fill-in gig questions...would you??

musicman64

Reaction score
Got a call lat night, offering a 4th of July fill-in gig. The regular drummer has to work, and can't make it. They want to practice twice a week..so 12 practices before the gig. Her's MY problem with all of it. All the band members live about 5 minutes from the practice site...I live 50 miles {one way} from the site. So in 6 weeks, i will have to travel 1000+ miles...just to get ready for 1 gig. And be the only one playing and losing money on the deal... Anyone have situations like this one to relate to??? Thanks and have a great day

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I would also pass unless you are helping good friends out of a jam and you really enjoy hanging out and playing with them.

Otherwise, a large commitment for a holiday gig that I would rather be barbecuing and watching/setting off fireworks with the family.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
errr have them Live Stream the rehearsals and tell them you're ok with that?
or tell them you can do One or 2.
Have you ever played with these guys before?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Heck no! Not unless they’re paying you for each rehearsal as well as the gig.

I sub for lots of top 40 country bands, and I’m never asked to rehearse with them. I’m expected to show up knowing the material and we’ll hash out intros/outros if necessary. If they have any “special” arrangements, medleys, etc I’ll get either video or audio ahead of time and learn it.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tell them you’ll travel to practice one time for each time they travel to your place to practice. Only fair.
I’d bet twice a week practices would no longer be necessary...

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Covers or originals? If it's covers 1 rehearsal a week should be enough. I only do one practice a week with the band I'm in and sometimes it's every other week. We play 90% originals.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tell them to send you definitive live versions of their tunes, if they don't copy the tunes verbatim, plus charts, and you'll be prepared. Otherwise, it makes no sense to do - unless they are prepared to pay you for rehearsing with them.

If you need charts and don't have time to do them all by yourself, there are plenty of folks who offer them, generally for a reasonable fee - and you can find a ton just by googling free charts.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ask for gas money,i would!
No shame in that!
But,i agree,have them send vids,charts,etc.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, if actually being at every practice was a deal breaker, then I would break that deal. I would let them know how flattered and appreciative I was that they liked my playing and had confidence in me, but it just would not make sense to play that date.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got a call lat night, offering a 4th of July fill-in gig. The regular drummer has to work, and can't make it. They want to practice twice a week..so 12 practices before the gig. Her's MY problem with all of it. All the band members live about 5 minutes from the practice site...I live 50 miles {one way} from the site. So in 6 weeks, i will have to travel 1000+ miles...just to get ready for 1 gig. And be the only one playing and losing money on the deal... Anyone have situations like this one to relate to??? Thanks and have a great day
I can't remember anyone trying to sell me on taking such a deal...

First off, 12 rehearsals for a regular gig for a working just to break-in a drummer is absurd. And unless this some mondo original music thing, if that is their regular rehearsal schedule then their regular drummer is nuts. Either way it's all incredible high-school sounding to me. And I'm not thinking in terms of the whole studio world thing - I mean in the context of regular gigging - weddings, bar gigs, etc.

Anyway, if you don't want to out right say no - then do the "pro" thing and put a price on it - break it down for them.

Like you'll do the gig and one rehearsal for $X.

Then each additional rehearsal is say $50 (or whatever works for you) - plus the driving at the standard reimbursement rate for 2019 of .58 per mile. That wouldn't even be charging for your time - just what it costs to reimburse you for the actual expense (gas, wear and tear to your car) for doing it.

So if they want to do all of that - then it be $50 + $46.40 = 96.40 for each rehearsal or $1060.40 for all 11 -

- plus whatever the gig pays.

Personally I love how - instead of just saying no - this way points out the absurdity of what they are asking you to invest - in THEIR business venture.

Anyway - good luck...

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
I've never encountered a situation like the one you describe.

I'd GRACIOUSLY decline (never, ever burn bridges). Realize, however, you're gonna take a bath in this current scenario -- unless some applicable concessions are made.

If you love to perform so much and this band would be willing to work with you, read: monetary compensation, by all means go for it!

Last edited: