Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I picked up an Epi EB-O bass cheap about five months ago when I was looking to learn how to play. It's a decent little bass but being single pickup is somewhat limited. I've learned my scales, octaves and triads and would like to learn a little of the slap and pop style. On the Epi I can pop but slapping ain't gonna happen.
As I'm a drummer first and foremost, I don't want to sink a ton of money into a bass. I've always liked the looks and sound of the Fender Jazz, but am not interested in dropping a bunch of money on a US made one when chances are I'll only play occasionally at church, if that.
I've heard good things about the Squier Vintage Modified series and wondered if anyone here owns and plays a Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision. If so, what do you think of it. Worth the coin?

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is a bass player and owns a few of the Squier basses. I think he owns a precision and a jazz bass. He raves all the time about how easy they are to play. He owns several American Fender basses, and a Rick. He almost never plays them and always uses the Squier basses. :dontknow:

As far as a hands on comment, I've monkeyed around with a few of his basses and they all play great. They have a great sound too but I think it may be that he just owns nice amps as well.

groooooove

Reaction score
Luddite said:
I picked up an Epi EB-O bass cheap about five months ago when I was looking to learn how to play. It's a decent little bass but being single pickup is somewhat limited. I've learned my scales, octaves and triads and would like to learn a little of the slap and pop style. On the Epi I can pop but slapping ain't gonna happen.
As I'm a drummer first and foremost, I don't want to sink a ton of money into a bass. I've always liked the looks and sound of the Fender Jazz, but am not interested in dropping a bunch of money on a US made one when chances are I'll only play occasionally at church, if that.
I've heard good things about the Squier Vintage Modified series and wondered if anyone here owns and plays a Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision. If so, what do you think of it. Worth the coin?
i am first and foremost a bass player, so i feel obligated to answer.

they're very, very good for the money. i know pros that keep them on hand in their teaching studio, or bring them to gigs as backup. get a used one on ebay or your local CL and you'll be thrilled. the only other cheap basses i recommend are SX- but those can have their issues. squire VM series is the way to go.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried one of the SVM Jazz basses out Friday---I liked the way it played, the sound was a bit harsh after playing flat wounds the last couple of months but I didn't play around with the amp that I used as time was limited. A local Mom n Pop that an old band buddy of mine works at part time carries Fender---I'll have to see if they have one of the P-basses and check those out.

R

RickP

I picked up one of these basses when I decided to start picking up the bass. I have loaned it out a few times to experienced bass players and they have universally sung it's praises. These are great basses for the money that sound great and are easy to play.

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
I've had a Tele and Strat and loved them both. The Strat was killer and better then my Mexian Strat. Sorry I don't have experiance with either of the bases. But I would have to imagin that they are worth the money.