Feeling Toward Red Sparkle Drums!

chollyred

Reaction score
I love most glitter drums, but have a particular fondness for red and orange. I supposed because my fist drum was an orange glitter Kent snare, and my first kit was red. Here recently, I was looking to buy a 7 piece, and one of the big box stores had a Tama Superstar Classic in blue sparkle in an open-box deal that I almost bought. This past week, someone had the same kit in orange sparkle. If I had the cash, I'd buy it in a heartbeat (I don't finance anything).

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty awesome, but red sparkle isn’t loud enough for me...;)

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
heres my feeling towards red sparkle .... it's way nicer than blue or green sparkle
but it's not in the same league as champagne sparkle imho ....

Alwaysgretsch

Reaction score
What is your feeling toward red sparkle kits? Vintage specifically.
My first kit was a beat up Pearl President in Red sparkle and it was my cousin’s initially, sitting in the corner of his room, every time I looked at it I wish it was mine until it was :) my dad bought it for me from my cousin. So, maybe those good memories stayed with me, every time I see a vintage red sparkle kit it catches my attention but I can’t imagine picking up a red kit now, will probably prefer BDP, piano black, natural satin, silver sparkle, gold sparkle, etc. but why??? Recently I was at a bar with a 70’s rock n roll vibe and the drums on stage was a 60’s red sparkle Slingerland kit, really caught my eye. Another time, I walked into GC And saw a player grade red sparkle Rogers kit that I couldn’t stop looking at. Same thing happened another time when I walked into pro drum shop in hollywood, a nice set of rogers.
Even Jeff Hamilton’s first kit was red sparkle and he named one of his albums “red sparkle” just for that but I have never seen him play a red sparkle kit.
is it me or certain vintage looking red sparkle kits look great? Will you consider buying a red sparkle kit? Not all red sparkles look nice to me, like I really don’t care about modern red sparkle kits and also some vintage ones like red sparkle vintage Club dates, kind of bright and too red to me! Is it that darker vintage looking red sparkle wrap doing the trick?

plz don’t count how many times I said “red sparkle” haha

Alwaysgretsch

Reaction score
I LOVE Red Sparkle (and glitter) drums!
I currently don’t own any, but have had vintage Rogers and Gretsch in that finish. Maybe when things turn around, I’ll order a kit in that finish!

kzac

Reaction score
My first kit was a beat up Pearl President in Red sparkle and it was my cousin’s initially, sitting in the corner of his room, every time I looked at it I wish it was mine until it was :) my dad bought it for me from my cousin. So, maybe those good memories stayed with me, every time I see a vintage red sparkle kit it catches my attention but I can’t imagine picking up a red kit now, will probably prefer BDP, piano black, natural satin, silver sparkle, gold sparkle, etc. but why??? Recently I was at a bar with a 70’s rock n roll vibe and the drums on stage was a 60’s red sparkle Slingerland kit, really caught my eye. Another time, I walked into GC And saw a player grade red sparkle Rogers kit that I couldn’t stop looking at. Same thing happened another time when I walked into pro drum shop in hollywood, a nice set of rogers.
Even Jeff Hamilton’s first kit was red sparkle and he named one of his albums “red sparkle” just for that but I have never seen him play a red sparkle kit.
is it me or certain vintage looking red sparkle kits look great? Will you consider buying a red sparkle kit? Not all red sparkles look nice to me, like I really don’t care about modern red sparkle kits and also some vintage ones like red sparkle vintage Club dates, kind of bright and too red to me! Is it that darker vintage looking red sparkle wrap doing the trick?

Two trains of thought,
1) If the only kit one has available is red sparkle ... then so be it ... bang away
2) Color is a personal preference, they make wraps of one does not like red ... so its a completely curable condition

troymiller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been playing for 42+ years... and I have a LOT of vintage kits... (it's not 'hoarding' if your stuff is cool!)… and I LITERALLY picked up my very first red sparkle kit about 2 months ago. Pal of mine owns a music store. I walked in, and he said "I'm glad you're here - I was going to call you..." - he picked up a 60's RB Gretsch Name Band in FANTASTIC shape (tho EXTREMELY dirty) as part of a larger deal, and he didn't want to mess with the cleanup and flip - so he made me a deal that I couldn't refuse.

I've always dug vintage red sparkle. Anxious to get this one cleaned up and play 'er out.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I was trying for almost a year to think of a color to get a new kit in that I wouldn't get sick of.
I was sitting in the seating area of a venue I had a show at, and happened to look up just as someone was pulling a Red Sparkle bass drum out of a case.
WOW!! THAT'S IT!!!

That was in 2007, and I haven't gotten tired of it, or wanted to change it :)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

Modern Drummer once did an interview of Greg Hutchinson (Fed. 2000?) and he was pictured with a red sparkle Yamaha Maple Custom kit.
I'm not the biggest fan of red sparkle, but that was one of the most gorgeous kits I think I've ever seen.
...and, FWIW, my first kit was red sparkle, too. =)

MyFirstKit_ExactlyLikeIt_002.jpg

(not my actual first kit, but one I saw recently that is very very close)

Elvis

Last edited:

Monday317

Reaction score
Jazzhead, I am not psychiatrist, though I visit them regularly as part of my parole...

You obviously suffer from Red Sparkle Mania as a result of your childhood trauma. Since there’s no cure, my suggestion is to go for a red sparkle kit.

If you have a decent set now, re-wrapping is easy, though a bit of a chore. It has its pluses though:
  • You can probably find exactly what will work for you online.
  • Since you have to disassemble the drums anyway, it’s a fine time to get your bearing edges re-cut which is a must for most of us and will improve the sound of your drums.
  • It’ll be a good time to clean up your lugs, if they are looking ratty (Nevr Dull is superb at this task). Last time I went through this, I bought all new lugs to make my Frankenstein kit look like it came from the same place.
  • The biggest reason of all is the ecstasy you are going to have the coolest kit ever!!

If you don’t have a kit right now, my $0.02 USD is to snag a Pearl Export kit made 2000-2004: the best bang for the buck available in my experience. I could be a happy camper should someone hand one over in red sparkle—or any finish. There’s some deep red sparkle and glass glitter available that just smokes!

Enjoy. Time for another electroshock treatment...

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Jazzhead, I am not psychiatrist, though I visit them regularly as part of my parole...

You obviously suffer from Red Sparkle Mania as a result of your childhood trauma. Since there’s no cure, my suggestion is to go for a red sparkle kit.
This cracked me up LOLOL
The thing is that vintage red glass glitter turns my head for sure but with all the options out there I don’t think I will buy a red kit now and I wonder why.

by the way, why so many people’s first kit was red sparkle, interesting!

robbie

Reaction score
I have to admit I'm just not a fan of the color red for much of anything, save for flowers but, that said, I remember Don Brewer's red sparkle Ludwigs at a Grand Funk concert back in the 70's. And more recently, at a Chad Wackerman clinic at UNT in Denton, Texas. Red sparkle DW's with gold hardware. Stunning. Really gorgeous.

The previous pictures of Rodgers red sparkle are really nice, as well, and I guess that is just because of the feeling I have for Rodgers drums since I was a kid. I never owned any but, I always loved their look; the lugs, hardware and all. They were just too pricey back then compared to Ludwig (and Slingerland).
I saw Don Brewer playing a red sparkle kit with Grand Funk at a festival in West Palm Beach back then. At the time they were the most stunning set of drums I'd ever seen on stage...although I can't be sure if it was the lighting or the chemicals I might have ingested that made the difference

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
This cracked me up LOLOL
The thing is that vintage red glass glitter turns my head for sure but with all the options out there I don’t think I will buy a red kit now and I wonder why.

by the way, why so many people’s first kit was red sparkle, interesting!
In my case, it was what it was.
Saw an ad in the paper. Guy only asked $110.
For what I was seeing for sale at the time, that was a bargain!
Went to his house and saw the kit.
Had NO idea what I was doing but it looked complete and appeared to be in good shape.
I talked him down to $90 and it was mine.
In the end, they were a great set of drums. No badge MIJ, probably from the mid 60's.
20/12/14. Came with a 14" Pearl brand "cymbal". Heavy pressed piece of soft metal, whatever metal that was (probably Brass).
Drums were extremely thin shells. Edge was a big 45 on the inside (created from the ring), while the outside was a slight rounded chamfer (the shell itself).
Threw a set of coated Ambassadors all over the kit and it sounded great.

Elvis

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of red sparkle drum wraps. I'd say the only two wraps that I like are what I have on my drums, white marine pearl and one I don't have but would be proud to have which is yellow, as in Tony Williams yellow. Otherwise I prefer my drums to be various shades of natural wood grain.

Latest posts