x28x28 and a 20x20x20. Done this before, many times. I could have gotten the 24x24x24, but that would’ve been a very tight fit. And I had six inches of extra box at the top. I always cut it down because it’s easier to move and I save a bit in shipping. The 12 and 13 went into the 20” box. After all that and setting the value at $2500 for both boxes, shipping was $241 from SF Bay Area to San Antonio.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is interesting how the discussions in this thread quickly went from a "lost" set, to a damaged set, to a didn't package it correctly.

Man, the guys sells lots of drums here with no issues I've seen and now he is needing to defend himself when it looks to me like FedEx is at fault.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is interesting how the discussions in this thread quickly went from a "lost" set, to a damaged set, to a didn't package it correctly.

Man, the guys sells lots of drums here with no issues I've seen and now he is needing to defend himself when it looks to me like FedEx is at fault.
It does seem that way, but I don't think they are blaming Dan, FedEx clearly did the damage, they are just offering up speculation for why FedEx could try to deny the claim...because they will probably try.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I will say in my discussions with FedEx (quite a few over the last couple of days) is that they are ready and willing process the claim. The only thing I’m waiting on is the estimate on a new bass drum from CandC. I’ve even offered to the buyer, I’ll take the drums back but he needs to pay shipping. I just want this done.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
It does seem that way, but I don't think they are blaming Dan, FedEx clearly did the damage, they are just offering up speculation for why FedEx could try to deny the claim...because they will probably try.
+1 on this, Fed ex, UPS etc will do anything to deny a claim.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reading this thread has me nervous now. I'm picking up my new 13" Classic Maple tom this afternoon after work from UPS. I hope it's OK! It's coming from the factory in it's factory box so it should be OK. Either way, I get scared! If it's damaged, it would be another almost 2 months of wait time to get one built.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I worked for a packaging company for many years, and the design department had a whole series of torture tests that boxes had to pass in order to be certified.

Drop tests, puncture tests, shake tests, ect.

There is a whole world out there in regards to packaging design. Me? I just handled the quotes.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, I’m giving the guy a refund and he’s shipping them back. I’m ok with that. I’m dealing with FedEx. Oh, the new bass drum will be $1363.

It’s just been a bad experience all around but out all of the shipping I’ve done, this is only the second claim I’ve put in. Not bad really.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Ugh, sorry Dan!

In my decade of drum building, we switched between UPS and FedEx a few times. No matter what, we'd end up with at least one or two broken kick drums each year. We refined our packing method as much as practically possible, but they'd manage to destroy them.

In my recollection, FedEx put a lot more effort into inspecting boxes and trying to find a reason to deny the claim, whereas UPS would generally just pay it. This was a few years back and for a commercial account, and I don't know how their policies have evolved since then.

Latest posts