Feeling Toward Red Sparkle Drums!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
What is your feeling toward red sparkle kits? Vintage specifically.
My first kit was a beat up Pearl President in Red sparkle and it was my cousin’s initially, sitting in the corner of his room, every time I looked at it I wish it was mine until it was :) my dad bought it for me from my cousin. So, maybe those good memories stayed with me, every time I see a vintage red sparkle kit it catches my attention but I can’t imagine picking up a red kit now, will probably prefer BDP, piano black, natural satin, silver sparkle, gold sparkle, etc. but why??? Recently I was at a bar with a 70’s rock n roll vibe and the drums on stage was a 60’s red sparkle Slingerland kit, really caught my eye. Another time, I walked into GC And saw a player grade red sparkle Rogers kit that I couldn’t stop looking at. Same thing happened another time when I walked into pro drum shop in hollywood, a nice set of rogers.
Even Jeff Hamilton’s first kit was red sparkle and he named one of his albums “red sparkle” just for that but I have never seen him play a red sparkle kit.
is it me or certain vintage looking red sparkle kits look great? Will you consider buying a red sparkle kit? Not all red sparkles look nice to me, like I really don’t care about modern red sparkle kits and also some vintage ones like red sparkle vintage Club dates, kind of bright and too red to me! Is it that darker vintage looking red sparkle wrap doing the trick?

plz don’t count how many times I said “red sparkle” haha

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes sir! My first vintage Gretsch kit round badge 12/14/20 with a matching 16x16 "bass" (FT conversion) and 5x14 and 6.5x14 snares!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some red sparkle 69 Ludwigs that I absolutely love everything about. They get more stage time than any of my other drums. Just beautiful on stage and they've got such a nice sound. I think the great sound is mostly due to the fact that they're red sparkle.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love red sparkle, especially on vintage Rogers and Premier kits. For some reason they just look better to me in that finish than other brands do.
One kit I should never have sold was my red sparkle Rogers. Those drums had it all, both in the sound and the looks department. I still have the Luxor snare I bought to match them, and it's always been my go-to snare for anything from mellow singer/songwriter type stuff to hard rock. Sort of the Precision Bass of snare drums..

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As many may already know the color red can be particularly attractive to humans (unless you’re colorblind I suppose). I think vintage red sparkle is very attractive under stage lighting. Of course, with my first set being a ‘65 Red Sparkle Club Date, that I purchased for $15, I presume I’m biased.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
my 1st set was Red Sparkle Black Jacks.

A few years back I bought off Ebay Red Glass Glitter Walberg and Auge 24" Bass and 15" tom. Amazingly my friend who sells parts/drums as a side biz had a 13" tom.

I was never a Red fan but the glass is amazing...and I think Red Glass Glitter would be an excellent name for a band.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I loved my Tama Starclassic Performers... with Red Sparkle Fade finish! The sizes and birch were just not for me... but the finish was flawless and beautiful. I still don't understand how they faded the red sparkles ON TOP OF the piano black finish. Most drum companies lay their sparkles FIRST, then spray a black fade on top, leaving many sparkles in the middle DULL.

Attachments

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first "real" kit was a very early 60s Red Sparkle Ludwig SuperClassic. It was taken while I was in the military. I had missed it for quite a few years while playing other kits. I eventually picked up another 60s red sparkle Ludwig SuperClassic.

I wanted to have personal experience with the Ludwig glitter and the Rogers glass wraps so I picked up a Rogers kit.
I must admit, I prefer the Rogers glass version of the wrap.

IMG_2657.jpg

Last edited:

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my 1st set was Red Sparkle Black Jacks.

A few years back I bought off Ebay Red Glass Glitter Walberg and Auge 24" Bass and 15" tom. Amazingly my friend who sells parts/drums as a side biz had a 13" tom.

I was never a Red fan but the glass is amazing...and I think Red Glass Glitter would be an excellent name for a band.
funny, my first kit was a red sparkle black jack as well. wish I had a pic of them, but I recently found the original receipt my mom had saved it

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I think it is the Red glass glitter that stands out, my kit was also glass glitter and they tend to be a little darker and deeper color than the sparkles and are more likely to develop black spots on the finish over time, right?

Latest posts