header.nohb.html

Fighting cymbal stand vibration

scole

Reaction score
I'm getting that mid to low vibration hum from my cymbals & I'm looking to get rid of it. I'm aware of the Cymbal Resonance System (CRS) and was reading up on it. This thread on here had a discussion about it and a wider discussion on the topic in general and made mention that this issue crops up when you're playing on wood floors. Sure enough, that's my deal (laminate flooring over wood floors). As the CRS system is pricey, I was thinking of cheaper, alternate ways of dealing with the issue. What I'm going to try is cutting up small 2" x 2" squares of 3/4" neoprene foam (mousepad material) and using them as furniture pads underneath each foot of my cymbal stands. Anyone tried that? Any other techniques you've used?

Thanks!
Steve

scole

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that because I failed to do it. My kit is set up on an area rug (technically two rugs since one doesn’t cover the entire area but one is kinda thin).

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm getting that mid to low vibration hum from my cymbals & I'm looking to get rid of it. I'm aware of the Cymbal Resonance System (CRS) and was reading up on it. This thread on here had a discussion about it and a wider discussion on the topic in general and made mention that this issue crops up when you're playing on wood floors. Sure enough, that's my deal (laminate flooring over wood floors). As the CRS system is pricey, I was thinking of cheaper, alternate ways of dealing with the issue. What I'm going to try is cutting up small 2" x 2" squares of 3/4" neoprene foam (mousepad material) and using them as furniture pads underneath each foot of my cymbal stands. Anyone tried that? Any other techniques you've used?

Thanks!
Steve

I use a cympad moderator on my low volume cymbals - as big as I want on the crash, but I have to keep it to the 40/50mm size on my ride or it will kill the bell. On regular cymbals you still get the bell but the note is a bit shorter (and I still don't like it).

scole

Reaction score
I use a cympad moderator on my low volume cymbals - as big as I want on the crash, but I have to keep it to the 40/50mm size on my ride or it will kill the bell. On regular cymbals you still get the bell but the note is a bit shorter (and I still don't like it).

Nice. I haven’t heard of these. Do you use a pad on top and bottom or just bottom?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Just the bottom. I use a regular felt on top to keep the keeper off it. (The Tama quick release nuts. It's sort of a "don't mess with dad's cymbals sign)

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Somehow I feel that in your case floor insulation might work best. Decoupling a cymbal from the stand isn't easy, and if you manage to do it, the cymbal might develop even more drone that way. A wooden floor can sound good (reflections of the snare bottom), so I would only use something under the cymbal stands.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I built a simple drum platform using Auralex PlatFoam isolator strips (https://auralex.com/platfoam/) topped with with sheets of 3/4"-thick MDF and a 6' x 8' carpet remnant. The platform vastly reduces mechanical vibration transmission from the drums into the floor (and therefore, into the rest of the structure) and helps 'purify' the instrument's tone.

Here's a photo of a similar drum platform from the Auralex website:

PlatfoamSheet4__09747.1571861863.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I built a simple drum platform using Auralex PlatFoam isolator strips (https://auralex.com/platfoam/) topped with with sheets of 3/4"-thick MDF and a 6' x 8' carpet remnant. The platform vastly reduces mechanical vibration transmission from the drums into the floor (and therefore, into the rest of the structure) and helps 'purify' the instrument's tone.

Here's a photo of a similar drum platform from the Auralex website:

View attachment 512303
I just put everything in the Yamaha HexRack system for my at home drums.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put everything in the Yamaha HexRack system for my at home drums.
Not familiar with it. Does it incorporate some technology that decouples the rack from the floor?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think racks may actually be worse on this point. It rigidly couples the vibration to other things that can re-radiate it back into audible energy.

scole

Reaction score
I’ve already ordered those neoprene foam pieces that I originally mentioned for $16 so I’ll report back next week after I get them and try it out.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If its from the stands themselves vibrating, you might try filing the upper sections with spray foam to make them denser. Never tried it on cymbal stands but it works on motorcycle handlebars

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I just tried wrapping a layer of gaff tape between the cymbal sleeve and the rod - it didn't completely go away, but it certainly killed the worst of it.

dez

Reaction score
I just tried wrapping a layer of gaff tape between the cymbal sleeve and the rod - it didn't completely go away, but it certainly killed the worst of it.

If you refer to the 'all in one' plastic cymbal sleeves with integrated base washer, I tried Teflon tape (same location) with minimal results. I finally went old school on my stands with the Gibby metal cymbal washers, and rubber tubing from the auto parts store. Ended the vibration. Seems the hard plastic 'all in one' configuration, transferred the cymbal vibrations into the stand quite noticeably. I should note that I play only at home (softer trio style jazz) for personal enjoyment.

scole

Reaction score
Alright, so the neoprene foam I ordered arrived yesterday. I cut up the 4x4" pad into four 2x2" pads and slipped them under the cymbal stand feet. It completely eliminated the vibration-

i-VNtQw7D-X2.jpg

Apologies for the dog hairs. :toothy10: The foam worked so well I wondered if other cheaper variants of this might also work (I paid $16 for four 4x4 0.8" thick pads which I trimmed down to 2x2 squares). I ran down to the hardware store and picked up some foam pipe wrap (0.5" thick foam for 3/4" diameter pipe). Total cost: $2 for one 6' length. Did it also eliminate the vibration? Yes- but for some reason I feel that it did not 100% eliminate it like the neoprene foam. Anyways, there ya go. Try some foam underneath your cymbal feet. Hope this helps someone else.

i-R9KMf2C-X2.jpg