Filling holes in Bass Drum Shell

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys,

Question for you:

When filling holes in a bass drum shell, what do you put over the hole on the inside of the shell before you fill the hole with wood filler? Anyone use masking tape? Thanks ! Retro.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer filling drilled (i.e. small, round) holes with dowel. A scant amount of filler can then be used to smooth out any interior gaps and i sand the exterior and leave it alone especially if the shell will get a rewrap of pearl covering.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep.
Dowel. Trim. Fill. Sand.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
When filling bigger holes left by brackets and mounts I put masking tape on the outside of the shell then use fiberglass (resin and cloth) from the inside to fill the hole. The masking tape acts as a mold so I only have to sand the interior side of the patch.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How big are the holes? Screw holes or tom mount holes? For screw holes, I put painters tape on the inside, and patch with wood filler from the outside. It takes a few passes to get it to dry, then overflow, and repeat until the entire hole is filled & has dried with overflow, then sand it smooth with 400 grit.
For the inside, same thing from reverse. Overpatch then sand smooth with 400. Done this a few times on snares & tom holes with great permanent success.

For larger holes, I've only done it once. I had a 10x14 Gretsch 70's tom with that huge tom mount.
I sent it to Precision to rewrap in glass glitter (a fabulous job & color!), and then from the inside, I used Liquid Nails and did thin applications with a putty knife. The wrap held it in place and it worked great. The only thing left to do is sand smooth & touch up with grey sealer paint but I haven'd done that yet.

I've never cut a portion of a shell out to fill a larger hole, and I don't do the dowel thing either.....

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall someone taping a playing card to the inside of the shell and using plasticwood to fill in larger holes.

Creighton

Reaction score
I've made 3 ply plugs for old Slingerlands. Matches original better than a dowel. South American mahogany can be salvaged from garage sale tables and such. Woodcrafters has maple.
Creighton

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few different size plug cutters, they are tapered for a snug fit. Also cuts them from the face so the grain is the same.
I have made them from mahogany and maple to match the interior wood.
Thought maybe I would try something a little different for my Gretsch kit.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you guys! The holes I have to fill are pretty small, its just that there are about 8 of them. I'll try the painters tape on the inside / plastic wood filler method and see how that goes.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Retro, this is the filler I have used with ease and great success (mine was natural light wood color, though). They make a "stainable" version, too, but I've only just painted over it with success:

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
If anyone’s looking for donor wood i’ve contacted shell manufacturers in the past for cut offs. Usually 3-4” of whatever size/ply etc and they've sent them very reasonably (if not free). If you can get into my “Gallery” there’s a fairly extensive repair I did on a Gretsch BD several years ago. I’d do it the same today if I had to do it all over again.

Edit: Here’s a link if you ever need to patch large holes. Repair turned out well.

Last edited:

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer filling drilled (i.e. small, round) holes with dowel. A scant amount of filler can then be used to smooth out any interior gaps and i sand the exterior and leave it alone especially if the shell will get a rewrap of pearl covering.
+1

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For larger holes, is there any material that y'all would say to stay away from? I've seen it said that if the filler material is too hard it can affect the drum's ability to vibrate, more so than having a hole drilled in the first place (which really doesn't change the sound at all). Anyone encountered anything like that? I'm wanting to fill a Ludwig kick with a hole for a center-mount post. That's about a 1-inch hole, right? I haven't bothered to measure it.

Latest posts