Feeling Toward Red Sparkle Drums!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMHO....

My first love is Gretch Renown in Blue Sparkle along with TAMA Silverstar Blue Sparkle.

Then the TAMA Starclassic performer B/B red sparkle along with Mapex Saturns red sparkle are awesome along with the vintage Ludwigs.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I also do think that Roger’s red glass glitter is different in a good way than other brands. Same with blue glass glitter.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought everybody's first kit had to be red sparkle. :)

I love red sparkle. Glass glitter, it depends cuz I've seen some good and some bad.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I always preferred Rogers glass glitter wraps to other brands' sparkle wraps. The glass glitter wraps had actual shards of glass embedded in a black substrate. The others used bits of foil embedded in a white substrate.
Mostly, the other brands except Ludwig used the same "glass glitter" as Rogers. Slingerland and Gretsch's red sparkle was the same as Rogers most of the time. Ludwig in the '60s and '70s always used the foil type.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I also do think that Roger’s red glass glitter is different in a good way than other brands. Same with blue glass glitter.
Same as Slingerland and Gretsch most of the time. Slingerland had darker blues most of the time until the early '70s, but it was usually the glitter type.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Same as Slingerland and Gretsch most of the time. Slingerland had darker blues most of the time until the early '70s, but it was usually the glitter type.
True, the glitter on rogers, slingy and Gretsch are different. Ohhh 60’s Premiers too.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Red or blue sparkle are equally sexy. Go figure, my Yammys are natural. Several years back, tried to buy a set of blue sparkle Yammys off a guy who I think is a member here and just couldn't quite get to a price we could both live with...the one that got away.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Late 60’s Ludwig Classics with matching Jazz Festival snare....now sold and in the wild. A year after I sold them to an individual, I saw them at the 2017 Chicago show. I recognized the splash cymbal mount that I had added. From 10 feet away, I said to the seller, “I see the bearing edges on the snare have been re-cut.” His jaw dropped! Pretty good eyesight, huh?

FFED0C6E-3AC0-423D-9A23-627768654835.jpeg

LBCD

Reaction score
My first kit was a Pearl red sparkle kit, 22,16,14,12 back in the late 70's. I still find myself looking for one here and there...someday!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I was a kid I wasn't a fan. Not because they didn't look nice but because the Sears/J.C. Penney/Montgomery Wards/etc. sets were all red or blue sparkle and I was of the opinion that if I had a set in either of those colors people might confuse my "good" drums with one of those sets.

I now have two red sparkle sets and one Blue sparkle set. They are beautiful and so I guess I'm over all that now.

blue.jpg
033.JPG
DSCN38183724DSCN3818.JPG

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Red sparkle always struck me as too gaudy. Compared to some of the hideous colors today, I'd take a red sparkle, but I'd prefer to avoid it. They can look sharp, but I prefer something slightly more subdued--like blue sparkle!

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Love my 20 year old Pearl Exports wrapped in red Sparkle :) 22x16,13x9,16x16,snares 76supra LM402 or my new 14x5.5 Acrolite black galaxy depending on mood.
20200321_140745.jpg