Filing/Cutting a Cymbal's Edge

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone file out an edge crack? What did you use? Drill bit (grinder) or by hand?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drill end of crack decide if worth it going further.
Sometimes that's far enough.
You now have a Rivet option hole. : )

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drill end of crack decide if worth it going further.
Sometimes that's far enough.
You now have a Rivet option hole. : )
Yes, indeed -- and I do like rivets. But, the opinion regarding drilling a hole at the end of a crack is divided. I'm more prone to filing it out since it's only about 1/4"

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
the opinion regarding drilling a hole at the end of a crack is divided.
and that's all it is. Every cymbal I've drilled to stop a crack has held up for 45 years and counting (on Zildjian B20 and Paiste 602. Diameter of drill bit hole -arrests and stops all cracking- if you have good eyes 99.99% of the time ime

You still drill a hole at end (believe it, you can do it) and I've hand- filed in towards the hole. End up with a "V". (don't have or use any power tools for this have plenty of different hand files tho)

Last edited:

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's good to know! So, it's just a hole at the end of the crack. What size drill bit do you use?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
3/32" for teeny teeny jobs;
5/32" for General most. (that's also rivet size btw- when you want to add rivets) )
Cobalt (hardened steel) Bit.
Buy (for cymbal jobs) (and keep on hand ) both

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, it's just a hole at the end of the crack
1st a short one .5" is on an old K 18. I did, see how this old K is same thickness bell hole to edge

EdgeFile 001.JPG

The 2nd longer 3" one, is on a Paiste 602 18. The prev owner started V (he missed end of crack, and I finished and stopped it cold.

EdgeFile 002.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The third on another old K 16" 1.25" ; didn't warrant anything more.

EdgeFile 003.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
finally the first one I ever did around 1972 still holding up on a 14 bottom hat A. It was all it needed.
EdgeFile 004.JPG

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was just gonna ask you to post some pics of your work. That's why I just logged in! Good info, thanks. I've repaired many snares but no cymbals yet.

What determines if you file out a "V" like the 1st pic, or simply drill a hole and be done? My latest A with the crack in it hasn't arrived yet so I don't know the crack's length.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you 'think' you hear any rattle and it's a cymbal you want not to have a rattle in. The Little 16 old K I don't mind it's a trashy little junk yard honey; the 18 Old K I had to have it clean, no extraneous/ rattle.
The Paiste came to me "V" 'ed (I didn't do it) but he missed the end of of crack and I had to add a hole to kill the crack he missed.
The old Avedis is a hi hat bottom, and whatever noise it makes doesn't interfere.

So if it rattles audibly while playing, and is pertinent, widen the crack.

Last edited:

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you 'think' you hear any rattle and it's a cymbal you want not to have a rattle in. The Little 16 old K I don't mind it's a trashy little junk yard honey; the 18 Old K I had to have it clean, no extraneous/ rattle.
The Paiste came to me "V" 'ed (I didn't do it) but he missed the end of of crack and I had to add a hole to kill the crack he missed.
The old Avedis is a hi hat bottom, and whatever noise it makes doesn't interfere.

So if it rattles audibly while playing, and is pertinent, widen the crack.
Just arrived. 50s block stamp, amazing. It does have a noticeable rattle. It is such a small crack too about 1/4 inch So I will take your advice. Thanks.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
1/4"? ..small file (after doing the stop crack hole) should be an afternoons work. Straight in to the hole.
Or Pin Drill end check it and/or forget it.
Or..5/32" hole and flip in a Rivet : )

Last edited:

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I posted a sound file in AUDIO. Had to share it!

Reactions: JDA

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This gives me hope. It seems like every cracked cymbal I've run into with drill holes, has always continued to crack beyond the first attempt to stop it. And then there are often 2nd and 3rd holes, still unsuccessful. I guess I have to attribute that to not drilled big enough holes to start with and/or not digging out the original crack a bit more so the walls don't continue to touch. This gives me the impetus to try fixing this top hat......where I've just been playing it 180 degrees away. Great sounding new beat pair despite the 1 inch notch. UPDATE.....just drilled it out and opened up the crack. Hopefully, lasts many years.

IMG_20200130_003521.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts