Filling holes

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. Im seeking
1. Anecdotal practical experience 2. Before and after photos

I have recieved delivery of a yamaha tom mounting system exactly like the one I had on my old gretsch kit.
Screenshot_20200808-145015_Photos.jpg

I am going to take off my rail mount system from my Slingerlands and put on the Yamaha.

The easy way is to send it to Precision Drum Company. I already got the price quote.

OR

I can do it myself.
The easy part is attaching the mounts.

The problem is filling the holes.
I already lined everything up.
I will have to fill 4 holes on the 12" and 2 holes on the 16"

Also i have 2 holes in my floor tom from the internal mute...that i didnt re install. I want to fill those.

Gary at Precision told me how to fill holes using the dowels and wood glue method.

Anyone try this? Can you show me before and after pics?

My wife says "just send them to Precision...get it done right"

20200808_180843.jpg

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking forward to your input/experiences

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
The other thing im deciding on is that it looks like the bass drum mount will have to go where my Slingerland badge is right now.
So do I move the badge(and put it where the gretsch badge is located) or just end up with a bass drum with no badge?

I think Id like a badge.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dowels are the absolutely worst way to fill holes. The grain runs lengthwise so on a natural finished drum it will be end grain that you see and will look like crap. Tapered maple wood plugs are the best way to do it. They fit tight and will blend in when you finish it. On a wrapped kit it is not an issue for the end grain but tapered plugs are still a superior way to do it.

On a drum that already has a finish on it I would just use chrome carriage bolts. They will fill the holes and will look nice. Otherwise you will need to cut plugs of matching wrap to fill in the holes after you plug them or try to paint them with nail polish or other paints to try to make it blend in.

As far as the badge, I would relocate it.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you just prefer the look of that rail?
Im sick and tired of dealing with the rail mount. I dont mind the look but i like the clean look of the yamaha. And its so freaking solid and easy. Also the yamaha gives me unlimited options on how i set the 12"

I dont have to worry about leaving the tool home either..or losing it.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dowels are the absolutely worst way to fill holes. The grain runs lengthwise so on a natural finished drum it will be end grain that you see and will look like crap. Tapered maple wood plugs are the best way to do it. They fit tight and will blend in when you finish it. On a wrapped kit it is not an issue for the end grain but tapered plugs are still a superior way to do it.

On a drum that already has a finish on it I would just use chrome carriage bolts. They will fill the holes and will look nice. Otherwise you will need to cut plugs of matching wrap to fill in the holes after you plug them or try to paint them with nail polish or other paints to try to make it blend in.

As far as the badge, I would relocate it.
Ok. Hmm. Maybe tapered plugs are what precision will use?

Im probably just going to send them away tomorrow.

Seems like too much hassle for me to do

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
makes no matter who closes the holes up, or with what, you will see them,
Maybe. Probably.

Would love to see some examples from some of our members here. See what has been done before I try it.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
You will not be able to spot it a foot away on a sparkle wrap if you do a good job. If it is an old wrap you are more likely to see any fading that becomes visible when you remove the diamond plate. Pearls are more of a challenge because of their large patterns.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is an extreme example. I had to turn a tapered plug out of African Mahogany. Still haven't found a piece of wrap to fill the hole.

small.jpg

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm. You make some encouraging points.
My wrap is 4 years old. Still looks brand new.

After seeing the champagne sparkle above I was a little nervous yesterday but what you just said makes sense.

1. It will be the same wrap from the same company
2. It will be Precision drum company doing it. Cannot get any better. They are the best at what they do.
3. It will be only two holes to fill on the bass drum. Hardly be able to see them.
4. 4 tiny holes where the rail mount tom plate is now. The screws are at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock in a diamond shape vs Yamaha which is a rectangle and much smaller footprint (see photos above). Holes are more like 1,5,7 and 11 oclock.

So unfortunately no overlapping.

I trust gary. He would have told me it wont match and recommended against it if he couldn't do it right

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I dont think I will need to move the badge. Looks ok. Right?
20200812_121239.jpg
20200812_121215.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would you move it to? If anything, center between the mount and hoop?

I am not a fan of the Yamaha mount and that kit looks so sweet (and right) with a rail.....but do what you gotta do....

ThomasL

Reaction score
Thanks.

Cool. So those two were using a dowel or maple insert method?
I used a plug cutter drill bit and a drill press to make plugs the next size larger than the holes and then I enlarged the holes so that the plugs fit really snugly. I didn't have any maple around, so the plugs are probably beech, either from a piece of Sonor shell of then massive wood. Since you cannot sand from the outside and probably don't want to sand from the inside, you have to get the length and surface curvature of the plugs right from the beginning.

And don't use too much glue when you glue the wrap pieces: solvents that remove the glue will likely damage the wrap.

The only vintage wrap I had was the inlay from a Ludwig hoop that was so narrow that the largest hole had to be patched with two pieces.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool.
I sent my drums off to precision. They use dowels. He said you can only tell from close up.
BUT
My bass drum will be easy.
Its the 12" im worried about. But even then the tom mount will cover half of the re-covered holes.

Heck if it doesnt work he can just rewrap the whole kit in a new wrap!

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where would you move it to? If anything, center between the mount and hoop?

I am not a fan of the Yamaha mount and that kit looks so sweet (and right) with a rail.....but do what you gotta do....
The badge would be moved to the batter end of the drum. Just like gretsch or yamaha
Screenshot_20200812-185333_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry - don't like that. I'd probably leave it where is. I don't recall if that is an original 12x16 or was cut down. If cut down, and rewrapped and extra holes for the aftermarket mount, it may not make any difference in value.