Fibes Brown Marble wrap set

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

These showed up locally. Martin era Fibes Brown Marble Wrap; 24, 13,14,16. Not a finish I ever even considered until last week.

They were played a lot by the original owner. There are a couple of patches of serious rash. The hardware is all aok.

I haven't had a chance to clean them up yet. I am probably going to give them a dusting and lube and put them into play for a bit. Everything suggests that they sound the business, and I have a couple of gigs coming up that will suit them.

Patrick

Attachments

• PC263733.JPG
    PC263733.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 17
  • PC263730.JPG
    PC263730.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PC263731.JPG
    PC263731.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 15

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
classy...i found those tom mounts worked best if you had a drum key/ratchet.

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Patrick! Beautiful drums. You're going to have fun with that 24".

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get the actual year they were bought. Sometime in the 70's was what I was told. They were used for years on the bar circuit. Dave, I know what you mean about the ratchet, the tom set up I want is too cramped for the key to work. Put the Novus to the bass drum and 13" tom last night. Everything came up well but for one panel on the tom that had an unusual amount of snare rash. (Noted but not commented upon by the original owner). The one serious flaw that can't be polished out. The attached pic is pre-Novus but no miracles happened subsequently.

I'll see how it goes. I want to get them set up and going for a rock and roll rehearsal on Monday. I figure that context will be a good test.

Attachments

• PC263718.JPG
    PC263718.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 48

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Per an older notorious DFO vintage parts / drum re-seller, you could touch up the snare rash with touch up markers and a quick coat of diluted wipe on clear. {Build slowy and buff} I took the advice and have done it on some of my restoration projects and it can work.

Nice set, BTW !!!!

In my late teen years when I had a rare night off from my Colony gig, I used to go see Rat Race Choir in the heyday of 70's - 80's "7 nights a week " large NY /NJ rock clubs and the drummer Steve Luongo, had a wonderful Fibes fiberglass kit with double bass drums and a cornucopia of most available tom sizes.{Gong also}
This is the best pic I can find with some audio/video samples. {You can't beat a 70's club band with three way monster folded Pa speaker arrays / Hi-Watt guitar stacks/ Hammond B3, Moog, Yamaha Portable Grand piano, monster sized Fibes kit and nicely covering tunes by UK, Bruford, ELP, Zeppelin,The Who and fusion music !!!! } https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE1827A0C393C8290
P.S. Peter Frampton alumni Bob Mayo played with them for a while before I was old enough !!!!

P.S. Also got to see Joey Franco a few times with the "Good Rats" slamming a huge Premier kit. {No fiberglass tubs, though }
:wink:

:wink: