Fiberglass Drum Sticks

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today some of us have talked about drum heads and sticks from years ago. And that reminded me of Fiberglass drum sticks back in the mid 60's. I was in High School then and our band leader had us, give them a try. I don't remember the brand name but seemed to play well for marching sticks but they were a little heavy. BUT DON'T try playing rim shots. LOL It didn't take us long to break all we had. When I broke the first one I took it to the band leader and said, don't any more of these and we both laughed. They were actually a little dangerous to handle when broken because they splintered into a cazillion real fine glass fibers. LOL

Anyone here have any experience with them?

sherm

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They only synthetic drumsticks I really liked were the Duraline drumsticks . They could really take a beating and they felt pretty good too . They were made from Kevlar if ai recall correctly . The company also had a line of drumheads what were woven Kevlar and could even be played with a hole in the heads . At least that was part of their advertising .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a horrible idea
Lot's of horrible ideas back then. I can't imagine how much lead and asbestos we ingested while growing up. Were lucky to still be alive! Might as well have made the drumsticks out of pure glass! Here are a couple that were probably sold in the same stores as the fiberglass drumsticks:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
They only synthetic drumsticks I really liked were the Duraline drumsticks . They could really take a beating and they felt pretty good too . They were made from Kevlar if ai recall correctly . The company also had a line of drumheads what were woven Kevlar and could even be played with a hole in the heads . At least that was part of their advertising .
I had a pair of Duralines. I never could get used to them and I'm sure I eventually threw them in the trash. A local drumstore where I lived had them loose in a box next to the register when they got discontinued (I believe around 2000). I remember seeing them there for over a year. Nobody would buy them even though they were practically free at that point. I should have bought them all just for the heck of it, Lol!!
They also made some weird kevlar drumheads but I never dared to try them.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lot's of horrible ideas back then. I can't imagine how much lead and asbestos we ingested while growing up. Were lucky to still be alive! Might as well have made the drumsticks out of pure glass! Here are a couple that were probably sold in the same stores as the fiberglass drumsticks:
I remember the Yard Darts but never owned a set. They were outlawed I believe and I seem to remember one or more young children were injured or died, I'm not sure in the US back then. Bet they were fun though.

I always wanted chemistry set but my mother wouldn't allow it. LOL

sherm

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember the Yard Darts but never owned a set. They were outlawed I believe and I seem to remember one or more young children were injured or died, I'm not sure in the US back then. Bet they were fun though.

I always wanted chemistry set but my mother wouldn't allow it. LOL

sherm
We played with lawn darts. Apparently here in Florida they weren't outlawed or who knows, maybe we had an old set. That was back in the late 70's. Luckily we never hurt ourselves. It went hand in hand with the black giant garbage bags that we would set on the gravel ground and sprayed with the water hose in order to recreate a makeshift Slip & Slide. More than once we had bags break and my skin of course contacted the gravel at high speed, LOL!! Fun times!

Latest posts