Fiberglass drums

Drumbuilder123

Reaction score
Question for Billy Goodness, I know for a long time you used fiberglass drums. Why are you not using them now?
Would you ever consider using them again? Are they better for studio use or live?
Thank You
Lane

Reaction score
Hey Lane,

You're right. I played both fiberglass and carbon fiber drums made by Tempus Instruments for many years - both live and in the studio.
During that time I also played a lot of wood-shelled drums that were resident studio sets. To be honest, I like them both.

I no longer own any of my Tempus drums and have been a DW endorse for many years now.

I do own a set of Jenkins-Martin drums that I play from time to time.

Are you considering fiberglass drums? If yes, and you've never played fiberglass drums before, you may find that they are not as sonically different from wood shells as you might expect.

So, to answer your question concerning use - I feel that fiberglass drums can be a great choice for both live and studio.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, feel free to message me here on DFO.

All the best!

Billy G.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hope I'm not stepping on toes here but my first pro-grade set was a set of Pearl Fiberglass drums. I agree they can sound fantastic. I think they may actually have better attack and projection (volume) than some wood drums. I understand Steve Gadd used a modified Pearl Fiberglass set on many of his seminal 70s recordings.

Reaction score
Pounder - I think the drum's you're referring to were the Pearl Fiberglass toms Steve played with (I believe) a Gretsch BD.

Billy G.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
BillyGoodness said:
Pounder - I think the drum's you're referring to were the Pearl Fiberglass toms Steve played with (I believe) a Gretsch BD.

Billy G.
yeah, billy...they were actually pearl fibreglass concert toms that had bottom heads added...WITH that amazing 20" RB gretch bass drum.
i worked at pro percussion in NYC during that period and there was stacks of chatter about that whole thing...lots of customized staggered lug 'bottom-headed' concert toms being bandied about :)

Reaction score
tradrad said:

Billy G.
yeah, billy...they were actually pearl fibreglass concert toms that had bottom heads added...WITH that amazing 20" RB gretch bass drum.
i worked at pro percussion in NYC during that period and there was stacks of chatter about that whole thing...lots of customized staggered lug 'bottom-headed' concert toms being bandied about :)
Yes! Those are the ones.

Billy G.

Drumbuilder123

Reaction score
Billy,
Thank you so much for answering my question. I actually build fiberglass shells and complete drums.
I've heard alot of people say they sound great, engineers love to record them etc. I can see that.
To me they sound "pre- E.Q.d Someone else said that and I agree. I guess what I'm really wondering is why
have so few people jumped on the band wagon?
Again Thank You So much for taking the time to answer my Question!!!!
Lane

Reaction score
Lane,

I'm not sure why more players haven't "jumped on the bandwagon" but it probably has to do with what they are used to.
I there will always be a place for fiberglass drums. They've been being played for many, many, years now.
Best of luck with your fiberglass drum venture!

All the best!

Billy G.

loach71

Reaction score
I have been using a Blaemire fiberglass kit since 1969. The Blaemires are great for drummers who do a lot of roadwork. The shells stay in-round, in-parallel, with bearing edge center-lines perpendicular to the shell. The shells are insensitive to extremes in temperature and humidity.

They were expensive... and the new Blaemires are also expensive. They cost as much as a pro kit, but you don't have to baby them like you would a finnicky concert violin. Unsubstantiated presuppositions about composite shells are the only reasons I can think of that explain the limited uptake of these drums by the drumming community.

Tim

fibes3

Reaction score
There usually a Fibes fiberglass set at any one time on ebay for not a lot of money.
It's an original Fibes fiberglass snare that gets expensive.

loach71

Reaction score
Jenkins-Martin makes high quality fibreglass shells. They have continued the legacy of Blaemire drums. If you are short of money, a good alternate manufacturer of spun fibreglass shells is the Mair Drum Comany out of Taiwan.

Latest posts